SL TT 1L... Should I get it?

Spango

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if the SLTT1L is worth getting as an EDC? I currently have an ARC LSL-S as an EDC, but sometimes, I don't find the throw satisfying enough. So I was wondering if the SLTT1L would be a good candidate for EDC, and what about the SLTT2L? How much better is it than the SLTT1L? I also EDC a PM6 when more light is desired. Thank you.

unclearty

Enlightened
I must tell you..I really like my TT1L..it's probably my favorite light right now. Not the farthest throw or brightest, but a very good sized light. Got one for my Dad's birthday..he never thought he'd actually like a flashlight.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 1L and it will have a place in the line up.There are brighter and smaller lights but for a led/xenon incand single 123 it is well worth the money. The led is great for low level light, and the xenon is really bright with fair throw for the cost. I haven't had my hands on a 2L yet so I can't comment on it. (yet) Buy both.

Spango

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
gadgetnut said:
Get it. It's only $20! How can you go wrong? I have the 2L and LOVE it. The 1L would be a better size for EDC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh.... but it won't be only $20 after shipping.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

To All:

I don't really like the way the switch cycles through the Xenon and LEDs.... How bright is the LED and Xenon light? How's the throw? I know there're review sites, but those are just numbers. What I am interested in are real life examples.....

Also, how much are the replacement bulbs, and are they reliable? Can the light still operate without the incandescent lamp? Thanks!

unclearty

Enlightened
The leds never need changing, and yes..they do operate if the Xenon burns out. I really like the way this light "feels"..and I've grown to like the switch..it's solid and it's no big deal to cycle it from Xenon to LED.
Great little light. I tend to pick it up more than any other when I go outside at night.

Spango

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
unclearty said:
The leds never need changing, and yes..they do operate if the Xenon burns out. I really like the way this light "feels"..and I've grown to like the switch..it's solid and it's no big deal to cycle it from Xenon to LED.
Great little light. I tend to pick it up more than any other when I go outside at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I meant to ask was the replacement for the Xenon bulbs. I don't really see them being sold anywhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Xenon bulb on the Streamlight 1L and the Arc LSH-P are about the same brightness, but the Arc LSH-P definately throws farther because the HD/NX-05 combination makes a tighter beam than the Streamlight's 1L faceted reflector. You can focus the beam on the Streamlight 1L, but the tightest focus isn't that tight.

If throw is your main criteria for an EDC, the Streamlight 1L wouldn't make a good candidate, especialy if you weren't satisfied with the Arc LSL; which might have a similar beam pattern since it is a low-dome.

The Streamlight 1L is cute and small, but it isn't as small as the Arc LS, it is actually considerably larger lengthwise and in diameter. It is also heavier, but not by much; but since it doesn't have a pocket clip, it is more likely to thrash around more in a loose pocket.

What i really like about the Streamlight 1L is the dual level output. The LEDs are REALLY usefull. I find myself using the lower output 85% of the time. I guess the Arc LS has a similar feature, but only in moon mode. Sometimes 15-18 lumens is just too bright - the 1L's lower output really helps in those situations. However, the switching process is sometimes very annoying. When you turn off the LED's, the next button push will turn on the brighter Xenon lamp. So if you are working in a situation that only needs the 3 LEDs, turning off the light during an operation means you have to first cycle through the xenon lamp before you can access the lower output. This is very tedious when all you need to do is flash something very quickly... too many button pushes. But, i'm not really complaining. I think it is very innovative, if not revolutionary, that Streamlight made this dual level flashlight. I know that this type of technology has been used in headlamps, and in the Surefire A2...but for something this small and for 20 dollars... you can't really complain. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I use the Streamlight as an emergency EDC in my backpack. It really helps in my college classes that frequently turn off the lights for overhead projectors, slide presentaions, and movies. My Arc LS is very destracting in class, so the LEDs in the 1L are just perfect.

If you want this kind of performance in an Arc, you can wait for the LS4...it will cost you MUCH MORE than 20 dollars though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think it's worth it.

If cost was a concern, and you REALLY must have the dual output, spring for the Streamlight 2L. It is still big, and doesn't have a pocket clip, but if you want power and throw, this is the light for around 30 dollars. I guess you can try carrying it in a belt holster if you find it comfortable that way.

..I'll try taking some comparison pictures for you tonight.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spango,

I purchased spare xenons from Brightguy.com when I got the 2L...not very expensive either $5.25 for a package of two. Also, get both the 1L and the 2L.....no kidding. You will really like the 2L to have in your house or vehicle and the 1L you can carry.

Mike

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think that something small for EDC and better throw would possibly be the E1e (altho the Arc LS is much smaller). I don't have a Arc LS so can't really compare, but for its size the MN01 (stock) bulb gives a very good throw. KL1 gets the 'wow' factor all the time, altho not that much throw, but bright enough for most situations.

If you're looking along the lines of a TT, then go with the 2L. On Quickbeam's TT reviews, you can see that the 2L easily outthrows even the 3C. Might be a little big for EDC, but if you have a pouch for it, I think it'll be a really nice light to have!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
The idea of the TT's are to combine the dim LED's and strong xenon lamps in one light. If you just want a longer throwing EDC than your Arc, try a UKE 2L, which is much lighter than the TT 2L.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed on the UKE 2L Paulr, very light and bright for its size... not forgetting that its waterproof and virtually indestructable too!! However I think it might be a little big for EDC, sorta like the TT 2L, unless you have a pouch for it...

If you must have a Incan with throw for EDC then maybe get one that is solely Incan, and then have a LED light (like the Arc AAA or Sonic) as a backup EDC as well, maybe?

Otherwise, the simplest solution to your dilemma... get the L4!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

onelight

Enlightened
I like the TT1L it is about the largest light I find reasonably comfortable in a levi front pocket,long run LEDs and reasonably bright incandescent all for $20.a lot of light for the money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I think the UKE 2L is about the same size as the TT 1L. The TT's are not especially compact. The L4 has more of a flood beam and while very bright, is not a long-throw light. The PM6 is a long-throw light but much too large for EDC. The UKE 2L EDC's rather nicely because of its light weight and plastic construction. It's less of a lump in your pocket than a metal light of the same size. Anyway, compared to a typical cell phone that everyone EDC's these days, the 2L is tiny.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are the pictures i promised...

facbc6d1.jpg

From left to right:
Arc LSH-P, Streamlight TT-1L, Princeton Tec Attitude, Surefire L4

These next 2 images were taken in my room, 7-9 feet from the corner wall. Pictures are underexposed to show beam pattern and more accurately show their differences.
Left: Arc LS
Right: Streamlight TT-1L
facbc6ca.jpg

Streamlight 1L using 3 LEDs

facbc6b9.jpg

Streamlight 1L xenon. Notice that they appear to be similar in brightness. The Arc LSH has a tighter hotspot.

The next 5 pictures were taken in my backyard, all with the same settings. They are blurry because i didn't have a tripod. The distance is roughly 40-50 feet.

facbc6ad.jpg

Arc LSH-P

facbc69d.jpg

Streamlight 1L xenon

facbc6a1.jpg

Streamlight 1L 3 LEDs

facbc691.jpg

ARC LSH-P

facbc687.jpg

Streamligth 1L Xenon

I know it's hard to tell from these pictures, but the Streamlight and Arc LSH are about the same brightness. The Streamlight seems a little bright in some pictures because the camera's CCD is more sensitive to it's color.

I hope this helps...

paulr

Flashaholic
Looks to me from those pics like the UKE 2L is a tiny bit longer than the TT 1L, but somewhat thinner, and a heck of a lot brighter. Also, don't forget the Surefire E1e if you want a long throw single-123 light. If you want something cheap and comparably bright to the TT 1L, try a Princeton Tec Blast, runs on two AAA's and is $6.50 at TTS.