Led flood lighting to replace halogen lighting

Doxiedad

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I'm looking to change out the flood lights in my back yard. My back yard is 50'x50' fenced in with a lot more unfenced.

I saw these http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-F...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 and was wondering if they would be brighter/throw farther/better than what i currently have. http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans-Outdoor-Lighting-Area-Flood-Lighting-Flood-Security-Lighting/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbvmaZ1z1153mZ12ky/R-100652897/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I
love my LED flashlights and figured LED floodlights would be the way to go. It would need to be something that a DIY can do and needs to be something I can purchase locally from like Lowes or Homedepot.

Thanks.

MikeAusC

Enlightened

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Hi,
I'm looking to change out the flood lights in my back yard. My back yard is 50'x50' fenced in with a lot more unfenced.

I saw these http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-F...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 and was wondering if they would be brighter/throw farther/better than what i currently have. http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans-Outdoor-Lighting-Area-Flood-Lighting-Flood-Security-Lighting/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbvmaZ1z1153mZ12ky/R-100652897/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I
love my LED flashlights and figured LED floodlights would be the way to go. It would need to be something that a DIY can do and needs to be something I can purchase locally from like Lowes or Homedepot.

Thanks.

I have seen a pair of those Home Depot fixtures (or some very similar) on a residence in my neighborhood using to light up a carport. They bathe it with sufficient reflected light to read a newspaper on the sidewalk some ten paces away. I can't say how effective they would be in your application since the carport is a smaller and light-colored on the underside which reflects a lot of the light down.

HD's site is not specific on the performance, but I suspect that one of those fixtures will achieve parity at best (assumptions: lowballing 10 lm/W for the halogens, assuming that the "10W per bulb" spc on the LED's means each head, and also being far too generous that the LED's hit a miraculous 100 lm/W) with your dual 150W halogen fixture in terms of light output. I can't really speculate as to throw. Energy consumption will be considerably lower.

SikDMAX

Newly Enlightened
I have that exact model installed on the side of my house, and am installing at least 2 more to the front of my house - they are excellent.

Here is a shot of the light on and installed - I will get a shot of the light they throw this evening for you.

outsidefloodlight.jpg

Doxiedad

Newly Enlightened
I have that exact model installed on the side of my house, and am installing at least 2 more to the front of my house - they are excellent.

Here is a shot of the light on and installed - I will get a shot of the light they throw this evening for you.

outsidefloodlight.jpg

Awesome. Looking forward to it. Thanks.

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
The light data for a 150w halogen and this 30w(10w x 3heads) LED light available at Lithonia's website.

I've installed a few as replacements at moms house. It wasn't enough light for the 1/2 acre.
LEDs don't flood as well as halogen but their 'spot' makes it look more bright.
LED directional lighting also doesn't waste lumen into the reflector. Half of the halogen lighting is reflected from behind the bulb. So, if you don't mind the mild drop in output, less spill, and the spotty-ness(depending on distance and height of LED fixture), it might just work out for you in that 50x50 yard.

Lowes/Homedepot are getting close to a direct halogen to LED swap.

Since you're replacing 300w(150w x 2) of halogen, you should test one but you might need two. The other option is to wait another year or so. I'd expect that the output will increase as the lights go through revision upgrades. Just 18 months ago, the 30+w LED Utilitech outdoor security/flood type lights were producing 1200-1400lm. The newer ones are now up to 1600-1800lm. I also vaguely remember seeing 1900-2100lm outdoor LED lights at either Lowes or Homedepot.