Osram Nightbreaker now available in 9005/9006!

Qship1996

Enlightened
Funny how they dont reveal actual light output in lumens. Brighter, whiter, plus plus plus, but no real specs.......all marketing

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Nice to have another reasonably legitimate option, but Philips Xtreme Power is better (less blue glass, more clear glass), and the Philips HIR1/HIR2, in applications that will safely handle the extra light and lack of blacktop on the HIR2, are better still.

haha1234

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the answers so far!

After shopping for prices on the Nightbreakers, it appears that the 9005/9006 applications are made in the USA, which seems odd since they don't use the Osram name in the USA (and there's no Sylvania-branded equivalent); they may not even have DOT markings on them.

Also, why doesn't Osram make HIR bulbs?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
What evidence are you finding (and where) that the 9005-6 bulbs are US-made and don't bear DOT markings? And why are you even still shopping for these when you've been pointed at two better options? Just curious.

Also, why doesn't Osram make HIR bulbs?

You'd have to ask them. It will be interesting to see if they decide to get into that business now that so many Ford, Chrysler, and GM vehicles, among others, are using the HIR2 as factory equipment. If they do, it will probably have to be a totally different design than Philips uses; I believe Philips probably has patented their design.

haha1234

Newly Enlightened
What evidence are you finding (and where) that the 9005-6 bulbs are US-made and don't bear DOT markings? And why are you even still shopping for these when you've been pointed at two better options? Just curious.

I was looking at online listings that are selling these, and they seem to say "Made in the USA". I don't have evidence regarding the absence of DOT markings; my guess was they might not have them since they're not intended for the US and/or they don't use the Osram name over here

(from a British seller)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RELASE-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27c094b46c

I was just shopping for these because of my own curiosity. I will most likely end up getting the Philips HIR's

Also worth mentioning: Xtreme Power does not come in 9005, only 9006.

Last edited:

HIDC

Banned
This is great news! If powerbulbs carries them with free shipping that'll be even better.

Both Philips Xtreme and Osram Nightbreaker lines are strongly recommended for those that shouldn't go HID.

hungyellow

Newly Enlightened
So now that these have been out for a couple months now, how does people like them compared to HIR2, GE Nighthawk Platiniums, and Philips Xtreme? I am in the market for an upgrade from my stock 9006 and I can't decide between these 4. Any help or pictures would be appreciated. Thanks!

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
So now that these have been out for a couple months now, how does people like them compared to HIR2, GE Nighthawk Platiniums, and Philips Xtreme? I am in the market for an upgrade from my stock 9006 and I can't decide between these 4. Any help or pictures would be appreciated. Thanks!

If your vehicle does not have the proper bulb shields (that is, they are only a ring rather than a full cap), you don't want HIR2. In that case, you'd want the Philips X-Treme Power.

Depending on the lamps, even with the full shield, there may be too much glare. What car do you have?