PEAK

Thread: Mobile LiIon battery charger

Unenlightened

Question Mobile LiIon battery charger

so, is it possible to make a mobile charger from some LiIon battery with greater cap, like ~3000mAh (could be lap-top battery or standard e.g. 18650), to charge smaller LiIon 3,7V cylindric batteries, like ~500mAh?
    plz answer, because this will mean a lot to many ppl.

Flashaholic*
    below polar circle.. in country which used to make nokia phones.

Default Re: Mobile LiIon battery charger

interested to know too..

and to add little more versatiltity: is it possible to charge a cellphone battery with such an batterypack?
    *MaKiNG SeNSe iS NOT My PRioRiTy* *One is None, Two is One, But Butter is Better*
    *Flashaholism: DeeP DaRK HoLe im falling into, glad that I have my flashlights to light the way.*

Yes, of course. The main thing would be to find or make the right charge controller that used the desired input and output voltages.

Possibly a simple solution would be to find a 12VDC input car charger take it apart and hook that up to 4S LiFePO4 cells.

*Flashaholic*

You would be limited to the DIFFERENCE between them, as they would tend to equalize.

That's just if you connected them in parallel directly and they were the same chemistry type and cell count in series. They would then balance at the same voltage level. I wouldn't really recommend doing that though, unless you know specifically what you're doing as the rate wouldn't be controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by just curious View Post
    so, is it possible to make a mobile charger from some LiIon battery with greater cap, like ~3000mAh (could be lap-top battery or standard e.g. 18650), to charge smaller LiIon 3,7V cylindric batteries, like ~500mAh?
    plz answer, because this will mean a lot to many ppl.
    I highly suggest that you use the charging battery as the power input to a Li-Ion battery charger. There are many that are meant to run off 5V. I cannot recommend just damming cells in parallel to charge one, as this can be overly exciting.

Why will this mean a lot to many people? E-cigs?
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.