Any other compulsive battery aligners here?

Exit32

Newly Enlightened
I don't know why, but every time I insert two or more batteries into a device or a charger, I always feel compelled to align the labels.

I understand that alignment doesn't affect the performance of my batteries, nor does it cause my batteries to charge any more or any less efficiently than they would if inserted randomly.

I do not consider myself to be an obsessive/complusive person, and I'm wondering if any of my fellow flashaholics share my must-do-battery-alignment affliction.

Align_Charge.jpg

Align_Use.jpg

Paladin

Enlightened
Looking at the labels allows you to avoid a careless mistake of inserting a cell into the charger wrong. Not that I've ever done that. But I DO know what happens when an electrolytic capacitor is soldered onto a circuit board backwards...

Paladin

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Don't worry, you're not alone. I'll twist the batteries a bit and they always seem to end up like yours.

Geoff

fyrstormer

Banned
It can be rationalized any number of ways. For my part, I just admit that I like things to look neat. In other aspects of my life, it reduces the chance of premature failure due to sloppy workmanship, but for batteries, it's just a reflex applying itself where it doesn't necessarily have any functional purpose.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
It can be rationalized any number of ways.

I look at it this way.

The cells won't work unless they are installed correctly. Correctly means installed in the correct direction (+/-). It takes less time to make the configuration 'pretty', then to confirm the correct direction on randomly placed cells.

Yeah, no rationalization there! :naughty:

Last edited:

Wrend

Enlightened
Yes, I too do this... In the devices they're being used in, in the storage containers that hold cells on their sides, and on the chargers. I've got no real excuse to cover it for the storage containers. I guess at least it's good to rotate the cells a little anyway to make sure you have a good contact. :whistle:

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I label my Li-Ions, I always write the cell ID I make for it in the same spot on every cell in the same orientation. It's just so it's easier to see which one is which when I bin them from time to time.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
one of them habits i try to weed out of.

but i still line them up IF i SEE the damn charger and them batteries all the time. (if it is slightly out of line of sight, i may leave them be, as installed).

i do not line them in their containers. nor where they are used (tv remote etc.) i only then when i can see them clearly from longer time or several times in short interval, i need to line them up.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not I. It doesn't make a difference so I don't care.

That said, if it brings you enjoyment and doesn't hurt anyone else, then by all means enjoy it.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I do the exact same thing but it does serve a purpose-namely to visually ensure that my batteries are inserted with the correct polarity (and others have already pointed this out). Given the tiny fraction of my life I spend installing batteries, taking a few seconds longer every few days aligning the labels isn't something which impacts my life negatively in any way. I also number all my cells and write the tested capacity on them (that admittedly might qualify as a compulsion)

Wrend

Enlightened
My Eneloop practices are more than what most people, perhaps even those here, would be willing to do.

I'm just trying to take them to their maximum useful potential. :duh2:

In truth, this is only maybe half of what all is involved: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?331291-How-do-you-track-your-eneloops(or-other-NiMH-rechargeables)&p=3852931&viewfull=1#post3852931

As you can see, aligning my cells and putting them in order of their designated serial numbers is the least of my concerns.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I guess I am in the minority. I only do this when it is useful, for instance I used to have a lot of different energizer nimh AAs from 2200mah, 2300mah, 2500mah so having the labels showing right I could separate them. I also do this to alkalines to show the date on them so I can use up the older ones first but otherwise I typically don't do it otherwise I guess I am not that compulsive lol.

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Guilty...

A
lthough the one on the right is slightly misaligned..... :D

Last edited: