half size aa battery with 1.5 volts?

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Hello, I would greatly appreciate some help with my attempt to find a cell that is half the size of an AA cell, but runs on 1.5 volts. I am NOT looking for Lithiums, I'd prefer NiMH if possible, as I am trying to run a single AA form factor light at 2x the brightness without exceeding 3V. Thanks in advance!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Hello, I would greatly appreciate some help with my attempt to find a cell that is half the size of an AA cell, but runs on 1.5 volts. I am NOT looking for Lithiums, I'd prefer NiMH if possible, as I am trying to run a single AA form factor light at 2x the brightness without exceeding 3V. Thanks in advance!
I don't think there is such as thing as 1/2 AA size nimh or 14250 size.
This is about as close as you will get
http://www.all-battery.com/13aa300mahhighcapacitynimhrechargeablebatteryflattop-10315.aspx
and 300mah is probably not going to be acceptable for runtime.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Dc38,

Good luck.

The 1/2AA cells that I am aware of are higher voltages running 3.0 - 3.6 volts. I don't know of a NiMh or Alkaline equivalent.

That doesn't mean there isn't one out there, it is just that I am not aware of one.

Tom

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Alrighty, thanks guys...You've been most helpful! :D I suppose I'll have to do something else then :(
I just found this on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIMH-Rechargeable-Battery-4-GRUNDIG-FR-200-3-1-2AA-WNMH-/120683022251?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1944c7ab
you could strip the batteries out of it but beware that 1/2AA may be not exactly the size you think. 750mah is acceptable.
I have seen some 1000mah 1/2AA but they are direct from china distributors (1000 pcs minimum I believe).

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Hello Dc38,

Good luck.

The 1/2AA cells that I am aware of are higher voltages running 3.0 - 3.6 volts. I don't know of a NiMh or Alkaline equivalent.

That doesn't mean there isn't one out there, it is just that I am not aware of one.

Tom
http://cnppbattery.en.made-in-china.com/product/keAQXFCDnSpf/China-NiMH-Rechargeable-Battery-1-2-AA-1000mAh.html
I don't however see any distributors carrying them I am thinking they are made for proprietary sealed battery packs.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just found this on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIMH-Rechar...251?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1944c7ab
you could strip the batteries out of it but beware that 1/2AA may be not exactly the size you think. 750mah is acceptable.
I have seen some 1000mah 1/2AA but they are direct from china distributors (1000 pcs minimum I believe).

Thanks Lynx! I've had some experience with the batteries in your link before, they're like the batteries that go into a home phone! You're absolutely right about their size; the individual size is somewhere around 3/5 AA. (I tried them already lol :p). I do have a question though, (my background in E/M physics and circuitry is very shaky) provided I HAD tried to use foil or something to complete the circuit to test the brightness, are the voltages of those batteries really 1.2 individually? Does running the circuit in series VS. parallel affect the voltage in any way? (The current goes up in parallel, right? o_O)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Thanks Lynx! I've had some experience with the batteries in your link before, they're like the batteries that go into a home phone! You're absolutely right about their size; the individual size is somewhere around 3/5 AA. (I tried them already lol :p). I do have a question though, (my background in E/M physics and circuitry is very shaky) provided I HAD tried to use foil or something to complete the circuit to test the brightness, are the voltages of those batteries really 1.2 individually? Does running the circuit in series VS. parallel affect the voltage in any way? (The current goes up in parallel, right? o_O)
The voltage of nimh batteries varies some, but typically is about 1.4v or so off the charger then settles down to 1.35v or so after a day or two. The 1.2v is closer to average voltage over the entire charge. Series = twice voltage same capacity of one cell, Parallel is twice capacity of one cell with voltage of one cell. Current is what is needed by the device, and if it doesn't exceed the ability of the battery then doubling up on them (parallel) may not gain you anything but runtime and perhaps slightly higher operating voltage if current is high enough to cause the internal resistance of the battery to be sufficient enough to have a significant voltage drop.

Outrider

Newly Enlightened
You might consider the 14505, they work great in my Xeno Eo3 and Balder 1 aa. Think CR123 in AA size. Non rechargeable
but at least good for checking output diff.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might consider the 14505, they work great in my Xeno Eo3 and Balder 1 aa. Think CR123 in AA size. Non rechargeable
but at least good for checking output diff.

Unfortunately my flashlight can't handle that kind of voltage...I have 14500's which work in the Xeno E03, but i have another light which has a max voltage of 3V, which is why i'm trying to get 2 x 1.5V small form factor AA batteries to work in tandem :)

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately my flashlight can't handle that kind of voltage...I have 14500's which work in the Xeno E03, but i have another light which has a max voltage of 3V, which is why i'm trying to get 2 x 1.5V small form factor AA batteries to work in tandem :)

The primary 14505's are only 3 volt.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
As stated by Outrider and Morelite, the "14505" battery sold by Battery Junction is a 3.0V primary (non-rechargeable) lithium battery. Sounds like it would be perfect for the OP's application. It is quite different to the rechargeable 3.7-4.2V rechargeable li-ion 1405 batteries sold by others.

When buying "odd" sized batteries it is a good idea to pay very close attention to the current they are designed to supply. Many are meant for back up power (to maintain memory etc) and can only supply very low sustained current (no good at all for bright lights which do demand a fair bit of current).

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Let's see now...

If the minimum is 1000 pieces, and each piece is one package of 4 cells, that would be 4000 cells. I guess we need a custom light that could take advantage of these cells.

Tom

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see now...

If the minimum is 1000 pieces, and each piece is one package of 4 cells, that would be 4000 cells. I guess we need a custom light that could take advantage of these cells.

Tom

What about a 6d Maglite host with a custom battery cartridge that would house 36 of these batteries? put in an HID and you're good to go! :D