PK Design Lab

Thread: Look out for Kitties sleeping in your computer chair!!!

Flashaholic*

Default Look out for Kitties sleeping in your computer chair!!!

After I took a satisfying bite from my peanut butter chocolate chip sammich, I walked to my room and without thinking sat in my chair. I sat there for a tenth of a second and thought it felt a bit odd in my chair... until I realized I was sitting on my cat. I quickly threw my sandwich on my desk and looked to see if he was ok. He seemed fine, but my primary concern is injury to his internal organs. This can be potentially deadly for kitties. He seems fine but I have to keep a close eye on him.

Now at this point I'm sure some might find this humorous, but I'm 6'00" and 250 lbs. Sitting on a 10 pound cat is suddenly not so funny. I can only imagine how it would feel if a 6,250 lb object landed on me. Even at half that weight, I'd be dead. Interestingly enough he didn't yelp. Then again he doesn't yelp or scream when he's in pain, so perhaps that's not all that unusual.

DO: Eat tasty peanut butter chocolate sammiches on a cozy winter evening.

DON'T: Sit on your black ninja kitty innocently catching z's in your computer chair!!!

Lesson learned.
    Funniest CPF thread ever. I promise it'll make your day.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Look out for Kitties sleeping in your computer chair!!!

Either one of my cats would have raised sand at that! My Great Pyrenees would have thought that just meant she would get to be the couch for the evening.

Fortunately cats have 9 lives, so if yours has been a particularly cautious kitty up until this point, he has likely got 8 left.

I have never sat on a pet before, but they have always been 80 lb Labradors so they're easier to spot on the sofa than a kitty. I hope yours is ok.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

*Flashaholic*

I nearly did that a few times, but reflexively pulled back before much of my weight was on the cat. By then the cat was hightailing it off the chair anyway. Hope your cat is OK.

My dog (half Jack Russell, so pretty small) actually enjoys being sat "on". If she's not already waiting in the back of a chair or couch, she'll often force her way in behind people. I guess she feels cozy back there, even though one can hear her panting noticeably at times.
    My cat, however, has learned this lesson fairly quickly, and vacates my chair well before my posterior reaches her.

Super Moderator

Glad to hear your cat is OK, dudemar. I'm amazed he didn't make some kind of protest on being treated in such an undignified way. Most cats I know would have retaliated straight away, probably by inflicting severe lacerations on the offending posterior, LOL.
    Resistance is futile...

Flashaholic*

Maybe he's more stoic than most? For whatever reason he doesn't yelp in pain when he gets hurt like that. I've mistakenly stepped on his tail with my bare foot many times, but afterwards it's as if nothing happened. One time I had the front door open, and I remember lightly closing the door when I heard an audible thud. Turns out I closed the door on my cat's tail! I quickly apologized to him and checked to see if he's ok, and he seemed fine. I think he's ok now. He can walk and doesn't show signs of pain or injury.

He is one resilient little guy.

Flashaholic*
    below polar circle.. in country which used to make nokia phones.

dude.. around you it seems he needs to be resilient to survive -glad to hear he is ok, but weird that he didnt make a ruckus out of it..
    *MaKiNG SeNSe iS NOT My PRioRiTy* *One is None, Two is One, But Butter is Better*
    *Flashaholism: DeeP DaRK HoLe im falling into, glad that I have my flashlights to light the way.*

Flashaholic*

He's an interesting and strong little guy for sure.

I'm a kitty lover and I can feel his pain!
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starbursts, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Flashaholic*

Are you guys really this bored to poke fun at me for sitting on my cat?
    Last edited by dudemar; 01-28-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Flashaholic*

I was actually seriously wondering if there might be something wrong with your cat. It is wrong not to feel pain at all, and what you are describing reads a bit like that (not just stoic).

With no sensation of pain there is no reason to avoid dangerous situations, and your cat could get injured without realizing it, and make the injury worse by (for example) continuing to walk on a broken leg or toe. If he really doesn't feel pain at all you (as a responsible owner) will need to be extra-vigilant at checking your kitty for injuries. If he was mine, I'd be taking him to a vet for some investigation to see what is going on (no pain sensation may be an indication of some kind of nerve deficit).
    WTB Any Brand locking pliers multitool, Kershaw Bit Kit, leather sheath

Glad your little friend is OK.

This story reminds me...
    I once sat down on a neighbors cat when I was 13 or so. That poor cat never made a sound until I got up again, at which time she emitted a hissing scream and flew right up in the curtains with a tail as thick as a table leg.
    She was OK though, after a while she came down from those curtains and went to sleep on the couch as if nothing ever happened.

That cat was 3 years old at that time, and lived to be well over 20 years, so I'm pretty sure I didn't cause her any harm then.

I'd be killing any cat in a chair instantly if I sat on it now, btw. I'm weighing well over 130 kg... So when I'm in a cat owners house now, I always look behind me before I sit down.
    I don't own any pets myself, a slight allergy prevents me from keeping them.
    Everybody minds about their make-up, while they should be making their minds up.

My flashlight collection.

Quote Originally Posted by dudemar View Post
    Are you guys really this bored to poke fun at me for sitting on my cat?
    I think you should attach a PakLite Lithium to his collar. That sounds like the ideal flashaholic solution.
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

Luckily, no one hired you as a baby sitter....

Super Moderator

Dudemar, I've sent you a PM...
    Resistance is futile...

Admin formerly
    known as 'Sasha'

dudemar... I am the one who "altered" your user-title.... and believe me, you have my most sincere apologies for misjudging the reception it would get. CPF and CPFMP have several members who have "special" usertitles given to them as a joke... or perhaps more of an 'endearment', if you will... and they have all taken them in the spirit in which they were intended which is never, ever maliciously or insultingly. I can truly understand and well appreciate your dismay and concern over the topic of your OP as I have five dogs and they have all been sat on, stepped on, kicked, banged, knocked into, etc more than once.... purely by accident! I too have felt the pure, raw FEAR and ANGUISH over possibly injuring them with my carelessness. We did not mean to make light of your feelings as everyone who has posted in this thread has been able to identify and commisserate with you. We only meant to perhaps bring some lightness and humor to a situation that most of us have also been in.

Again you have my most sincere apologies. I do hope you can forgive us. We will make sure we do not stoop to that level again.

Go away for a bit and I miss things.

How's the kitty now? My friend's cat kept trying to get me to pet it while we watched a movie last night, but I am allergic to cats so I didn't touch it. It's a nice cat though, all things considered. It would just gently put its paw on my arm, then take it away. Then put it back on, and take it away. It was kind of cute. I don't like the cats that keep walking by and rubbing against me, covering my pants in hair. If I wanted to pet it, I would do so. Rubbing on me just makes me want to touch it less and push it away more. Dogs I love though and have no allergies to. Weird.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

As a former cat owner myself I can also relate. Glad to hear your kitty is ok!

Hope the kitty is doing well. And sammiches are my favorite food group.

I've always worried that my cat is one of those types that doesn't complain when he should. I routinely wake up to find him sitting on my pillow. Under my head.
    Maybe it's just something about black cats...