Black Moon LTD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using glow paint and powder

Flashaholic

Default Using glow paint and powder

I have some green v10 and pure blue powder and water based paint on the way, and I wanted to get some ideas and instruction. My first project I want to try is my duramax flashlight from autozone. It has a tir optic and I didnt know where to put the paint to the get the best effect and efficency. I thought about painting the inside of the head or the side the the optic.

I know the tir optic is supposed to capture all the light from the emitter, but there seems to be some light still cast off the side of the optic. I figured this may be a good start to try adding glow. I've looked around at different projects and like the look of the glow in the flashlights. Just figured that with paint and powder I may have the most options for mods.

Default Re: Using glow paint and powder

Moved to Electroluminescent/GID - Norm

well 1st off..... water and Glow Inc. powders are NOT friendly! ONLY the encapsulated glow powder works well with water based paints. your better off using either epoxy, lacquer, enamel or some other non-water based mix. just an fyi based on exp.
    if your not wearing a #12 welding screen than it ain't bright enough! "Hand-Sun H.I.D." 55w & 75w(for sale), Rocky 3w LED, Stanley 109 35w mod'd, Maxa-Beam Gen II, 55w hid/100w incan Vector Twin, 400w MH long arc, 100w MH mid arc. Amondotech n30.

Flashaholic

I actually purchased powder and premixed paint from glow inc in the green v10 and pure blue color.

well i've worked with all of them, the glow in the water based paint is encapsulated, the powders you buy are not unless specifically stated so, Soooo IF your mixing the powders in a water based paint it will degrade the effects of the added powders. if the paint is not water based then there will be no issues. all these factors are stated in the info on gloinc's pages.
    if your not wearing a #12 welding screen than it ain't bright enough! "Hand-Sun H.I.D." 55w & 75w(for sale), Rocky 3w LED, Stanley 109 35w mod'd, Maxa-Beam Gen II, 55w hid/100w incan Vector Twin, 400w MH long arc, 100w MH mid arc. Amondotech n30.

Flashaholic

I just bought some powder to mix with epoxys and the paint to use where I dont need the the epoxy. I didnt plan to add more glow powder to the water based paint. I was just wondering mostly about the best method and placment of the GID material in the tir optic.

well, if you give us some "from above" shots to look at, we may be able to offer some suggestions. i personaly use epoxy or GITD gaskets just around the LED base as close to the emitter as i can w/out inter interfearing with the beam.

Flashaholic

Heres from above. I just wanna try my first glow mod to a light then plan on moving up from here.

well, from what i can see, a wide but thin thickness layer of GITD epoxy would probably look very nice with that set up, just be careful that you don't get any on the reflector. i suggest a 2hr epoxy, roughly 1 to 1 ratio epoxy to powder, and apply with a toothpick & steady hands, unless you can remove the reflector, then do that, can even coat over the outside area beyond the reflectors base. allow to dry on Very level flat spot or it will run.

AND Needless to say, KEEP IT OFF THE EMMITER ITSELF!!!! LOL
    Last edited by FRITZHID; 01-29-2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: include warning

That's a TIR optic -- solid clear plastic cone with a cutout at the tip where it sits over the LED.
    I'm curious to see the result if you do paint the outside of the cone.

Flashaholic

Thats what I was thinking of trying, just didnt know if anyone may have tried this already. I cant wait to get the my glow powder and paint.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    That's a TIR optic -- solid clear plastic cone with a cutout at the tip where it sits over the LED.
    I'm curious to see the result if you do paint the outside of the cone.
    Anything applied to the outside of a TIR cone will stop the internal reflection.

i agree with Mike.... BAD Idea!

Flashaholic

But the optic should only be collecting the light from the middle of the cone where the led is stuck in. Putting GITD on the tapered outside of the cone should only collect the stray light that comes out the sides, atleast in my mind

perhaps, but if not, you could be seriously mucking up the stock design and effecting performance in a way that can't be undone. not a risk i'd take unless i had plenty of spares around.

Flashaholic

thats why I plan on using a $13 durmax light.

lol, well cheaper is always best for practicing! i've done a few of my 4w cree rocky's and a 5w Stanley spotlight, and did a few points on my 35w HID as well.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Rees View Post
    But the optic should only be collecting the light from the middle of the cone where the led is stuck in. Putting GITD on the tapered outside of the cone should only collect the stray light that comes out the sides, atleast in my mind
    Total internal reflection is a mechanism that depends on the difference in the refractive indices between two materials, in this case plastic and air (Wikipedia has a good article on this). If you place material on the outside surface of the cone, you've just completely removed that plastic:air interface. In short, I expect you'll drastically reduce the efficiency of the TIR to about the efficiency of just a simple lens.
    Last edited by Th232; 01-29-2012 at 07:10 PM.
    Finning does help dissipate heat. This is why the fins are removed before cooking fish. Otherwise it will throw off the heat and not reach the proper cooking temperature. --Duglite

Flashaholic

Well, I do like the light, but at the expense of $13 I can always try. If it works with this TIR optic with no adverse effects, then it would get great glow in say a terralux ministar31.

well not necessarily, the cheaper may not be effected as much as a high quality light.

Flashaholic

Well, i'm willing to take that risk for now with this cheap light and if i feel lucky move up something better.

well Good Luck in your endeavor! we await your results!

Flashaholic

Me too i'm excited to try this out. I will buy a few maybe and try different things for best results and have a control light to compare if adding glow to the optic messes with the light output.

Flashaholic

Well here's a little update, added the glow paint to the back of the optic. It now has a large smooth flood instead of having a concentrated beam. Ill post pics when I get home. I can't say the beam is undesirable, but I honestly didn't think it would change the beam pattern, but you learn as you go I guess.

Now, if you could paint the inside of another cone -- slightly _bigger_ than the outside of the optic -- you can preserve the air gap.

A paper cone with GITD paint should work nicely.
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Rees View Post
    . . . . but I honestly didn't think it would change the beam pattern, but you learn as you go I guess.
    . . . or you could have listened to those who understood how TIRs work, and predicted the result you saw - "Anything applied to the outside of a TIR cone will stop the internal reflection"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAusC View Post
    . . . or you could have listened to those who understood how TIRs work, and predicted the result you saw - "Anything applied to the outside of a TIR cone will stop the internal reflection"
    There's something to be said for experimenting - indeed, I did not know to what extent it would affect it. Rees, if you buy another Duramax, would you post comparative beamshots? I'm curious to see them side-by-side, nothing fancy needed. I would also like to see a "Macro Mode" shot of the GITD-painted TIR sitting on a table, if it comes out. Thank you!

+1 for trying things.

Quote Originally Posted by AnAppleSnail View Post
    There's something to be said for experimenting - indeed, I did not know to what extent it would affect it. Rees, if you buy another Duramax, would you post comparative beamshots? I'm curious to see them side-by-side, nothing fancy needed. I would also like to see a "Macro Mode" shot of the GITD-painted TIR sitting on a table, if it comes out. Thank you!

+1 for trying things.
    I Agree, experimentation is how many of todays inventions came to be. there's nothing wrong with messing something up unless it hurts someone as long as you learn from it!
    i self educated myself on electronics from the age of 5 until collage and most of that was trial and error (mostly error! lol) and now have a deg in electronics engineering, but i wouldn't have gotten that far without the experiments in my youth.
    keep it up i say! and post what you learn here so others can learn with you, offer advice, and take other approaches to find their own results!

Okay, i bought one and experimented - I put a GITD O-ring from my Solarforce in, wrapped around the optic. It works fairly well. Pics later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast