Looking for a Cree powered Key-chain flashlight

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
Looking for something to put on my keychain to keep with me at all times that utilizes a Cree LED. I am looking for it to be maybe AAA powered and would love 80+ lumens and decent throw and spread. Any recommendation will be appreciated.

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
Look at the Peak Eiger. Made in the USA, Lifetime warranty!
Looking at them and their site is very confusing. I definitely want something that has multiple power settings, like a low, medium and high so I can be bright when I need it and have good life when I need that. Also it HAS to be CREE powered.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently picked up the Illuminati CA1 from Batteryjunction as a gift for someone and had a chance to test it out.

It's a solid built light, great beam, very white tint.

It uitilizes the Cree XPG R5, has multiple levels:
Low: 3 Lumens (30+ hours)
Medium: 30 Lumens (4+ hours)
High: 115 Lumens (90+ minutes)

Overall a great keychain light, price $30.

Review here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?321589

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
I recently picked up the Illuminati CA1 from Batteryjunction as a gift for someone and had a chance to test it out.

It's a solid built light, great beam, very white tint.

It uitilizes the Cree XPG R5, has multiple levels:
Low: 3 Lumens (30+ hours)
Medium: 30 Lumens (4+ hours)
High: 115 Lumens (90+ minutes)

Overall a great keychain light, price $30.

Review here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?321589
That looks very nice!! Pretty much exactly what I wanted!

davecroft

Enlightened
A couple of others to consider:

Olight i3, very similar to the Illuminati although max output only rated as 70 lumens. But Selfbuilt's review seems to suggest that outputs are about the same?

Fenix LD01, 72 lumens max

Last edited:

HIDC

Banned
Thrunite TI. Sounds like a winner. I'm ordering a few.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark Mini AA can considered a keychain light as well depending on how big you can go.

I've carried lights of similar size on my keychain with no issues.

Both are great lights.

Incidentalist

Enlightened
Unlike others, I actually find AAA lights to be too cumbersome for a keychain light.

I prefer something even smaller and tend to go with a 10180 or 10280 light. Peak makes a Eiger QTC version for both of these battery configurations. The QTC allows for infinite adjustment, just keep tightening the light until you get the brightness that you want. Since the batteries are Li-Ion, you will get the most from LED for such a small battery. RMSK and Oveready are the two dealers to check for these lights. Their sites are much nicer than Peaks and you can't buy directly from Peak anyway.

Another similar light would be Steve Ku's 40DD (10180) and upcoming 44DD (10280). They work the same was as the Peak lights and Steve is a great guy to do business with. Check out his thread over at cpfmarketplace:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?257996-Preorder-40DD-Stainless-Steel-Run-1

A few more to look at would be Modomag's Draco and Drake and a Lummi Wee or Raw. Modomag doesn't make lights anymore, so you'd have to look around the Custom B/S/T area and I'd recommend looking there for the Lummi lights as well. While Lummi lights are top notch, his business practices leave much to be desired and you'd be better served finding one secondhand as they come available frequently enough.

For smaller AAA lights, I like the DQG lights as well as the Preon Revo PO.

Lastly, if a full sized AAA light meets your size requirements, check out this thread and start waiting with the rest of the crowd:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...A-Flashlight-(photos)-Work-In-Progress-Part-2

ico

Enlightened
What do you mean by Cree powered?
The emitter is made by cree definitely but other factors such as batteries or driver or the things between the emitter and battery and not made by cree I suppose.

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
What do you mean by Cree powered?
The emitter is made by cree definitely but other factors such as batteries or driver or the things between the emitter and battery and not made by cree I suppose.
Well, of course it would just be the LED.
OK, I'll ask .... why? :thinking:
I work for Cree and want a Cree flashlight.

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
Already got a Jetbeam BC40 to show off, but want a bright keychain one to show off and just for the usefulness of having one.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second the Peak Eiger. Most of them are using Cree XP-Gs or XM-Ls.

Don't bother with Peak's site.... look

Start an online chat with Bob, he's Peak's primary distributor and can answer any questions you have. link removed

Last edited by a moderator:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is your most used level?

Fenix LD01 goes Med -Lo - Hi.
Preons go Lo - Mid - Hi.
The odd other ones go Hi - Mid - Lo.

Lo - close in work; Mid - indoors; Hi - outdoors.

Again what is your most used level?
Do a lot of close in work - get one that starts with Lo.
Indoor general use mostly - get one that starts with Mid.
Outdoor mostly - get one that starts with Hi.