Wiring for HID driving lights?

opposite locker

Newly Enlightened
Got some Bosch Compact 100 driving lights (w/ Narva Rngepower bulbs) on the way to supplement my high beams, but also came across a good deal on some Hella 1000FF driving lights with HID's installed. Would like to install these as additional OR-only lights around the ranch, with an independent switch that is in no way linked to the low or high beams. What components would I need to hook them up? Do the ballasts need to be put in some sort of weatherproof housing? I work on an orchard so there's always a good possibility of splashing muddy water up into the engine compartment, and EVERYTHING is subject to LOTS of dust in the summer.

The ballasts are made by Hella and have the following #s: 5DV 007 760-47 d2s;d2r 2000h.

The ballasts & bulbs are already hooked up to the lights...just need to know what kind of wiring/relay(s) are needed to get power to the ballasts...

superjoe83

Newly Enlightened
does it look like this:

889099376_260.jpg

if so, they are water resistant, they should hold up to general washing/rain, but i wouldn't submerge them, try to mount them where they are somewhat protected from the elements, in OEM applications they are mounted exposed under the headlight most of the time

Wiring requirements would be no different from any other type of aux lights

Last edited:

opposite locker

Newly Enlightened
Thx. Looks just like that. My truck doesn't have a belly pan, so they will get occasionally splashed by puddles (never submerged) and will be coated in dust. I'm thinking some sort of shield or cover will be in order.

superjoe83

Newly Enlightened
hella did, or still might make a plastic case to put these ballasts in to help keep them safer and also has mounting tabs, here is a pic, im not sure where to get them though?

DSC00020-1.jpg

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think HIDPlanet offered those at one time. Not been there in years, dunno if they still do.

That black round cap is a vent, and should be allowed to breath to balance pressure during operation, but as far as I know, everything else can be covered.