Things you really want that you will probably never have...

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it happens that we come across something that catches our imagination so much we really, really want to have it. Often, this happens very quickly--the moment we see this item (whatever it might be) we have this feeling we are immediately in sync with it, it speaks to us, we understand it, its purpose, and why it would be a great fit with our lives and perhaps ideals.

But, deep down, we have an equally strong feeling or understanding that we will never actually have it.

It could be because it is very expensive, and we don't have the money, and given many of life's other obligations, it's very unlikely we will ever have the money.

Or it could be that we could pony up the cash (or credit!), but we also know it is a very unwise use and we choose not to do it. Still, we avoid having it only with a strong sense of regret.

I had such an experience over something I guess may be a bit strange, the Bose VideoWave entertainment system. (link below to Bose website which shows and explains what is is in greater detail, if anyone is curious--it is not a sales pitch, by the way, you can only buy Bose products through authorized stores and not through Bose's own website!).

http://www.bose.ca/controller?url=/shop_online/videowave/index.jsp

It is basically a 46" flat screen TV, certainly nothing striking in this day and age (actually it uses a Samsung model as a base). But what it does have which no other similar model has is...13 speakers (of which 6 are woofers) built right into the flat screen TV! You get in other words a whole home theater with Bose quality sound without any of the usual components.

There is only one wire coming out of this TV, which goes into a console which concentrates anything else you want to attach (DVD players, etc.). The whole thing is controlled from a super-simple remote, and all other components will be similarly controlled.

When I saw this, on my current flat TV setup, which is a rat's nest of wires, cables, and all sorts of unsightly connections...I had almost an epiphany. Of course, this TV is rather heavy and rather fat but still.

Why will I never have it? I cannot justify spending $5,500 bucks on it, and that is what it costs.

Anyway, I got to thinking and wondered if this sort of experience also happens to others. Have you ran into this situation of really wanting something yet at the very same time knowing you won't have it? A kind of strong yet forever unfulfilled desire?

f yes, and would like to share this experience, this is the thread for you! If you would like to give an opposite argument, say, there should be no (legal!) desires left unfulfilled if they are strong enough, please feel free to do that, too.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
the Bose VideoWave entertainment system.

Eh, no big loss there. It'd be a bad idea to get locked into any one TV for more than a scant few years right now. Aside from that, the last time I put together a home theater system, the whole Infiniti Reference setup (minus the TV) was $2000-ish, it sounds a lot bigger than a single TV.. And only women fret over the cables; men know more cables = more serious.

My aim is a lot higher, perhaps too high..

epcp110102zlamborghinig.jpg

jtr1962

Flashaholic
The penthouse in the new 1008 foot tower at 157 57th Street. 10,923 square feet, views to die for, and all mine for only $115 million. Safe to say I'll never have it.

Getting into more pedestrian things, I'd love to own an HPV like the Varna Diablo II. Sadly, I lack the funds and expertise to build such a one-of-a-kind machine. I think the thrill of going 80+ mph on my own steam would beat living in the penthouse at 157 hands down.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it would be a Dodge Viper. I've lusted after the Viper ever since seeing the first prototype more than 20 years ago, just after I graduated high school. I did have the chance to take one on a couple of laps around an autocross on my birthday 6 years ago, and it restoked the passion I had for the car. There is still a chance I could buy one, most likely when we pay off our mortage in a couple of years, as used 1st gen Vipers start in the $25k range or so, and 2nd gen Vipers start at around $35k. Wouldn't be the most responsible thing in the world, but I've always been a gearhead, and who knows, maybe when my kids are out of the house and we have fewer bills to pay........

Kestrel

Flashaholic
It's a no-brainer for me: a Commando V-150 APC. I've been wanting one of these for the past 25 years. I'm realistic enough not to need a Class-III weapon in the turret though - a semi-auto belt-fed .308 would be perfect.

Surplus vehicles legal for civilian ownership run ~$40-$80K, but they're a thousand times better than a Humvee IMO. They are legal to drive on Interstates and have a top speed of 55 mph.

Check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtEzeJmzSow

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had kind of the same longtime fantasy too, Kestrel! These days, I've been thinking a Stryker maybe. It would be a great winter vehicle in the snow here in Vermont and come Spring it would be excellent during what we call "mud season" around these parts. Mainly, though, you'd have a vehicle where you know that no one would cut you off or mess with you out on the highway and you could park it wherever you want! A meter maid wouldn't even be able to put a ticket under your wipers.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dinner and a drive-in movie...

with Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino.

(Bet ya didn't see that one coming but holy crap would that be cool!)

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
A weekend of concerts by:

Tom Waits,

X,

Lou Reed,

Leonard Cohen,

Willie Nelson,

and Dr. John.

(Just about the only musicians I like that I haven't gotten around to seeing live yet).

Burgess

Flashaholic
The new, upcoming, not-yet-released Canon L-series zoom lens:

200-400mm f/4, with a built-in 1.4x teleconverter

(sigh)

H-Man

Enlightened
I want wings. It would give me an excuse to use my lights that would make sense to the layman. "It really sucks when I hit the power lines"
Also, it would be far easier to land then to park a 1988 Chevy Suburban in town.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would really like to wake up in a large suburban home, 4 car garage stocked with H1 Hummer wagon, Mercedes E63, Mercedes G500, and (insert flavor of the month exotic car)

I would have every light I like in either titanium or tungsten.

A very extensive watch and suit collection.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Golly . . . .

Appears my posting here (#13) is one of the Least Expensive listed !

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Golly . . . .

Appears my posting here (#13) is one of the Least Expensive listed !

Good news! . . . I've got you beat. Hate to say it, but there really is nothing I'm lusting after that I can't afford. (Don't misunderstand, I'm far from rich.) For years, I wanted a sports car. Three years ago, I ended up with a sports sedan. Not the fastest in the world. Not the most prestigious. Definitely one of the better handling ones out there. A nice house would be nice. But I have a place in a co-op apartment building that I got a great deal on about 9 years ago. It's roomy enough for my tastes. I have some excellent lights. Would like a Randall-Made knife in my small collection without waiting 5 years for one and without paying a giant premium for a used one. But I know how to pull off that trick. So that can wait. Already have a nice watch without having paid a ridiculous amount of money for it though. Would like a luxury automatic watch though that I can pass down one day. Perhaps an older Omega Aqua Terra. Discontinued, but enough of them floating around that I can still put off that purchase for now.

In an odd way, I guess I'm content with what I want down the road.