PK Design Lab
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any other compulsive battery aligners here?

Default Any other compulsive battery aligners here?

I don't know why, but every time I insert two or more batteries into a device or a charger, I always feel compelled to align the labels.

I understand that alignment doesn't affect the performance of my batteries, nor does it cause my batteries to charge any more or any less efficiently than they would if inserted randomly.

I do not consider myself to be an obsessive/complusive person, and I'm wondering if any of my fellow flashaholics share my must-do-battery-alignment affliction.

"Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints."

Default Re: Any other compulsive battery aligners here?

I do the same thing. Considering I handle batteries for a few seconds every few days, it isn't a significant enough habit to worry about.

Looking at the labels allows you to avoid a careless mistake of inserting a cell into the charger wrong. Not that I've ever done that. But I DO know what happens when an electrolytic capacitor is soldered onto a circuit board backwards...

Paladin
    Qui Me Tangit Paenitebit (he who touches me will repent)

Don't worry, you're not alone. I'll twist the batteries a bit and they always seem to end up like yours.

Geoff

It can be rationalized any number of ways. For my part, I just admit that I like things to look neat. In other aspects of my life, it reduces the chance of premature failure due to sloppy workmanship, but for batteries, it's just a reflex applying itself where it doesn't necessarily have any functional purpose.

Flashaholic

I have honestly never thought about it. Now I expect I'll probably start doing it that way.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    It can be rationalized any number of ways.
    I look at it this way.

The cells won't work unless they are installed correctly. Correctly means installed in the correct direction (+/-). It takes less time to make the configuration 'pretty', then to confirm the correct direction on randomly placed cells.

Yeah, no rationalization there!
    Last edited by ElectronGuru; 02-08-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Yes, I too do this... In the devices they're being used in, in the storage containers that hold cells on their sides, and on the chargers. I've got no real excuse to cover it for the storage containers. I guess at least it's good to rotate the cells a little anyway to make sure you have a good contact.

Me too

When I label my Li-Ions, I always write the cell ID I make for it in the same spot on every cell in the same orientation. It's just so it's easier to see which one is which when I bin them from time to time.

Flashaholic*
    below polar circle.. in country which used to make nokia phones.

one of them habits i try to weed out of.

but i still line them up IF i SEE the damn charger and them batteries all the time. (if it is slightly out of line of sight, i may leave them be, as installed).

i do not line them in their containers. nor where they are used (tv remote etc.) i only then when i can see them clearly from longer time or several times in short interval, i need to line them up.
    *MaKiNG SeNSe iS NOT My PRioRiTy* *One is None, Two is One, But Butter is Better*
    *Flashaholism: DeeP DaRK HoLe im falling into, glad that I have my flashlights to light the way.*

That's a new one (for me)...battery turners

Not I. It doesn't make a difference so I don't care.

That said, if it brings you enjoyment and doesn't hurt anyone else, then by all means enjoy it.
    Got Biodiesel?

*Flashaholic*

I do the exact same thing but it does serve a purpose-namely to visually ensure that my batteries are inserted with the correct polarity (and others have already pointed this out). Given the tiny fraction of my life I spend installing batteries, taking a few seconds longer every few days aligning the labels isn't something which impacts my life negatively in any way. I also number all my cells and write the tested capacity on them (that admittedly might qualify as a compulsion)

My Eneloop practices are more than what most people, perhaps even those here, would be willing to do.

I'm just trying to take them to their maximum useful potential.

In truth, this is only maybe half of what all is involved: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post3852931

As you can see, aligning my cells and putting them in order of their designated serial numbers is the least of my concerns.
    Last edited by Wrend; 02-08-2012 at 11:35 PM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post

Man, that one pencil is killling me ! Fix it please

Keith

I guess I am in the minority. I only do this when it is useful, for instance I used to have a lot of different energizer nimh AAs from 2200mah, 2300mah, 2500mah so having the labels showing right I could separate them. I also do this to alkalines to show the date on them so I can use up the older ones first but otherwise I typically don't do it otherwise I guess I am not that compulsive lol.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Guilty...

A
    lthough the one on the right is slightly misaligned.....
    Last edited by PapaLumen; 02-09-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by budynabuick View Post
    Man, that one pencil is killling me ! Fix it please

Keith

Erm... Could you put the purple/blue pencil in the centre please? It doesn't look 'balanced' right now.
    ---------------------

So many of us are guilty of this phenomenon... I go to the extent of aligning the batteries' labels randomly between charges. I follow the orientation of the first inserted battery and if that one happens to have its label facing downwards, then the rest of that set of batts I will face downwards too. If I happen to remember that previously the 'eneloop' label was pointed to the left, then on the next charge, I would have the label pointed to the right. Over time, I was hoping that the liquids and internal heat of the batteries would be more evened out.

I personally don't think it makes a significant difference towards the long-term health of the batteries, but if I have the spare mental capacity to do it, why not? Aligning the labels also serves as a visual reminder to keep batteries separated in the event that you charge more than one set at the same time.
    ---------------------

I don't line them up, but I do spin them to ensure that the battery is seated correctly and making good contact. Unnecessary perhaps, but this method evolved out of observing that devices that I've inserted batteries into wouldn't function initially until I do a spin/seat cycle with the batteries.
    As a person who deals with mass-production I can say with certainty that a thoughtful habit like lining up your batteries and ensuring proper polarity will serve you well in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by bansuri View Post
    I do spin them to ensure that the battery is seated correctly and making good contact.
    ^another very good and very valid rationalization to aligning battery labels is that in the process, this is taken care of as well!

You can rationalize it all you want, still don't make it right

Interesting thread here !

Must admit, I am also a compulsive Battery Aligner.

BTW -- today at Menards (home improvement store),
    i was looking at the Energizer Ultimate Lithium battery display.

One package of 4xAAA batteries had ONE cell inserted BACKWARDS !

Don't know how common this is,
    but i kinda' wondered if i should purchase it,
    as a "Collectable Error".

Anyone else ever see that ? ? ?

Better yet, get a strong slim magnet and go back to the store and fix it. That'll teach 'em.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Robin24k View Post
    LMAO I did not expect that. Very good. Thanks. Now I can relax in peace. Some of you amaze me with the proficiency with which you work these photos. I should learn how too do that as well. My grand kids can but I can"t! I think I will learn how this is done as I would like to post some photos.

Keith
    Last edited by budynabuick; 02-14-2012 at 04:52 AM.

<---guilty. It started out as a means of keeping groups together. I label all my rechargeables so they stay in the same device, seems logical to me to keep the same type load on em for their cycles...have no idea if it really matters. And now that I've gotten into Li-ion, I keep the date (again my own labels) visible which keeps them upright. I also consider that the rotation to bring them around and inline will make sure the contact is good and the cell is seated.

PapaLumen, that Powerex charger is awesome looking! Might just have to upgrade one of these days! I'm using an 8 bay Maha 801d for my Eneloops and Imedion AA's for photography flash units. Those Imedion's look sweet lined up 8 wide with the labels all up! I have a color code in the Imedion "o" for grouping.

Would like to know where to get a better Li-ion charger than the UltraFire and it has to fit 32650 PCB cells. Anyone know of such a critter?

It's called obsessive compulsive disorder. You'll rarely meet a flashaholic who doesn't suffer from it.