Know of any obscure 3X18650 lights?

tstartrekdude

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to get a side by side 3X18650 light for hiking and biking and such. But so far I haven't really found a light that I like a lot, here is a list of what I have looked at so far and why they suck.

Jetbeam rrt-3: Holy crap expensive, stuff on the tail cap other than just a switch, holy crap expensive.

Ultrafire knock off of above light: Cost WAY to much for a knock off, like $180(I think, its been a bit and I don't remember its name to look it up)

cnqualitygoods 3X18650 XML light: Has no name, but that would fit nicely with my horse. Small OP reflector so not much throw, I have seen a test of it at about 20k lux :thumbsdow. The switch is on the battery holder and looks to be a run of the mill junk that will not hold up under 2.8 amps for long. Also a T6/C1 binned led. I want T6/C3. It sure is cheap though.

Legon II: I have no idea what the back story is on this light be all I know is I can't find it for sell anymore. It sure sounded good though.

The 3X18650 Parallel version of the Megalennium http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?269751-Parallel-3x18650-Megalennium : First holy crap expensive X2! With this I would need a head for it, so that means a M3 head and using D36 drop-ins(not much throw and icky heat transfer) or get a surefire turbo head and a nailbender tower unit( Holy $%!> expensive) with even crapper heat transfer. But It would be one hell of a nice light.

Olight SR51: WHY YOU NO HAVE BIGGER TUBE AN USE 3X18650!?!?

Sunwayman V60C: This is the light I am most likely going to get, but for some reason I can't get comfortable liking this light. It has an exposed positive and negative at the base for a gimmicky charger that goes with it, so I would be hesitant to just toss it into a pack with my gear. There is no warmer tent option. Its battery's are in serial. And my biggest gripe is its efficiency. In a test I seen done here on CPF its run time with 3.1AH battery's was 2:33. the battery's used had a capacity of 11.16WH and a XM-L on average uses 10 Watts when driven properly, so if the light was running perfectly efficient it would run for 3:20 if my math is right. So it seams that it is only running at %76 efficiency. I get that it has a lot of springs and such but with just a simple linear regulator you should be able to get around three hours...This light should do better :sigh:

So are there anymore 3X18650 lights that I missed? :shrug:

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Is there a reason you limit yourself to 3 18650's?

If there was something with the brightness and run time you wanted, would that be OK too?

To pick an obvious example: Lupine Betty Which is one version they have, the most expensive, but I had an easy to reach pastable link for it (There's others on that site too).

They specialize in biking lights for example.

If I knew the throw/flood ranges you were looking for, and run times, or how many lumens for how many hours, maybe we could come up with some other alternatives.

Sales Link removed - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

tstartrekdude

Newly Enlightened
I picked the 3X18650 side by side format because as far as I am condensed it is the best mix of capacity to size, and I don't have a long running XM-L as of now. What I want is something small and compact (holsterable) not a foot long, single XM-L led, with around three hours run time. I don't need a dedicated bike light much, but I do need long run time and a good bit of throw. I would be open to a 4x18650 if there was one out there besides the tm11.

tstartrekdude

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestion, and I have looked at that light as well. But It can not fit 18650's. So the most run time you could get out of that is about a hour and a half, way to short for me.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The $80 marketplace chinaqualitygoods light is called the DRY 3 XML and its a beast.

As for the NiteEye also sold in the marketplace, looks good but also has the docking station style problem you speak of.
Xtar 3xml light is another 3 18650 light
The NiteCoreTM11 is a little more affordable, it's not the thrower that the JetIII XML is but it's a cool light.

If you want a beast with runtime, what about the Fenix TK70 ?

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or get 3 1x18650 flashlights and turn one on as the other one exhausts its battery...

Or 2 flashlights, one a 2x18650 and the other 1x18650...

Or, one flashlight and change battery once (if 2x18650) or twice (if 1x18650). Don't you take a break within these 3 hours?

Or, get a headlamp which connects to a battery pack via wires, and use it as a flashlight, there are ones with 500 lumens or so coming out from Surefire. You can put the battery pack elsewhere since it will connect via a wire.

Or, get an angelux XM-L modified light from Elektrolumens which takes 2xD batteries with most of the flashlight "shape" in an upward direction yet pointing forward...

Use your imagination, there are many possible solutions!

tstartrekdude

Newly Enlightened
I have 1X18650 lights coming out of my ears, I have headlamps, and 2X18650 lights look like a squished piece of poo. Yes I take breaks but I hate fiddling around with cells out hiking, also I tend to go out from dusk tell dawn a lot so there is another reason to keep capacity per battery set high.

I'm trying not to sound like I don't appreciate the advice but I know what format of light I want, and was just making sure there wasn't any out there in that format that I had not heard of.

xed888

Enlightened
new thrunite 3 XML. check out HKJ's review. Ultrafire T70 is quite good looking.
Xtar S1

Last edited: