ThruNite "Ti", tiny 2 level 'AAA' (aluminum) light with 0.04 lumen FireFli Low.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
ThruNite "Ti", tiny 2 level 'AAA' (aluminum) light with 0.04 lumen FireFli Low.

~:) (late to the Review party, but here to share my delight in .04 lumen use)

ThruNite "Ti", (tiny) 2 level 'AAA' (aluminum) light with 0.04 lumen Low.

I will give my summation first ,

This is now my favorite Low Level "Firefli" , Round-thu-house NeckLight .

~

My overall impression of the "Ti" is very good. It was designed by ThruNite to be a "Firefli" low level key-chain light. It is also very useful as a lanyard neck light . I was very skeptical of this light when it first came out , since I was not familiar with what 0.04lumens looked like . I did not think it would be bright enough for me on Firefli mode , BUT ... I have since changed my mind . Now that I have one I can say that it truly is bright enough for covert nighttime operations. The .04 lumen beam does reach across the room and keep you from tripping on the Cat .

Manufacturer and Dealer Specifications :

TI (Black/Firefly)
$15.95
ThruNite Ti light are designed for Key chain application. It is the first AAA light with Firefly mode(0.04lumens)

Features:
• Uses Cree XP-E R4 LED with a lifespan of 50000 hours
• Uses one 0.9-1.5V AAA (Ni-MH, Alkaline) battery
• 7.2cm (Length) x 1.4cm (Diameter)
• 20-gram weight (excluding batteries)
• OP reflector
• Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery installation
• Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
• Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard
• Reliable twist switch. Tighten for Firefly(0.04lumens) tighten further for max Output(60 lumens)

Construction & Feel

It is a little larger than most other 'AAA' twisties , but that makes it easier to hold and operate with one hand if you have arthritis in your joints and swollen/knotty knuckles . The knurling provides just the right amount of grip and the brass threads contribute to the buttery smooth turning of the head . I also found out it can be used as 'Momentary' if you set it close to the turn-on point and then press laterally on the head with your thumb or finger . The internal mode switching 'Tab' may have to be carefully adjusted at times by the user as it gets compressed with use . The anodized finish seems to be done well and I like the attachment lug being centered so the light hangs straight. It won't tail-stand , but it was intended as a hanging light , on a keychain. And don't be confused by the "Ti" name they gave it ... it is actually an aluminum body light .

Beam & Tint

The R-4 produces a smooth beam and what I call a "Creamy" white tint . I would have preffered a whiter R-2 .... but that's just my preference. On 'Hi' it will light up the entire width of a door at a distance of 9 feet . On "Firefli" mode there is not much "Sidespill" light , but you can't expect much of that at .04 lumens . The central spot has to do, which is 1 foot in diameter @ 3 feet from a wall . This light's low level will be good for reading menu's or maps without disturbing others . The Hi level is bright enough to be a good secondary EDC . ThruNite says it has a Max lumens of "60" ... but to me the Hi compares to the Medium setting of a Q-mini AA , which is stated to be "25" lumens ... so I think the "Hi on the Ti" ... is somewhere around 30 to 40 lumens .. just my guess. (maybe the Qmini figures are wrong?)

U.I. & Battery

The continual one-direction twist is much easier to use (especially one handed) as a key-chain light . Much easier than ... twist-untwist-twist-untwist ... and makes for a good inexpensive loaner light too. They won't even notice the first level. Tell em just twist - and it's ON at the level they will expect . Run time on common batteries should be acceptable and since the use of 4.2v Li-Ions is NOT mentioned in the specs by ThruNite ..... I would advise against it.

Conclusion

I think this is a good value at $16.00 and is just what the Low-level crowd has been wanting. It IS very useful .The Hi level should be left as it is . Additional lights at 2 to 4 lumens will be welcomed as well . I would like to see a whiter R-2 version offered - but let's face it - at this size of light ... when you need light , any tint will do . I DO like this light and would recommend you add it to your collection . Craig had a good marketing strategy when he 'Torture Tested' a "Ti" light , and posted pic's & details of it . It makes me more confident that it will last as long as I expect it to .

Sorry for no pic's , but I don't do pic's well , and there are so many good ones already, it would be redundant .

More to be added later ...... as I use it and develop more comments .

~ TMG

EDIT ... side note ... EXPERIMENTATION ,

See post #14 for details ....

If your tab does break off , a square of QTC material inserted where the tab was .... may bring it back to life ... Per 127.0.0.1 in post 14.

ThruNite "Ti" light provided for review by Craig .. at illumination supply .. thanks .

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Re: TMG's Review of the ThruNite "Ti" , two-level 'AAA' (aluminum) light

Thanks for the review, TMG. I've been living with a Ti for a few weeks and have had the same good experience. It really excels, like you said, as an around the house light. I also got a new Preon P0 recently, but I'm still reaching for the Ti more. I think it's the smooth easy twisting and good grip as much as anything. It is amazing how usable 0.04 lumens can be.

Geoff

Racer

Enlightened

I've had mine about a month now and it's a great little light. It has seen lots of use and abuse in this short time and so far it's held up well. Recently we all got the flu and this light has been invaluable for checking on sick family members without waking them up.

There are a couple minor gripes I have with it though. The head is now a little wobbly, probably because it needs more lube. I also think the cheap lube they put in it is now gunking up the botton contact, which I'm not sure how to clean without messing with the top contact.

It also sometimes decides to randomly turn on, which it does a couple times a week. But since it comes on in firefly it's not a huge problem for me. The solution is to loosen the head a little more than I'd like to make sure it stays off. My theory is that the little foam insert sometimes sags.

But these gripes are well worth living with to have what I consider to be the ultimate night-light. I will probably also order the new T10 which has a spring instead of foam. Hopefully the moonlight on the T10 is just as low as the Ti. The T10 might be an even better night-light if it's less quirky.

Another observation on the Ti: It has really good optics so the moonlight mode actually has some throw to it! Moonlight with throw doesn't sound useful but it actually has come in handy for me.

Flashlight Enthusiast

agreed..nice lights.

I got some Fenix LD01...fine lights, nothing wrong, got 4, handed out 3

I then got 1 Ti firefly. Saw it's usefulness the first night. Now I got 10 of them and handed
them out as gifts. firefly mode and 60 lumens if far more useful than 3 lumens, 10 and 70.

you can use this on an airplane or a theater, or in bed with your squeeze, and the firefly light
is YOUR light and won't intrude on anyone else's space. and when alone waking up in middle
of the night it is enough light to navigate but not enough to wake you up fully. this thing wins
on a few levels....knurling is spot on too.

mrlysle

Enlightened

I've just NEVER been able to figure out how they could possibly put "Ti" in the name!!!!! First time I saw mention of the new Thrunite Ti AAA, I thought "there's one I'll just HAVE to get!" I love Titanium lights. The more I looked at it, the more confused I got! LOL I'm thinkin' "maybe it's a new coating they come up with for Titanium!" Nope. Just plain ole' ano aluminum. Still haven't figured out the "Ti" in the name! LOL Does look like a nice little light though. Recently ordered the PO from 4Sevens. Maybe after the novelty of that one wears off, I'll pick up a Thrunite. Thanks for your thoughts and the review TMG! (BTW, anyone else having trouble with the "smilies"? Maybe it's just my browser or something.)

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I received one of the first run of the moonlight TI's, and have been EDC'ing it on my key chain ever since I got it. Although I do like the moonlight mode, I prefer the 3 lumen over the .04 lumen for a low. All in all, a very good light! :thumbsup:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast

I received yesterday my new Ti and was happy to see that it is the 3 lumen low type: the real firefly mode of my T10 and T20 is totally useless for my old eyes. :rolleyes:

In this light I would have liked to have a bit more of turning between the levels cause in the dead of the night it is easy to turn the head too much and get blinded. However I believe that once I get the hang of it everything will be OK. The light itself is well finished and pleasant to use even if the tint is more warmish than my liking.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

~

Hi there Kilovolt ,

The low mode tab in the head gets mushed down over time and with usage.

Have you tried gently prying-up the tab in the center of the foam on the head ?
Doing that will give you bout half a head turn between Lo and Hi .
If you rarely use Hi , this adjustment should last quite a while as long as you turn-it just until it comes on ... and no farther. If you don't intend to use High ... you could consider putting some insulation under that tab . But be very gentle so not to break it off.

@ Racer ,

Wobbly head ? ... try wrapping the threads with white plumbers PTFE Teflon tape , used to prevent pipe water leaks . You may have to trim the tape to a thinner width to fit the threads. An application usually lasts a few months for me . As to the T10 , it should be just as low , has memory .... and IT will tail stand for ya .

~

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got one of the first Ti 2-level lights. I carry it all around the house day & night. A very useful and inexpensive light.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast

Love mine, neutral xp-e would be perfect. Will use this as my "small gift" light. Very easy UI and the build quality seems good.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

~

NoFair ............. in an attempt to make this Fair ,

You say neutral xp-e would be perfect ..... but I am currious ,

On which level would you be most interested in having it as a neutral tint ?
Would that be on FireFly or 60 lumens ... (or do you have the 3-lumen model)
and what tint bin would you prefer ?
What numbers are actually considered by most to be the Neutral range ?

Thnx ... TMG

~

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast

@ TMG: thanks for the suggestion, it's quite easy to to do it and it works like a charm! :kiss:

Racer

Enlightened

~

@ Racer ,

Wobbly head ? ... try wrapping the threads with white plumbers PTFE Teflon tape , used to prevent pipe water leaks . You may have to trim the tape to a thinner width to fit the threads. An application usually lasts a few months for me . As to the T10 , it should be just as low , has memory .... and IT will tail stand for ya .

~

Hmmm that's funny because I was actually thinking of using teflon tape! Great minds think alike. I discounted the idea at first (thougt it might look cheesy) but now I'm going to try it. Certainly it wouldn't hurt because it's easy to take off.

I get my Ti to tail stand just fine, even half asleep. But it's not quite as stable as I'd like with a night light so let's see if I like the T10 better. I do knock it over once in a while, which defeats the whole purpose of being stealthy when I get up. The T10 may be too bulky for a dedicated night light though, so I may stick with the Ti. Either way the T10 looks like it's going to another one of those "my preciousss" kind of lights, just like the Ti :)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ThruNite "Ti", tiny 2 level 'AAA' (aluminum) light with 0.04 lumen FireFli Low.

~ TMG

EDIT ... side note ... EXPERIMENTATION ,

I thought I had a bright idea of placing a piece of QTC material under the "Tab" ,
to vary the Hi mode ..... I tried it .... it did not work . Don't waste your time .
My Hi mode could not be varied by the QTC . (went straight to bright)

ok since it is a battery crusher and you said the above, I stuck a QTC on top of both contacts.

the thread pitch means you need fine control, but the light is now infinite level to max.

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ThruNite "Ti", tiny 2 level 'AAA' (aluminum) light with 0.04 lumen FireFli Low.

~

Glad you got it to work . My QTC broke into 3 unusable parts and stoped the testing .

I only had the one piece left . I guess it also means , if anyone breaks off their tab while adjusting it , a QTC square should get it working again . but those things are just too tiny .
They really should sell 1/4 inch squares ... more versatile .

Guess I should modify my initial comment now , huh .

~

Flashlight Enthusiast

^ I am sure the QTC won't last forever at the top, likely crumble from the edges of the contacts

it lasted fine for my 20 full twists

may need to toss it in at the bottom of the barrel

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

~

I don't think that will work with a fragment of QTC .

To stay in place it would need to be the same diameter as the end of the cell.

There is a tiny spot inside the battery tube that makes contact with the cell - .

I would only attempt to use QTC on the + end , if my low level tab broke off .

To use QTC on top of the tab will just chew up the QTC while the tab is there .

( I would think ) ......... maybe not .... YMMV .

~

Flashlight Enthusiast

it works fine for me. toss in the QTC, shake it so it is closer to the center than the edge

toss in battery, screw down top. variable light.