• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

A very special request of my friends here at CPF

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,

As some of you may know my wife has been pregnant with our 3rd child and as very few of you know that this child was diagnosed with CDH or Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia very early in the pregnancy. The months have been a wild ride to be sure. I'm happy to announce that on Thursday 2/2/12 at 1237 pm my son, Coen Boyd Ritchie was born. Once he was born the NICU team here in Iowa City at the Children's Hospital immediately took over to get Coen stabilized with his breathing and heart. They did a miraculous job but unfortunately Friday night Coen decided he needed some help with his recovery and gave us a terrible scare in the process. It was decided that Coen would need to be placed on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation or ECMO. ECMO is extremely complicated for these little guys and quite frankly the scariest thing I have ever witnessed. During ECMO the machine is circulating and oxygenating the blood through my sons body allowing his heart and lungs to develop until he is strong enough to have surgery for the hernia and be able to breathe on his own. The ironic part to all of this as it pertains to me, a flashaholic and our community is that the ECMO tech's here in Iowa City keep one of those $2 multi-LED lights on their cart so that they can examine the lines carrying the blood for clotting and bubbles and other foreign objects. Now this morning I got to talking to the tech and I handed her my Peak Eiger 10280 with the Nichia 119 high CRI LED and asked if "this one works better?" She said that it did but that the rings around the beam were a little distracting and that's why they used the flood pattern of the cheapie light. The surgeon who happened to be present was pretty impressed with the color rendering as well. So I asked her if the light she had was hers and she said no that it belonged on the cart with all the ECMO gear. This got me thinking, these guys need a Mule high CRI and they need one now! My problem guys is that I am flat broke. All of my resources right now are tied up in making sure my son comes home safe and healthy. I wanted to hand her my Peak but I'm certain that the battery being a 10280 and the whole QTC thing is not something they would want or need. A Mule with the Nichia 119 LE and a single simple programmed level of 20-25 lumens would absolutely be perfect for them. Like I said here guys I want to put an order in now for this light just for the simple fact it would be a better tool for the people in charge of my son's life right now and help them to help him but everything I have is aimed at getting Coen healthy. I am asking you all here if any of you would be willing to help or if any of you could make this happen for me and for the ECMO team here in Iowa City I would forever be in debt to you. It's an extremely expensive light and just a small gesture in a big puzzle I know and once Coen comes home and we get back on our feet I promise I will repay any and everyone involved! And you know if this can't or doesn't happen I can surly understand and if this isn't the right way to ask I apologize. I just want to do whatever I can to help the people helping my son and all future ECMO patients here in Iowa City and I'm tapping into my one resource I feel can get this done right now and that's some of the great people here on CPF. Thank you all for taking the time to listen and consider and God Bless!

Sincerely,
Jason Ritchie

egrep

Enlightened
Im sorry to hear about your baby's illness. I hope for the best for all of you. You're a good fellow and doing the right things.

Its likely there are less expensive lights that will fit the bill very well, no? I'd be down for helping buy several of those for your child's benefit and others. Another issue with a very expensive light is if/when it becomes lost or stolen. Wouldn't something like a preon or other penlight with a high CRI output work as well?

At any rate I'm down for $25. PM me your PayPal when you've got enough commitments to make it happen

nbp

Flashaholic
Brother Jason,

Keep on keepin' on man; I hope things come out OK for your little guy. Scary stuff. :(

I agree with egrep; while I love love the Mule, I wonder if a couple lights for the whole team, maybe a little less prone to "walking off" might not be better? I know some here are really on the HI CRI train, and might be able to offer some good suggestions for suitable lights with good beams for the purpose.

But whatever you decide is best, I'd be happy to send something your way too to get this baby saving crew some decent lights.

ffemt6263

Enlightened
I truly wish you and your family the best. I am also much more than happy to help out with what i can. I do have a tendency to agree with the above that maybe a little less expensive light would be better suited but i see what your saying about a non reflectored light. Maybe a hi cri sapphire?? At any rate pm me as well when you would like paypal sent. All the best to you sir.
Mike

fyrstormer

Banned
Zebralight makes a couple Hi-CRI lights. It's not as snazzy as a Gizmo, but it's less likely to be "appropriated" and never seen again, on the mistaken assumption that the hospital will just buy more.

nbp

Flashaholic
ZL,that's a good suggestion 'stormer. How would their headlamp models work for this purpose if used in a handheld way? They're pretty much all flood right? Can you get a HI CRI AA headlamp and just take the band off of it? Common batteries are probably a plus in this situation and the lower cost might mean we could get a couple for the team.

scout24

Flashaholic
Send me your address, a ZL H501W will be on it's way today. I also have a spare Sundrop LE that will work wonderfully in an Aleph Mule, which I can send if anyone has a body for it. Hang in there, my best to you and yours...

chris975d

Newly Enlightened
ZL,that's a good suggestion 'stormer. How would their headlamp models work for this purpose if used in a handheld way? They're pretty much all flood right? Can you get a HI CRI AA headlamp and just take the band off of it? Common batteries are probably a plus in this situation and the lower cost might mean we could get a couple for the team.

I actually use the ZebraLight H51c (high CRI) "headlamp" as a handheld all the time. With its reversable clip, I actually never use it as a true headlight, anyway. You can clip it to your shirt collar, a lanyard around your neck, etc and with it being a "right angle" light, the light is projected in front of your for whatever you are working on. I have the "spill + spot" version, but the H51cf (flood) would be a very cost effective substitute for a McGizmo mule. I just picked up my first McGizmo (high CRI Haiku), and although I absolutely love the tint (it's the best I've ever had, and is perfect for me), the LUXEON Rebel high CRI emitter in the ZL isn't too far off the Nichia 119 in the Haiku. The 4000K temp in the ZL has just a barely perceptible hint of light yellow, but unless you have both beams side by side, it's hard to distinguish between the two. And with the ZL's sub $65 price, it'd be much more cost effective and less likely to walk off (as fyrstormer mentions).

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys thank you all very much! I have to admit I am extremely emotional right now and I'm probably trying to do anything I can to keep myself motivated. I think after some more thought what you all are saying serves more reason! I actually think this is something I am ultimately going to take care of. I love and appreciate your support! I ended up giving the team my warm Haiku set on med. to use during our stay and I am going to keep investigating and help them out once we come out the other side of this journey. Thank you all really. It is really cool as a flashaholic though that these guys rely on light to properly do their job. It just amazes me that a tool so integral to this task isn't better supplied. Meaning why wouldn't they or how do they not know there are much superior options out there for their use? Guess we have to be "shown the light" to be "enlightened"! :)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Jason,
So sorry to read of your situation here! I can build you an aluminum Mule head with a High CRI Nichia and use a single speed driver with low drive current to get you down to the target lumens. I don't have a power pak to donate at this point though and frankly, I would think that a AA based power pak would be more in line for the hospital staff to feed than a CR123? We have had some doctors here on CPF and I have had a few contact me in regards to better color rendition lights for use in diagnosis. The application you are addressing is something different and yet just as important.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Wow, prayers sent for a speedy recovery!! :)

47's HCRI Preon 2's would be the perfect light for them, and you can get 10 of them for the price of a mule. :)

I gave one to my friend who is a MD, he loves it, and uses it everyday.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Jason,
So sorry to read of your situation here! I can build you an aluminum Mule head with a High CRI Nichia and use a single speed driver with low drive current to get you down to the target lumens. I don't have a power pak to donate at this point though and frankly, I would think that a AA based power pak would be more in line for the hospital staff to feed than a CR123? We have had some doctors here on CPF and I have had a few contact me in regards to better color rendition lights for use in diagnosis. The application you are addressing is something different and yet just as important.

Don,

Thank you for your kind words! Once I come out the other side of Coen's recovery I will contact you I would very much like to pursue this build. I have confidence that the gear attached to the ECMO teams staff would stay within this group. These people are wonderful and brilliant!

ffemt6263

Enlightened
Theres a very special place in my heart for this subject due to my love for children and my line of work. Im wondering, how many people are on this team? Im still very willing and happy to donate to this cause. Maybe enough of us here in the community can donate and get a small run made for the team? Any way i can help out im very happy to do so. In my ems service we have a contract with a world class pediatrics hospital in our area and a special custom built ambulance that we use to transport pediatric and newborn intensive care teams around the area to pick up children that other hospitals cannot properly care for. The dedication, compassion, and incredible knowledge of the members of these teams always impresses me and im proud to be a small part of this. I always try to learn from these members whatever i can so i can do my best to improve pre-hospital care of these little guys.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done a little more investigating here and I've learned that Iowa City has 6 ECMO pumps and enough staff to support 4 of them at one time 24/7. So if I were to just get 1 light then 3 other pumps would be without. So while Don's light's I believe are the absolute best tool for the job I'm going to have to do what I can with my limited resources. So right now I'm leaning towards the 4 Sevens Preon 2xAAA or a Peak Logan 17500 which can use AA's or the Eiger and adding the momentary QTC switch. Peak offers the simplicity but availability may be an issue. Like I said earlier one of the techs did mention that a more flood type beam is preferred but at any rate what I will supply them with will be 100 times better than what they are currently using. I'll have to call RMSK to see what's available. During the morning rounds the ECMO staff director is always present So I have met her and once I do donate these tools for them I will do so through her and will also explain why I think they will be an upgrade and a real asset for them. Hopefully and I have faith it will, this will lead to accountability. Now, you know I can understand that some may think that this is a hospital and if I were to just explain to these people why I think they should get these tools for themselves they have ultimately more monetary resources than I can comfortably muster but this is something I want to do. People have given so much to help my family already and the UICH has been no exception. They have given us free parking, we are staying in a room here at the hospital for $1 a night, meals, emotional support, liaison help with work and the list goes on and on. These people out here are exceptional! On a personal note my son is for the most part staying stable while receiving the ECMO. There is daily tweaking but these things are expected we are told. The positive is that he was able to sustain life for over a day with the oxygenation machine alone so we have real hope that ECMO will do it's thing and work for him. Thanks guys for your suggestions and prayers. Having good lighting is a real tool and an absolute asset sometimes and there is no better place to learn that than here from you all.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for my inactivity here guys. Some of you have sent PM's and I have not replied and I apologize and also appreciate your generosity. During this past week Coen has been in a stable state on ECMO with the hope of healing enough to relieve some of his pulmonary hypertension and allowing his lungs to heal so he can manage oxygen transfer with just a ventilator and eventually on his own. Happily I can report that yesterday they did a "trial off" ECMO and he did great! So as I type this he is undergoing surgery to correct the diaphragmatic hernia and will possibly come off ECMO tomorrow depending on how he's doing. I'm trying to stay busy right now so I don't worry myself to death! Anyhow, the more I have considered my potential gift, I have come to the conclusion that I cannot and probably should not supply the entire ECMO staff here with something I view as necessary. Instead I come back to the person originally mentioned here and the relationship we have formed with her through this time. I have something in mind for her but will wait for calmer times to pursue this. I want it to be special and this will come from me but I am also going to provide the director with information on an affordable option that they could purchase for their staff if they find the technology more beneficial than just the average hardware store variety. Anyway, enough of my rambling. Oh yea the surgeon BTW absolutely loves my warm Haiku. Everyday he walks into Coen's room to check the ECMO circuits he just holds out his hand. I wouldn't be surprised to see he's sent an email to Don one of these days.

RCLumens

Enlightened
Prays to you and your family... Looks like you have plenty of support - But wanted to send best wishes. Feel free to keep me in loop if anything else is needed.

BarryG

Enlightened
How is the little guy doing? A professional staff in the NICU is priceless. My son was born at 1lb 12oz and was in the NICU for 10 weeks. It's hard to leave them but better knowing that they are in good hands.

Hope Coen is doing well,
Barry

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the little guy doing? A professional staff in the NICU is priceless. My son was born at 1lb 12oz and was in the NICU for 10 weeks. It's hard to leave them but better knowing that they are in good hands.

Hope Coen is doing well,
Barry

Sadly we lost Coen to his fight with CDH and pulmonary hypertension on March 11th. We were there for every minute.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Today is the first time I read this thread, and the last post hit me like a ton of bricks....the agony you must be going through must be horrific.

My deepest condolences to you and your family. Be there for each other.

nbp

Flashaholic
I am so sorry to hear that Jason. My deepest sympathies to you and your family. That is a terrible and unfair tragedy. :(