Rohrbaugh 45ACP Prototype

StuGatz

Enlightened
Rohrbaugh 45ACP Prototype

Since approximately 2003 or 2004 I have appreciated the efforts and products of the Rohrbaugh family lead by Karl Rohrbaugh. They truly are a great group of folks. For the past several years and during every encounter since that first meeting at SHOT show, the question about a 40 S&W or 45 ACP version of their outstanding pistol has always come up. According to Karl (and there is no doubt in my mind that he knows of what he speaks), there is no possible way to safely contain the 40 S&W or the 45 ACP in a SEMI-AUTOMATIC pistol the size AND DESIGN of their well proven 9mm pistol.

However, for the past several years, Karl has been at work to bring a 45 ACP pistol to fruition and now a prototype is underway and I had an opportunity to handle it. This is not to say that the long awaited Rohrbaugh 45 ACP is ready for production yet and I have been told that, in part, because of the current production schedule for the already popular 9mm that production of the 45 ACP may not be ready for another few years. That said, the time frame is NOT written in stone so, the 45 ACP could be available sooner but that of course depends upon a variety of issues.

I can say that in spite of this being a prototype, it fit very well in the hand and the double action style trigger was relatively smooth (again this was a PROTOTYPE and still a work in progress) and I look forward to the possibility to actually fire this pistol sometime in the future. Some brief introductory information is that this is obviously larger and heavier than the 9mm but extremely compact. It uses the officer ACP size magazine so proprietary magazines are not an issue and readily available.

Here are a few views:

DSC05399.jpg

DSC05412.jpg

DSC05401.jpg

DSC05403.jpg

DSC05404.jpg

DSC05406.jpg

DSC05410.jpg

DSC05415.jpg

DSC05417.jpg

DSC05419.jpg

DSC05420.jpg