Paypal help!!

dtsoll

Enlightened
I just got my paypal account verified and am going to buy a light. I know nothing about paypal except that I am missing buys because I don't have it. Anyway, let me see if I can explain this. I am buying a light from a guy for 45 dollars. I go to paypal and add 45 dollars to my paypal account from my checking account. It will take 3-4 days to clear. If I now send a payment to the guy for 45 dollars will it take the money that I am adding from my checking or will it take yet another 45 dollars from my checking account for a total of 90 dollars???? Don't know what to do. Another question is this, after the money goes from my checking account to paypal and I send a payment is there another 3-4 day delay again??? Thanks for helping a paypal illiterate. Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have paypal and a checking account and are verified all you need to do is click on paypal at the website you are buying the item at and Paypal more or less simultaneously sends the vendor the payment and makes a withdrawal from your checking account for the same amount,you pay no fees as a buyer. vendors/sellers are charged a fee that depends on how much money paypal handles for them. Can any body else add to what I have left out or forgotten or never knew

dtsoll

Enlightened
Smokin,
I should have just sent jtivat a paypal for 45 dollars, all would have been ok. What I actually did was clicked on add money to my account, my paypal account that is, from my checking. What I need to know now is if I send a 45 dollar payment to jtivat will the money come from the bank again? What I don't want to do is have 90 dollars taken from my checking account. 45 to jvitat and 45 to my paypal account. I'm not sure this all makes sense to you all! Anybody make heads or tails out of what I am saying???? Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If you send a $45 payment now, and there isn't yet $45 in your Paypal account, it will go right to your bank and take that out, meaning your bank account will get hit twice. Once for the $45 you're sending now, and the other for the $45 you already requested. So you'll have $90 taken out of your checking account.

Best thing to do now is wait until the first $45 appears in your Paypal account, then send that off to Jtivat.

dtsoll

Enlightened
Thanks Craig,
I ended up calling jtivat and getting the same info from him. I think this paypal thing will be a good thing once I figure it all out. This is what I love about CPF, if you need info someone will always help you out. Thanks again. Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if I'm missing something here, but I've never "added" money to my Paypal account, I just select to pay from my checking account and it gets drafted out. If you have a Paypal balance, that will always be used before other payment options are available.

Peter

dtsoll

Enlightened
Peter,
Yeah, the correct procedure would have been to just select to pay from my checking account but I instead added money to my paypal account, next time I'll know how to do it though! Later, Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug

Once the "2nd Deposit" is added to your PayPal account, you can "withdraw" it by sending it back to your checking account.

That way, you will have a "zero" balance on your PayPal account. That is perfectly acceptable since you don't have to have any balance on your PayPal account to still use it.

To add more confusion, I have a PayPal debit card which I use to get cash at any ATM to withdraw my PayPal balance whenever I want.

Marty

dtsoll

Enlightened
Thanks Marty,
I am learning more about paypal in a matter of a few hours than the whole time I sat a read their faq page. That debit card also sounds like a great tool. Is there a charge for it. I am going to keep this thing free if I can help it. Anyways, thanks for all the great info. Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
no charge to use the card for purchases but iirc not only does paypal hit you with a $1 fee but the terminal owner may charge up to $3 around here.fee free atms are rare around here.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also am new to paypal. When you send a paypal to the sellers e-mail, does your information for shipping come up for the seller? Or do you send a pm to the seller or an e-mail with your shipping address etc...?
Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If you input your shipping address into Paypal when you first registered, it should go to the seller automatically every time you send money to one.

Paypal sends an email to whomever you send money to, in addition to emailing you to let you know you sent money.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much for the help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif