Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things you really want that you will probably never have...

Default Things you really want that you will probably never have...

So it happens that we come across something that catches our imagination so much we really, really want to have it. Often, this happens very quickly--the moment we see this item (whatever it might be) we have this feeling we are immediately in sync with it, it speaks to us, we understand it, its purpose, and why it would be a great fit with our lives and perhaps ideals.

But, deep down, we have an equally strong feeling or understanding that we will never actually have it.

It could be because it is very expensive, and we don't have the money, and given many of life's other obligations, it's very unlikely we will ever have the money.

Or it could be that we could pony up the cash (or credit!), but we also know it is a very unwise use and we choose not to do it. Still, we avoid having it only with a strong sense of regret.

I had such an experience over something I guess may be a bit strange, the Bose VideoWave entertainment system. (link below to Bose website which shows and explains what is is in greater detail, if anyone is curious--it is not a sales pitch, by the way, you can only buy Bose products through authorized stores and not through Bose's own website!).

http://www.bose.ca/controller?url=/s...wave/index.jsp

It is basically a 46" flat screen TV, certainly nothing striking in this day and age (actually it uses a Samsung model as a base). But what it does have which no other similar model has is...13 speakers (of which 6 are woofers) built right into the flat screen TV! You get in other words a whole home theater with Bose quality sound without any of the usual components.

There is only one wire coming out of this TV, which goes into a console which concentrates anything else you want to attach (DVD players, etc.). The whole thing is controlled from a super-simple remote, and all other components will be similarly controlled.

When I saw this, on my current flat TV setup, which is a rat's nest of wires, cables, and all sorts of unsightly connections...I had almost an epiphany. Of course, this TV is rather heavy and rather fat but still.

Why will I never have it? I cannot justify spending $5,500 bucks on it, and that is what it costs.

Anyway, I got to thinking and wondered if this sort of experience also happens to others. Have you ran into this situation of really wanting something yet at the very same time knowing you won't have it? A kind of strong yet forever unfulfilled desire?

f yes, and would like to share this experience, this is the thread for you! If you would like to give an opposite argument, say, there should be no (legal!) desires left unfulfilled if they are strong enough, please feel free to do that, too.
    Last edited by flashy bazook; 02-09-2012 at 12:14 AM.

Default Re: Things you really want that you will probably never have...

Quote Originally Posted by flashy bazook View Post
    the Bose VideoWave entertainment system.
    Eh, no big loss there. It'd be a bad idea to get locked into any one TV for more than a scant few years right now. Aside from that, the last time I put together a home theater system, the whole Infiniti Reference setup (minus the TV) was $2000-ish, it sounds a lot bigger than a single TV.. And only women fret over the cables; men know more cables = more serious.

My aim is a lot higher, perhaps too high..

*Flashaholic*

The penthouse in the new 1008 foot tower at 157 57th Street. 10,923 square feet, views to die for, and all mine for only $115 million. Safe to say I'll never have it.

Getting into more pedestrian things, I'd love to own an HPV like the Varna Diablo II. Sadly, I lack the funds and expertise to build such a one-of-a-kind machine. I think the thrill of going 80+ mph on my own steam would beat living in the penthouse at 157 hands down.

Flashaholic*

For me it would be a Dodge Viper. I've lusted after the Viper ever since seeing the first prototype more than 20 years ago, just after I graduated high school. I did have the chance to take one on a couple of laps around an autocross on my birthday 6 years ago, and it restoked the passion I had for the car. There is still a chance I could buy one, most likely when we pay off our mortage in a couple of years, as used 1st gen Vipers start in the $25k range or so, and 2nd gen Vipers start at around $35k. Wouldn't be the most responsible thing in the world, but I've always been a gearhead, and who knows, maybe when my kids are out of the house and we have fewer bills to pay........
    Ha ha, you fool!! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia; and only slightly less well known is this: Never go against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!

For me it´s a Lange Double Split in Platinum, costs about 90.000,- €.

http://www.alange-soehne.com/cms/de/...lit/watch.html

Cheers

RBR

It's a no-brainer for me: a Commando V-150 APC. I've been wanting one of these for the past 25 years. I'm realistic enough not to need a Class-III weapon in the turret though - a semi-auto belt-fed .308 would be perfect.

Surplus vehicles legal for civilian ownership run ~$40-$80K, but they're a thousand times better than a Humvee IMO. They are legal to drive on Interstates and have a top speed of 55 mph.

