Homages? Tributes? or Clones? Thoughts on them

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious about the thoughts on some of the nicer clones that have been popping up. After almost getting burned on a deal for a fake Extrema Ratio RAO I was a bit irritated at them. Sad part was, the knife I got wasn't a bad knife. Really robust, heavy duty and a close copy of the real one. Had it been sold for what it was for cheap, may not have been a bad deal. No I am seeing the Senmaru CRK clones, and the other Sebenza and XM-18 clones for sale. The nicer ones having Ti scales or CF, and D2 steel blades. Running about $100 bucks, I wonder how much of a value are they. Of course I want a real CRK and a Hinderer, but simply have other priorities. And a Ti scaled, D2 blade knife seems like a decent price for a $100. I could have have a pretty nice Spydie for that, but even then not Ti and D2. And these do not claim to be what they are not, even if they look it. Wanted to see some thoughts on those that have checked them out.

Les George

Newly Enlightened
The biggest difference in the 3 (homage, tributes or clones) is the intent of the maker, I think.

For example, Don Fogg played a big roll in my early knives. He was a great help to me, at a time when no one took me serious or wanted to talk much to me.

If I got the go a head from Don and went back and re made one of his pieces in my style, I think it would be OK. Everyone that had something to say was good to go and everything would be above board.

If I made the exact same knife with the intent of passing it off as a Fogg, and told no one. It would be wrong, and low down.

Same knife, in different situations.

intent is key.

R/
Les

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kinda along with my thinking. Though I am still thinking about the clones that likely have no permission, but neither do they pretend to be the real item. Where the RAO I bought then returned was claiming to be the real thing and was not. In the flashlight world, the Surefire 6P and clone discussion will likely never end. And I personally won't own an surefire copy for $25 when a real one can be had for $60 ish. Yet I do own a Solarforce L2 Stainless as Surefire doesn't make a SS version. But, when talking custom knives, its a whole different price point and many that would never be willing to pay $300 plus for a knife, but a $100 for a copy would be a consideration.

Les George

Newly Enlightened
Everyone is free to prioritize their money how they like. For the most part, clones hurt everyone except the clone maker.

Or so I would think.... ymmv