Today I got to get some "hands on" time with a SWM V10R Ti. THE GOOD NEWS: It's beautiful! THE BAD NEWS: Now I gotta have one!
A fellow member(I'll let him chime in if he wants) asked me if I could swap his V10R Ti to XM-L so I gave him what I thought would be the easiest, cleanest OEM looking option and a few E-mails later a package was on it's way to me.
Let's get started shall we...........
Look what the Mailman dropped off today. On the left is a V10R XM-L and on the right the V10R Ti.
Just like in my other thread, 2 pieces of rubber (from strap wrenches), a pair of vise grips and a pair of channel locks makes easy work of opening the head of the aluminum version.
Next was the part that made me nervous. I had heard that the Ti version was a bear to open up, requiring heat and all sorts of special tricks. You can imagine my surprise when................it actually opened up easier than the aluminum version!
Next step, remove isolator rings, reflectors and clean old locktite off of both lights.
Then desolder both emitter boards and solder them back into the opposing light.
Then finally, swap the reflectors over to the opposing lights and reassemble the lights using a little blue locktite. This is where you adjust the tension/play of the variable ring according to how tight you tighten the head back together, leaving it sitting bezel DOWN until the locktite dries so it won't get into the variable ring.
END RESULT: Now you have an XM-L Titanium V10R and an R5 Aluminum V10R with no additional parts to buy.
Hope you liked it,