Check out this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtEzeJmzSow
    Last edited by Kestrel; 02-09-2012 at 07:55 AM.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

I've had kind of the same longtime fantasy too, Kestrel! These days, I've been thinking a Stryker maybe. It would be a great winter vehicle in the snow here in Vermont and come Spring it would be excellent during what we call "mud season" around these parts. Mainly, though, you'd have a vehicle where you know that no one would cut you off or mess with you out on the highway and you could park it wherever you want! A meter maid wouldn't even be able to put a ticket under your wipers.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr1962 View Post
    The penthouse in the new 1008 foot tower at 157 57th Street. 10,923 square feet, views to die for, and all mine for only $115 million. Safe to say I'll never have it.
    Just 1200 easy monthly payments of 400,000!

Flashaholic*

A Ford Fiesta RS WRC.
    A Lancia Stratos HF.
    A Grp.B Audi Quattro S1.
    "Show them a light, and they'll follow it anywhere..."

Flashaholic*

A Jeff Beck Signature Strat and 1/100,000th of his talent.

Flashaholic*

Dinner and a drive-in movie...

with Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino.

(Bet ya didn't see that one coming but holy crap would that be cool!)

Flashaholic*

A weekend of concerts by:

Tom Waits,

X,

Lou Reed,

Leonard Cohen,

Willie Nelson,

and Dr. John.

(Just about the only musicians I like that I haven't gotten around to seeing live yet).

The new, upcoming, not-yet-released Canon L-series zoom lens:

200-400mm f/4, with a built-in 1.4x teleconverter

(sigh)

I want to play battleship with real battleships.

I want wings. It would give me an excuse to use my lights that would make sense to the layman. "It really sucks when I hit the power lines"
    Also, it would be far easier to land then to park a 1988 Chevy Suburban in town.

Money

A Bugatti Veyron, and a night with Kate Beckinsale

I would really like to wake up in a large suburban home, 4 car garage stocked with H1 Hummer wagon, Mercedes E63, Mercedes G500, and (insert flavor of the month exotic car)

I would have every light I like in either titanium or tungsten.

A very extensive watch and suit collection.
    My lightsWTB: Surefire: New/Used/Rare. Currently looking for everything Crosshairs + D2. Interesting trades available.Everybody, just send your lights directly to James - he'll end up with them anyhow, lol. -Kestrel

Golly . . . .

Appears my posting here (#13) is one of the Least Expensive listed !

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    Golly . . . .

Appears my posting here (#13) is one of the Least Expensive listed !
    Good news! . . . I've got you beat. Hate to say it, but there really is nothing I'm lusting after that I can't afford. (Don't misunderstand, I'm far from rich.) For years, I wanted a sports car. Three years ago, I ended up with a sports sedan. Not the fastest in the world. Not the most prestigious. Definitely one of the better handling ones out there. A nice house would be nice. But I have a place in a co-op apartment building that I got a great deal on about 9 years ago. It's roomy enough for my tastes. I have some excellent lights. Would like a Randall-Made knife in my small collection without waiting 5 years for one and without paying a giant premium for a used one. But I know how to pull off that trick. So that can wait. Already have a nice watch without having paid a ridiculous amount of money for it though. Would like a luxury automatic watch though that I can pass down one day. Perhaps an older Omega Aqua Terra. Discontinued, but enough of them floating around that I can still put off that purchase for now.

In an odd way, I guess I'm content with what I want down the road.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Things you really want that you will probably never have...
    Interesting. Everyone has mentioned material things.

No has said things like good health, a happy family, long life, loyal friends.

What good is any of that other stuff without the above?
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review Malkoff MDC Review MY LIGHTS McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It, DoNotDelete It.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post

I have all of those things, obviously the long life bit remains to be seen.

So Bugatti Veyron it is

More good news ! . . . .

After wearing Eyeglasses for 50 years ( ! ),

i have always wanted 20-20 vision.

Well, in 2010, i had to get Cataract Surgery, in both eyes.

But, here's the Good News:

I now have better than 20-20 vision, in each eye ! ! !

Even passed my Drivers License eye exam !

Hurray ! ! !

Only one slight drawback --

I can't focus closer than about 40 centimeters (about 16 inches),
    so i still need Reading Glasses for anything close.

But hey, i can buy those right off the rack, at the Drug Store !

No more $500, "Coke-Bottle" bifocals for ME ! ! !

Guess this falls into the category of:

Things you thought you'd never have, but finally managed to obtain.

