Want amber led that will mimic the color of HPS lamp?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
making them very similar to HPS orange, one of my favorite colors.

I've got so say you're the only person I've ever encountered that likes HPS orange...

Looking at the spectrum of HPS, it appears to have its primary spike at 570nm, with sequentially smaller spikes at 590, 605, and 630nm. A LED close to 595nm might replicate what you saw.

Last edited:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
High pressure sodium is rarely a perfectly monochrome wavelength and often has some minor bands mixed in.

The LED in question is either using a special filter, or is just a high bin amber for a specialty application.

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
Are you sure it's not the car's lense that's making the difference? In my car for example, the rear blinkers (aka indicators, aka turn signals, etc) are a pale yellow/amber, despite my best efforts to put in pure amber LEDs. This seems to be because of the clear diffuser in the light assembly, which seems to turn everything a lot paler than it is by itself; I think I'm going to need to add some red filter or something to try to get the colour right!
Couldn't find a photo with the blinkers on, but here's what the rear lights look like:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...bishi_TJ_Magna_Executive_station_wagon_01.jpg
http://www.eddywreckers.com/images/uploads/te-w_sw_tl.jpg

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
I dunno why, just an observation; my LEDs show up well and truly amber when unhoused, but when behind the lense they look really pale. I was unimpressed by the colour given by the amber-coated incandescent that's currently in there, bought some amber LEDs to try to rectify it, only to find the exact same issue (plus they didn't fit through the housing body fully, so half of the side-emitting LEDs weren't actually visible, hence back to the incandescent)

Sorry I couldn't be of help

Newly Enlightened
I would love to have an HPS LED. Personally I will be bummed when HPS are phased out.

pretmetled

Newly Enlightened
I've got so say you're the only person I've ever encountered that likes HPS orange...

Looking at the spectrum of HPS, it appears to have its primary spike at 570nm, with sequentially smaller spikes at 590, 605, and 630nm. A LED close to 595nm might replicate what you saw.

If you're really desperate for that HPS orange and as such mixing multiple leds is acceptable, maybe a combination of a 570 nm + a 590 nm led would do the trick? Say for example a 1206KGCT + 1206KYCT combo?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I think the phosphor-converted amber Rebel comes pretty close to HPS. It's a somewhat wider spectrum than "regular" amber, and the color appears more like HPS than regular amber (which tends to look like LPS). The dominant wavelength is roughly 591 nm according to the datasheet.

Kinnza

Enlightened
About two years ago, I saw some models of PC amber LEDs by Intematix. They were avalaible on a wide range of LED powers, as they used a ceramic base with low power blue chips arrays, customizable on power. Not a product they sell directly or retail, but for custom OEM orders. Likely it fits well with the LED you saw. Overall color tone was pretty similar to HPS orange glow, as in general PC ambers.

Those LEDs were domeless. Checking if the LEDs you saw have dome shaped lens or not would help a lot on narrowing down the actual model LED.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hoo boy, you're gonna have a heck of a time trying to find an LED with a spectrum like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/High_Pressure_Sodium_Lamp_Spectrum.jpg

If you definitely want it in LED, best to pick a dominant wavelength that you find pleasing (like 590nm) and go with it. Otherwise maybe you can find a small HPS unit that can be powered by a battery or something.

If there were 10 of them packed in, were they 5mm? Something like this?
complete20111212.jpg

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's possible that we also might be looking at a rare 'pink' LED , or a specific mix weighted more towards the orange end. I've seen some where the color is very muted and similiar to pink slanted HPS. Likely blue plus amber and red phosphor.

Neondiod

Newly Enlightened
I've find that mixing one cool white (about 6000K) and one amber led behind an opaque layer will be quite similar to HPS light. I find this trying to get warm white (incandescent looking) but the result was not to my liking, -it looked too much, pink HPS light for me :)

I like the even more hated LPS light.

Last edited:

Kinnza

Enlightened
PC amber LEDs already has CIE coordinates pretty close to HPS, at least, to pure HPS lamps (not blue enriched, the ones you are calling with a pinkish tone as compared with the typical streetlight; or maybe you are refering to a near end of life HPS bulb, which tend to get a very noticiable pink tone).

PC amber Rebel has bins color between x=0.55 to 0.581 and y=0.411 to 0.437. Roughly, center on bin area at about X=0.565 and y=0.423, for CCT of 1900K. They are binned at Tj=25ºC, but at the normal higher operating temp, they tend to increase y and decrease x, driving CCT up.

Most HPSs has CCT between 2000 and 2400K, with x between 0.5 and 0.55 and y between 0.41 and 0.44. So actually, overall tone of normal working PC amber LEDs is very close of that of the warmer HPS.

Just getting a batch of PC amber LEDs with slightly lower phosphor concentration, allowing for a small peak on the blue, would allow to a CCT on the same range than HPS, with similar coordinates, and a little less phosphor, close to the pinkish HPSs, which are over 2500K.

Last edited: