Review of ThruNite pre-production 3 XML light with measurements and outdoor beamshots

HKJ

Flashaholic
[SIZE=+3]ThruNite pre-production 3 XML flashlight[/SIZE]

DSC_0778.jpg

DSC_0948.jpg
DSC_0949.jpg

ThruNite has made many lights, this is their most powerful light to date. It has 3 XM-L leds and uses a magnetic ring for mode selection, on/off is controlled with a tail switch.
The light is made of aluminum with anodized finish.

I got an early version of the light without any accessories or engraving on the light.

DSC_0754.jpg
DSC_0756.jpg
DSC_0760.jpg

The light uses a smooth reflector with a 3 XM-L leds.

DSC_0761.jpg

The head designed includes a heat sink.

DSC_0763.jpg

Just below the heat sink part is the ring to control the light. On my copy of the light the ring does not turn easily, but requires some force, this means that the click-stops are too weak. ThruNite has told me that this will be fixed in the final version.

UserInterface.png

The light has six brightness settings, strobe and standby on the ring.

DSC_0769.jpg
DSC_0926.jpg

The backside of the head has a spring for connection to the battery carrier. This spring is long and not very thick and as can be seen on the second photo, I had an accident with it. ThruNite has told me that this will be fixed in the final version.

DSC_0779.jpg

The battery tube has triangular threads with anodizing and a o-ring to seal the connection.

DSC_0771.jpg
DSC_0766.jpg

Inside the battery tube is not the usual single spring, but two springs. This probably means that the light has an electronic switch and might use a small about of power for it (Measured at 2 mA when switch is on and 0mA when switch is off).
The switch activates when pressed half way down, i.e. it is a forward switch.

DSC_0774.jpg
DSC_0777.jpg

The light uses a battery carrier, that holds 3 18650 batteries in series. The carrier can handle batteries up to 70 mm long.

DSC_0775.jpg
DSC_0776.jpg

It has a small metal plate on the plus contact, i.e. it can use flattop batteries

DSC_0772.jpg
DSC_0773.jpg

The carrier is symmetric, i.e. it can be used both ways in the light.

DSC_0767.jpg

Here is all the part the light can be disassembled in without tools.

DSC_1027.jpg

Here is a size comparison to other 3 XM-L lights and a single SST50 light (That also exists in 3 XM-L version with the same size).

I like this light (Except for the two issues I mention above), it is one of the smaller and lighter 2000 lumen lights. The ring makes it easy and fast to select brightness and covers a brightness range of around 1:1000 (But the modes are a bit sparse in the low end).

[SIZE=+3]Technical specification and measurements[/SIZE]

DSC_0953.jpg

The light is rated for use with 3 18650 LiIon batteries.

Measured size and weight:
Length: 179 mm
Diameter: 49 mm to 64.4 mm
Weight: 607 gram with 3xAW18650-26

The light uses a 3 Cree XM-L leds.

Measurements.png

In the above table I have collected all modes. The current is measured at 11.1 volt. All the estimated runtimes are with a 2600mAh LiIon battery.
The current draw includes the 2mA used by the tailcap.

ThruNite%20XML3%20High.png

The first voltage sweep is done in high mode. The light uses the a buck regulator and because the brightness starts dropping at 10 volt my guess is that the leds are in series. To find the battery that gives longest runtime on high, check my battery comparison and find the longest cyan bar in the 3.4 volt chart (When I publish it).

ThruNite%20XML3%20%235.png

ThruNite%20XML3%20%234.png

ThruNite%20XML3%20%233.png

ThruNite%20XML3%20%232.png

There is no surprise in the lower brightness settings, they uses less power and has less brightness.

Runtime.png

When doing the runtime it can be seen that the light reduces the brightness after about 3 minutes, this is done to reduce the heat (see below). At the high setting the light can run about 70 minutes.

ThruNite%20XML3%20Heat%2011.1V.png

To see how this light handles the heat, I did a run on my test bench with a temperature sensor on the light. It looks like the light has two ways to handle the heat. The current (and brightness) is reduced when the light gets hot and after 3 minutes the brightness is stepped down.
A longer runtime would have been nice, but the price for that would be a larger light to get more cooling and that would not be so nice.
Note: My test does not simulate actual usage conditions, but are done on a test bench with only the head of the light and no cooling airflow, i.e. the light will get hotter than during normal use.

Strobe.png

The strobe does not use full brightness, but includes some pwm.

StrobeFilteredLong.png

Filtering the pwm, makes it easier to see what the strobe is composed of. It is 14.5 Hz and 6.8 Hz, both with 50% duty cycle.
The sequence is: 10 fast, 4 slow, 10 fast, 3 slow, repeat

pwm5.png

The light uses pwm at 1000 Hz to control brightness, here is #5 setting.

pwm2.png

#2 setting

pwmLow.png

Lowest setting.

[SIZE=+3]Comparison to other Flashlights[/SIZE]

ThruNite pre-product 3 XM-L, NiteCore TM11, Fenix TK70:
DSC_0912a.jpg
DSC_0913a.jpg
DSC_0914a.jpg

Olight SR92, Olight SR91, Olight SR90:
DSC_0915a.jpg
DSC_0916a.jpg
DSC_0917a.jpg

For the full comparison to other lights with graphs and beamshots see here

[SIZE=+3]Notes[/SIZE]

The light was supplied by ThruNite for review.

iron potato

Enlightened
Thanks for the good effort HKJ, hmm, another multi 18650 & multi XM-L flashlight to consider... as of now, I still unable to finalize one for myself which one to get :shrug: guess I just continue to read & get information here lovecpf

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks a lot for your excellent & informative review as always. HKJ! :thumbsup:
It looks the light has a resonable size & good regulation for heat control.

Also nice all botton-top & flat-top 18650s fit well.
So can I assume that the current draw of each LED is about 2.75A on high mode for 3 minutes?

HIDblue

Enlightened
:drool::eek:oo: Great review and outstanding photos HKJ!

I was contemplating the purchase of a Nitecore TM11 but I was leery about the finicky electronic switch and the fact that I would have to buy all new button-top 18650's to accomodate the TM11.

Although it is a bit larger than the TM11, I like the setup of the Thrunite with a forward clicky and control ring. Plus, it can run on flat-top 18650's. Step-down after 3 minutes is a little disappointing, but understandable given the size of the light. What level does it step-down to after 3 minutes?

Interesting to note that the Thrunite appears to be very similar in appearance to the new Eagletac MZ25 (triple XM-L) as shown in this CPF thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?331405-EagleTac-SZ25-MZ25-coming-soon.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Step-down after 3 minutes is a little disappointing, but understandable given the size of the light. What level does it step-down to after 3 minutes?

I did put that in the table, it was 78 % of max. if the light is keep cool. For a hot light it might be lower due to the temperature control (See heat curve).

HIDblue;3866921[FONT=comic sans ms said:

Interesting to note that the Thrunite appears to be very similar in appearance to the new Eagletac MZ25 (triple XM-L) as shown in this CPF thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?331405-EagleTac-SZ25-MZ25-coming-soon.
[/FONT]

That light uses 4 batteries, that might mean that it uses same type battery holder as TM11 or that it has considerable larger diameter than ThruNite.

l337m4n

Newly Enlightened
The DRY 3x XM-L is a nice light but it struggling to accept protected batteries is a turn off. So knowing the TN30/illuminator can take batteries up to 70mm is great. This looks to be the best "budget" 3x XM-L light whenever it comes out.