V10R Ti XM-L swap the easy way.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I got to get some "hands on" time with a SWM V10R Ti. THE GOOD NEWS: It's beautiful! THE BAD NEWS: Now I gotta have one!

A fellow member(I'll let him chime in if he wants) asked me if I could swap his V10R Ti to XM-L so I gave him what I thought would be the easiest, cleanest OEM looking option and a few E-mails later a package was on it's way to me.
Let's get started shall we...........

Look what the Mailman dropped off today. On the left is a V10R XM-L and on the right the V10R Ti.

Just like in my other thread, 2 pieces of rubber (from strap wrenches), a pair of vise grips and a pair of channel locks makes easy work of opening the head of the aluminum version.

Next was the part that made me nervous. I had heard that the Ti version was a bear to open up, requiring heat and all sorts of special tricks. You can imagine my surprise when................it actually opened up easier than the aluminum version!

Next step, remove isolator rings, reflectors and clean old locktite off of both lights.

Then desolder both emitter boards and solder them back into the opposing light.

Then finally, swap the reflectors over to the opposing lights and reassemble the lights using a little blue locktite. This is where you adjust the tension/play of the variable ring according to how tight you tighten the head back together, leaving it sitting bezel DOWN until the locktite dries so it won't get into the variable ring.

END RESULT: Now you have an XM-L Titanium V10R and an R5 Aluminum V10R with no additional parts to buy.

Hope you liked it,

Jamie

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: V10R Ti XM-L the easy way.

Luck of the draw :D

I managed to open up a V10A with hand pressure alone.
My Ti V10R, no such luck. I would normally use a butane torch to crack open
stubborn heads but with Ti, I fear I may accidentally heat anodize it :(

Jtolly

Newly Enlightened

Looks awesome Jamie! I can't wait to get my new toy!! I'll email you when it gets back in my hands.

EspionageStudio.Com

Newly Enlightened

think2x, what do you think about a person leaving the reflector out and making a mule head for ultimate flood? Would that work? I have a Ti version 1 and am now thinking of getting a XM-L in black just to do what you have done and then leaving the reflector out of the black one that I reassemble. Did you have to heat up the Ti head or did you just muscle it off?

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast

think2x, what do you think about a person leaving the reflector out and making a mule head for ultimate flood? Would that work? I have a Ti version 1 and am now thinking of getting a XM-L in black just to do what you have done and then leaving the reflector out of the black one that I reassemble. Did you have to heat up the Ti head or did you just muscle it off?

You mean like this?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?336848-V10R-Ti-hcri-MULE-(up-and-running)

The mule head works great done this way but just removing the reflector won't work because the lens uses the reflector to hold it in. I use two strips of strap wrenches under vise grips to open mine (Several of them) without heat. Search "V10A HCRI mod" and you'll see how I open them. I've also done a red XP-E swap.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Baby brain, I forgot to look at the dates. Happy Fathers Day Jamie