Free, Limited-Time Offer...Lathe Work - Not Too Complex Projects

BVH

Flashaholic
I am a new owner of a fairly large, 12-36" "hobby" lathe. I don't consider myself a complete beginner but more of a novice in "lathing skills". I've made a few precision parts for myself that turned out great. I also did some lathe work very early in my working career decades ago. I am looking to gain experience and to have some fun with my new machine so…. for a limited time, am offering my machining services (time and machine) at no cost for not-to-complex projects. Simply provide me your materials, pay shipping costs and provide me with a 2-D sketch of what you want and if I think it's within my abilities and I have the tooling, I will make it for you. Keep in mind that I am a novice and I may need to decline a job if I don't think I can do it properly.

I want to work with mild steels, maybe some 1144 Stress Proof, soft, non-ferrous metals and Delrin type plastics for now. No Titanium or other exotic metals. Metal and plastic sleeves, bushings, bulb adapters, maybe some heatsinks come to mind off the top of my head as examples but I'm open to anything.

This is a manual machine so I cannot make curved or rounded parts and I prefer not to do any boring out of any lights. I don't want to have to replace someone's light that I may screw up. So generally, if you need a part made from raw materials, make a post. If you want me to modify something that has significant value, go ahead and post but I will be cautious in accepting a job where I might damage your "whatever it might be".

ADDED: I prefer to make a quantity of one of whatever it might be. I want to try many different projects - and not get real good at one. Maybe two if I have to.

I'll consider requests in the order posted. If this takes off, I'll modify conditions and terms as needed.

My machine

IMG_3018.jpg

A short Arc bulb adapter I made

AdapterExterior.jpg

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for offering this up, very generous of you!

I might hit you up if I fail to complete the Swan Blaster lamp mount using my table saw.

moderator007

Enlightened
Thats a very generous offer BVH. I'am sure that it want take long for you to have plenty to do on that PM1236. You'll be a expert in no time. :thumbsup:

yazovyet

Enlightened
I have a project I had been thinking of a while ago that needeed the host made on a lathe. It would be aluminum. Below is a sketch in mm. The hardest parts would be having to start with 1.5 inch round bar (maybe smaller but i don't lnow), boaring the body (but the walls are fairly think and could be thinker if needed), and the threads. On the plus side I think you could do each part completely in one go before cutting it off the bar (depending on if you could get the tread tool in at the threads on the top of the body before cut off.
http://imgur.com/4dGBM
So if you were looking for simple stuff feel free to say no, maybe, or later; I know that isnt really a small or simple project but figured I might as well mention it. If you were going to go ahead and do it we would talk it over a bit. I can edit the drawing to be inches or mm as needed (it was just easier to plan in mm).

dj:litestick

Newly Enlightened
Very generous of you for the service BVH. I'm sure you'll be darn good at this after a while. An expert like someone else said.

I had some ideas bouncing around but once I draw up something I might send the blueprints your way.

BVH

Flashaholic
This is a bit too complex for me to start with. I've not done any internal threading yet and from what I hear, many of the machinists here at CPF use taps for anything 1/2" or smaller. I don't know what thread pitch you were thinking of but chances are it would probably be a special, non-standard fine pitch, maybe not even available in a tap? I've done some 1/2 and 3/4" external threads but not where the end of the thread comes up against a shoulder where there is no extra room for the tool bit to "run-out" in a groove to be able to stop the threading before I mash the tool against the shoulder. (Not sure how else to describe it). This could be a down the road candidate.

I have a project I had been thinking of a while ago that needeed the host made on a lathe. It would be aluminum. Below is a sketch in mm. The hardest parts would be having to start with 1.5 inch round bar (maybe smaller but i don't lnow), boaring the body (but the walls are fairly think and could be thinker if needed), and the threads. On the plus side I think you could do each part completely in one go before cutting it off the bar (depending on if you could get the tread tool in at the threads on the top of the body before cut off.
http://imgur.com/4dGBM
So if you were looking for simple stuff feel free to say no, maybe, or later; I know that isnt really a small or simple project but figured I might as well mention it. If you were going to go ahead and do it we would talk it over a bit. I can edit the drawing to be inches or mm as needed (it was just easier to plan in mm).

moderator007

Enlightened
BVH, I cut almost all of my threads running away from the piece. Machine running Backwards, the tool has to be on the opposite side to do this. I use a self built cariage stop to set the starting point. Makes find the starting point precise and easy. Running away from the piece you never have to worry about stopping at a set point. You only have to start at a set point.

simplec6

Enlightened
How about a simple aluminium heatsink for a 6 XML build? Like this but all aluminum:
light031.jpg

sadtimes

Enlightened
Any chance you could make larger mag heads to fit bigger reflectors? Asking too much? Lol

sadtimes

Enlightened
Any chance you could make larger mag heads to fit bigger reflectors? Asking too much? Lol

yazovyet

Enlightened
Thanks for considering mine. If you change your mind I'd love for you to work on it. All dimentions are approximate and the threads can be of whatever size is easy to do and can run into other areas as needed.

simplec6

Enlightened
Now that's what I'm talking about! That looks pretty easy. Will you PM me a dimensioned sketch?

Yes, I will PM you the sketch as soon as possible, thanks for the offer of this. Do I need to get the aluminum shipped to you or do you have a good source for aluminum? I have never bought any before and don't really know much about the different alloys. I will be glad to just send you extra paypal for whatever aluminum rod you have access to.

BVH

Flashaholic
Yes, I will PM you the sketch as soon as possible, thanks for the offer of this. Do I need to get the aluminum shipped to you or do you have a good source for aluminum? I have never bought any before and don't really know much about the different alloys. I will be glad to just send you extra paypal for whatever aluminum rod you have access to.

As per my PM, I just happen to pick up a foot of 3" T6061 I can slice a piece off of. Costs provided in my PM, plus a few questions.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been kicking around a helmet-mounted caving light DIY for a bit now. My general plan is:

Round (Not certain of diameter, and about 25mm deep) block 'o aluminum with three 15mm holes bored in a triangle. Finally, fins around the outside (So that this will look remarkably like a tuna can with rings around it).

However, since I don't know what can or can't be done on a lathe, I know you might need diagrams before you could say yes/no. I assume I'd be paying material costs, which is still cheaper than I can get something simple put together for experiments.

BVH

Flashaholic
I have been kicking around a helmet-mounted caving light DIY for a bit now. My general plan is:

Round (Not certain of diameter, and about 25mm deep) block 'o aluminum with three 15mm holes bored in a triangle. Finally, fins around the outside (So that this will look remarkably like a tuna can with rings around it).

However, since I don't know what can or can't be done on a lathe, I know you might need diagrams before you could say yes/no. I assume I'd be paying material costs, which is still cheaper than I can get something simple put together for experiments.

I can make the finned cylinder but I am mill'less and drillpress'less right now so I have no means of drilling precisely located and straight holes.

tylernt

Enlightened
Mag heads are a pain to make because they use a multi-start thread. It can be done, of course... it just takes 4 times as long as a regular thread.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can make the finned cylinder but I am mill'less and drillpress'less right now so I have no means of drilling precisely located and straight holes.

If you can make flat-bottomed holes in about the right place and size (20 +1/-0 mm) then that satisfies this project. I can't make flat-bottomed holes.