Cree XT-E White announced

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang, I need to replace all my flashlights again.

Fortunately, Cree can't release new lighting standards that make old lights obsolete (Here's looking at .doc/.docX!). But I keep wanting to take their new phosphor-dome LEDs and make a showerhead dropin taking 1 amp per LED. I think 3xIMR18650 would give me 20A of direct drive fury...

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

They have a very floody Typical Spatial Distribution, more than say XP-G.

Looks geared for room lighting systems.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like they're only guaranteeing 80CRI with this new batch. I guess 90CRI isn't worth the effort?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fortunately, Cree can't release new lighting standards that make old lights obsolete (Here's looking at .doc/.docX!). But I keep wanting to take their new phosphor-dome LEDs and make a showerhead dropin taking 1 amp per LED. I think 3xIMR18650 would give me 20A of direct drive fury...

Hey! That was my idea! :poke:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, but if you take physical size and cost into account, you can get more lumens per square centimeter, for less money using XT-E's.

It's not like I have 3x IMR18650 to use ... so I think you'll beat me to it. But I do have about twelve LifePO4 18500s. 600 mAh capacity though
frown.gif

I don't have the skill to build anything like that, so I'm guessing you'll win :)

Last edited:

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
> Why??

a) just kidding,
b) "very floody" works for me, and
c) I'm watching fixed lighting cost/efficiency, eventually planning on adding cove lighting everywhere.

Microa

Enlightened
Why ???

At 700mA an XT-E Neutral puts out 203 Lumens.

At 700mA an XP-G Neutral puts out 213 Lumens.

At 700mA an XM-L Neutral puts out 240 Lumens.

XT-E is rated at Tj=85C while XP-G and XM-L are rated at Tj=25C, the output of XT-E at least as good as the XP-G.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would have to do a comparison of the spacial distribution curves. The design looks like it might put more light into a reflector. May be an interesting flashlight LED.

tstartrekdude

Newly Enlightened
It sure looks to have a 1mm by 1mm die, and given the very high binning temperature...This may be the first good news for thrower fans in a very long time.

fyrstormer

Banned
For some reason, when you mentioned the word "showerhead", I envisioned a desk lamp made from an actual showerhead, with the nozzles replaced with LEDs, constructed specifically for the purpose of confusing the hell out of everyone.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a significant change to the way they are binned.
They've tried to make things more realistic - like FourSevens stepping up to the ANSI rating and having their S2 XP-G quarks rated at lower output than the R5-bin lights.

Would have to do a comparison of the spacial distribution curves. The design looks like it might put more light into a reflector. May be an interesting flashlight LED.
StUSV.png

XT-E left, XP-G right. I can't make heads or tails of it. Maybe the XP-G curve is plumper in the middle and lower at the edges though.