_

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    The new, upcoming, not-yet-released Canon L-series zoom lens:

200-400mm f/4, with a built-in 1.4x teleconverter

(sigh)
    Actually have considered spending the cash. Probably WON'T, but I've considered it. Depends if my kids keep playing soccer. I've rented the 100-400, and it was OK, just not fast enough. I own the 70-200 F2.8 IS (1st version) and the 24-70
    73 de KG2V
    My Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com/
    Hompage: http://www.thegallos.com
    You are what you do when it counts - The Masso

Quote Originally Posted by KC2IXE View Post
    Actually have considered spending the cash. Probably WON'T, but I've considered it. Depends if my kids keep playing soccer. I've rented the 100-400, and it was OK, just not fast enough. I own the 70-200 F2.8 IS (1st version) and the 24-70
    I have the 100-400 - not a sports lens, but I really like it! Great for outdoors. Sold my Sigma 70-200 2.8 when I was unemployed and my girls were out of sports anyway....

Those are things which are realistic in one's ability to attain. However, never promised to anyone with any degree of certainty. For example, a Chevy Corvette is unattainable to anyone who doesn't make enough money and has other responsibilities in Life. But if you do have the money, you can walk in to a dealership and definitely drive off in one.

Good health? Do the best you can to eat healthy and take care of itself. Even then, you never know. Might get sick, might catch something that won't go away . . . You never know. Happy family? I'm convinced that certain individuals have no business having children. Ironically, there are some folks out there who know it too; and thus have no desire to make life miserable for themselves or (even worse) bring a new life into this world and make life miserable for their kids. Sometimes a happy family is just you and another adult who is content to be with you.

Long life? Now who was the liar who went ahead and promised you tomorrow? For some, a long life isn't much of a blessing. I know one young woman who refuses to give up smoking because she'd rather die from lung cancer in a few years than live to be old, suffering from arthritis, and always in fear of falling over and dying slowly with a broken hip. In all other respects, she's a perfectly rational human being. Even if you look forward to a long life, you won't know you've had it until much later in life, when you're knocking on Heaven's door.

Loyal friends? Honestly, the old saying is true. You get one, maybe two, truly good friends in Life. The rest are just buddies, acquaintances, and folks who acknowledge the fact that you exist. I've got that one for sure. Best part is, his wife thinks of me as the big brother she never had. So I'm good. I think most folks are in that particular regard.

None of the above requires money, yet none of it is promised to anyone either. Listing material things is far easier because folks know what their spending limits are in acquiring such things.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I was merely using them as examples of non-material things that everyone wants, but many people don't have. I'm glad that some of here do, but many people don't have those things, among others. Perhaps they are too personal to be mentioned in a more lighthearted thread like this.

So, I guess in that case: I want a really cool modern warehouse apartment, decked out in all stainless steel and glass, but I want it transported out in the middle of the woods where it's quiet and there are miles between me and my closest neighbors.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review Malkoff MDC Review MY LIGHTS McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It, DoNotDelete It.

I was merely using them as examples of non-material things that everyone wants, but many people don't have. I'm glad that some of here do, but many people don't have those things, among others. Perhaps they are too personal to be mentioned in a more lighthearted thread like this.

So, I guess in that case: I want a really cool modern warehouse apartment, decked out in all stainless steel and glass, but I want it transported out in the middle of the woods where it's quiet and there are miles between me and my closest neighbors.
    First paragraph would make for an interesting discussion . . . But to keep things lighthearted, a commercial steel building (if it's not too big) is actually do-able. They come pre-formed. Put them together yourself with help from others or even pre-assembled. Buying the out-of-the-way land in which to put it would be the most expensive part. Then again, depending on where the land is located, it realistically might not be.

Flashaholic*

I have always wanted loyal friends, but seem to have been one more than had one..
    Any way, I always wanted a Nagra, $14,000 < or > Irrational, I don't need one..but, you know..
    So I just came across this, I am hopeless putty, how can I (a Nak 550 owner and tri-miker of remote sound from back before then..) possibly turn away from this???????

NAGRA SD -- $1000.00 +- (0nly!)
    The Nagra SD is the latest generation of hand-held recorders for ultra-portable recording work. Extra rugged and made for field work it offers exceptional quality in the palm of your hand.
    Principal applications:
    Any ultra-portable recording application
    Special Features:
    Removable SD media
    Built-in loudspeaker
    Stereo monitoring on mini Jack
    Stereo Line In / Out
    Last edited by TedTheLed; 02-13-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    originally cpf member #14 write me at gmail.

I cannot justify spending $5,500 bucks on it, and that is what it costs.
    A pair of Magnepan MMGs and a decent audiophile subwoofer will cost about $1,100 total, and sound about 100000000x better than the Bose system. It's your dream money, but I hate to see you waste it. :-)

Looking at all the cars over the years I'd still take a black and pearl mint condition 59' Corvette over about anything on a summer day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast