PK Design Lab

Thread: Review of ThruNite pre-production 3 XML light with measurements and outdoor beamshots

Default Review of ThruNite pre-production 3 XML light with measurements and outdoor beamshots

ThruNite pre-production 3 XML flashlight

ThruNite has made many lights, this is their most powerful light to date. It has 3 XM-L leds and uses a magnetic ring for mode selection, on/off is controlled with a tail switch.
    The light is made of aluminum with anodized finish.

I got an early version of the light without any accessories or engraving on the light.

The light uses a smooth reflector with a 3 XM-L leds.

The head designed includes a heat sink.

Just below the heat sink part is the ring to control the light. On my copy of the light the ring does not turn easily, but requires some force, this means that the click-stops are too weak. ThruNite has told me that this will be fixed in the final version.

The light has six brightness settings, strobe and standby on the ring.

The backside of the head has a spring for connection to the battery carrier. This spring is long and not very thick and as can be seen on the second photo, I had an accident with it. ThruNite has told me that this will be fixed in the final version.

The battery tube has triangular threads with anodizing and a o-ring to seal the connection.

Inside the battery tube is not the usual single spring, but two springs. This probably means that the light has an electronic switch and might use a small about of power for it (Measured at 2 mA when switch is on and 0mA when switch is off).
    The switch activates when pressed half way down, i.e. it is a forward switch.

The light uses a battery carrier, that holds 3 18650 batteries in series. The carrier can handle batteries up to 70 mm long.

It has a small metal plate on the plus contact, i.e. it can use flattop batteries

The carrier is symmetric, i.e. it can be used both ways in the light.

Here is all the part the light can be disassembled in without tools.

Here is a size comparison to other 3 XM-L lights and a single SST50 light (That also exists in 3 XM-L version with the same size).

I like this light (Except for the two issues I mention above), it is one of the smaller and lighter 2000 lumen lights. The ring makes it easy and fast to select brightness and covers a brightness range of around 1:1000 (But the modes are a bit sparse in the low end).

Technical specification and measurements

The light is rated for use with 3 18650 LiIon batteries.

Measured size and weight:
    Length: 179 mm
    Diameter: 49 mm to 64.4 mm
    Weight: 607 gram with 3xAW18650-26

The light uses a 3 Cree XM-L leds.

In the above table I have collected all modes. The current is measured at 11.1 volt. All the estimated runtimes are with a 2600mAh LiIon battery.
    The current draw includes the 2mA used by the tailcap.

The first voltage sweep is done in high mode. The light uses the a buck regulator and because the brightness starts dropping at 10 volt my guess is that the leds are in series. To find the battery that gives longest runtime on high, check my battery comparison and find the longest cyan bar in the 3.4 volt chart (When I publish it).

There is no surprise in the lower brightness settings, they uses less power and has less brightness.

When doing the runtime it can be seen that the light reduces the brightness after about 3 minutes, this is done to reduce the heat (see below). At the high setting the light can run about 70 minutes.

To see how this light handles the heat, I did a run on my test bench with a temperature sensor on the light. It looks like the light has two ways to handle the heat. The current (and brightness) is reduced when the light gets hot and after 3 minutes the brightness is stepped down.
    A longer runtime would have been nice, but the price for that would be a larger light to get more cooling and that would not be so nice.
    Note: My test does not simulate actual usage conditions, but are done on a test bench with only the head of the light and no cooling airflow, i.e. the light will get hotter than during normal use.

The strobe does not use full brightness, but includes some pwm.

Filtering the pwm, makes it easier to see what the strobe is composed of. It is 14.5 Hz and 6.8 Hz, both with 50% duty cycle.
    The sequence is: 10 fast, 4 slow, 10 fast, 3 slow, repeat

The light uses pwm at 1000 Hz to control brightness, here is #5 setting.

#2 setting

Lowest setting.

Comparison to other Flashlights

ThruNite pre-product 3 XM-L, NiteCore TM11, Fenix TK70:

Olight SR92, Olight SR91, Olight SR90:

For the full comparison to other lights with graphs and beamshots see here

Notes

The light was supplied by ThruNite for review.
    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Default Re: Review of ThruNite pre-production 3 XML light with measurements and outdoor beams

Thanks for the good effort HKJ, hmm, another multi 18650 & multi XM-L flashlight to consider... as of now, I still unable to finalize one for myself which one to get guess I just continue to read & get information here

Default Re: Review of ThruNite pre-production 3 XML light with measurements and outdoor beams

Great to see the carrier can handle 18650's up to 70mm long. So using Redilast 3100mAh's should be no problem.
    Richie
    AE Xenide 25W, Power On Board 35W 4300K, TACTICAL-HID 24W, Dorcy LED 220 Lm, Husky 2D CREE 200 Lm, Mini Maglite w/TerraLUX LED, ORACLE 24X-9 4300k, ORACLE 35W 4300K

Quote Originally Posted by Richie086 View Post
    Great to see the carrier can handle 18650's up to 70mm long. So using Redilast 3100mAh's should be no problem.
    RediLast, Callies, EagleTac, AW or others, it does not matter, they all fit.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Thanks a lot for your excellent & informative review as always. HKJ!
    It looks the light has a resonable size & good regulation for heat control.

Also nice all botton-top & flat-top 18650s fit well.
    So can I assume that the current draw of each LED is about 2.75A on high mode for 3 minutes?
    Latest Review : Jil Lite PenENT Review

Sorry for double post.
    Latest Review : Jil Lite PenENT Review

Quote Originally Posted by candle lamp View Post
    So can I assume that the current draw of each LED is about 2.75A on high mode for 3 minutes?
    Yes, they will be very close to that.

Great review and outstanding photos HKJ!

I was contemplating the purchase of a Nitecore TM11 but I was leery about the finicky electronic switch and the fact that I would have to buy all new button-top 18650's to accomodate the TM11.

Although it is a bit larger than the TM11, I like the setup of the Thrunite with a forward clicky and control ring. Plus, it can run on flat-top 18650's. Step-down after 3 minutes is a little disappointing, but understandable given the size of the light. What level does it step-down to after 3 minutes?

Interesting to note that the Thrunite appears to be very similar in appearance to the new Eagletac MZ25 (triple XM-L) as shown in this CPF thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...25-coming-soon.

My dog ate my flashlight...

Quote Originally Posted by HIDblue View Post
    Step-down after 3 minutes is a little disappointing, but understandable given the size of the light. What level does it step-down to after 3 minutes?
    I did put that in the table, it was 78 % of max. if the light is keep cool. For a hot light it might be lower due to the temperature control (See heat curve).

Quote Originally Posted by HIDblue;3866921[FONT=comic sans ms

Interesting to note that the Thrunite appears to be very similar in appearance to the new Eagletac MZ25 (triple XM-L) as shown in this CPF thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...25-coming-soon.
    [/FONT]
    That light uses 4 batteries, that might mean that it uses same type battery holder as TM11 or that it has considerable larger diameter than ThruNite.

Thanks for the review cant wait, for the launch of this light
    “Videre Nec Videri”

Enlightened

Thanks HKJ. Any indication of price range?

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    Thanks HKJ. Any indication of price range?
    No, but it will probably be around the same price as other 3 XM-L lights.

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    No, but it will probably be around the same price as other 3 XM-L lights.

Hi HKJ,

Would you have an idea when this light may be offered? Thanks.
    Richie
    AE Xenide 25W, Power On Board 35W 4300K, TACTICAL-HID 24W, Dorcy LED 220 Lm, Husky 2D CREE 200 Lm, Mini Maglite w/TerraLUX LED, ORACLE 24X-9 4300k, ORACLE 35W 4300K

Quote Originally Posted by Richie086 View Post
    Hi HKJ,

Would you have an idea when this light may be offered? Thanks.
    No.

The DRY 3x XM-L is a nice light but it struggling to accept protected batteries is a turn off. So knowing the TN30/illuminator can take batteries up to 70mm is great. This looks to be the best "budget" 3x XM-L light whenever it comes out.