Are some people crazy?

dirtech

Enlightened
Is it crazy to spend over $200 on a Chinese made light? Just noticing how much some of these limited edition Sunwayman lights are going for.

If I'm the dumb one to think it's crazy, then perhaps I should pick one up (non limited edition as no way I'm paying that much).

Discuss.

fyrstormer

Banned
The best explanation I ever heard was from an episode of Smallville, where Lex Luthor was getting a talking-to from his father. His father said:

"When you're rich, you're not crazy -- you're eccentric."

Admittedly, that doesn't really answer your question, I just like the quote. Being crazy means not reacting to reality as expected; being insane means reacting to something other than reality, even if the reaction is perfectly rational; being stupid means not reacting in a rational manner, regardless of whether the thing you're reacting to is real or not. So really it's a complex question.

If someone appreciates a real object for a reason that others can perceive, even if they disagree, then they aren't insane, because they're reacting to something provably real. Also, if someone reacts to perceived value by attempting to improve their life by acquiring the valuable item, provided they can actually afford the expense, then they aren't stupid either, because they're behaving rationally. So then, are they crazy? Well, that depends on what kinds of rational decisions people expect other people to choose -- which is to say it's far too subjective for me to pass judgement on everyone who's ever spent $200 on a flashlight. :thumbsup:

dirtech

Enlightened
That was a very fine response.

I just see the hyper inflated(IMO) price of these sunwaymans as somewhat irrational. The weird thing is that it's made me want one(a cheaper non titanium model). I'm resisting.

When I could get a HDS for less, well that seems nuts.

BTW, I really dont mean to offend anyone here. I know what it's like to WANT something. I just spent way to much on a polymer pistol. I'll find out soon if the price is a value, or crazy on my part.

AaronG

Enlightened
yes ;)

I'm not crazy because first I paid $150 for the light and then paid $86 for a trit tail cap and spare switch. That's completely different than some nut job who paid over $200 for just a light :D

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The Sunwaymans are pretty badass lights, you should definitely look into them.

And we definitely have crazy covered
a1wTo.gif

dirtech

Enlightened
A V10A is probably making it's way to me soon. Just have to sell something first then purchase a high cri xpg for modding purposes.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
I think Sunwayman is crazy for not making more of them. Unless they sold at below cost (which I doubt), their V10R Ti2 is a great way to get word-of-mouth going for their brand.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it crazy to spend over $200 on a Chinese made light? Just noticing how much some of these limited edition Sunwayman lights are going for.

If I'm the dumb one to think it's crazy, then perhaps I should pick one up (non limited edition as no way I'm paying that much).

Discuss.
First, im praising SWM to make this reply less agressive
SWM's light are more serious than other chinese brand, magnetic control and supreme surface treatment, so smooth and seemed to be more durable than other black-anodizing
Straight-forwarded UI, like T20CS and T40CS, and V60C etc.
Well constructed body, stainless bezel rings
For this price(below hundred) i would not ask for too much.

Time to express disagreement on limited edition light, which is arrogantly limited to 80 pieces per model with sky-high price
If they are historical brand like surefire, then their limited edition(LE) would definitely worth
Honestly and this might anger some SWM lovers or who have bought their LE lights
Who gives a **** to limited edition by chinese(1) up-rising brand(2), C'mon, you just came into this market and havnt even have the seat warmed,now you are talking about "limited edition", gorgeous joke.
Even though they are building up their reputation, i dont think thats sufficient for em to be "honoured" with their so call limited edition
SWM might want to masquerade themself as iPhone by doing so
Despite the golden Ti V10R looks amazing, sorry, money would not get out from my pocket

Im a flashlight empthasist like all other CPFers and when i see my candy im willing to spend on it
But for SWM's so call LE, sorry, overly priced, maybe i would consider when they are Surefirely-reputated

Im not discriminating chinese lights, but hundreds of dollars on "LE" light, i rather to grab a Surefire

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

I personally agree with the OP .

In my opinion - the only thing that was special about it was the exterior finish.

And as I saw it - Many were angered that their light arrived very scratched up !

If the only thing about it that made it a "Special Edition" ... was the finish ......

they should have payed more attention to insure they were "Pristine condition" .

PS : no ... I didn't buy one .

~

PapaLumen

Enlightened
I agree, special edition finish but lots of poor finishes reported... amazing. Got to try better than that.

cummins4x4

Enlightened
I didn't buy one either, got a regular V10R for EDC. For over $200 I would save up a couple of more C-notes and get a custom.
BTW I really like the 2 SWM lights I have, good quality for the money IMO.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure that I'm missing some crucial details but "Made in China" and cutting edge high tech "Made in China" are two different things.
Most of the high tech comes from companies managed in Taiwan, produced in China. Worlds different than the milk or dog food with melamine or the kids toys with lead paint. -But I do hope that the electronics have genuine lead in them.

and yes, some people are crazy.

itguy07

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure that I'm missing some crucial details but "Made in China" and cutting edge high tech "Made in China" are two different things.
Most of the high tech comes from companies managed in Taiwan, produced in China. Worlds different than the milk or dog food with melamine or the kids toys with lead paint. -But I do hope that the electronics have genuine lead in them.

and yes, some people are crazy.
Taiwan is part of China, so there is no real difference...

Richub

Enlightened
How many flashlights are 'normal' to have? One, or maybe two. (backup light)

How many lights do I have? 26... And most of them are pretty expensive.
And I'm still on the lookout for additional lights to add to my collection.

Count me in as Crazy... ;)