Hi-CRI Tri-EDC?

fyrstormer

Banned
Is there a <1.5amp version of the Tri-EDC available? If so, that would be perfect for driving a triad of Nichia Hi-CRI emitters, because they're rated at 0.5amp maximum. Is it possible to order the Tri-EDC driver with Nichia Hi-CRI emitters installed, or if not, can they be easily installed using a heat gun? I know McGizmo offers a Haiku with this emitter, and it's very highly respected; a light that can run three of those emitters at once would be formidable competition for any light, regardless of the other light's CRI rating.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one thing to keep in mind fyrstormer is that McGizmo somehow got his hands on the highest color temperature 119 emitters that Nichia makes.

Their average CCT, and the one that most Nichia 119 lights are using, is 3300k. It's a pinkish-colored light.
McGizmo uses 4500k+ emitters that are a pure white.

My best guess is that he purchased their Minimum Order Quantity of emitters (1000 pieces) and probably paid an additional premium to get such a narrow bin instead of their standard 3300k grab bag.

persyce

Newly Enlightened
Wouldn't the HI CRI version of the TRI be using XPG? If so, my guess is it would be around 3500k. I believe the 4500k is for the neutral version. I could be wrong :sssh:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a couple of HCRI Tri-EDC's about - and I upgraded my own to HCRI - but they're all XP-G.

Up until recently, Mac was using LuxRC L332 and L333 light engines, and they only use XP-G's.

Now, he's using his regular 2.8A driver and a regular triple MCPCB. In theory you could lower the output of the driver and swap the MCPCB for a triple Nichia board... but I'm not sure Mac would/could offer that.

If money were no issue, I'd buy a Tri-EDC, and ask Mac for a spare LE and driver, and source your own triple Nichia board.

fyrstormer

Banned
As far as I can tell from product photos, Nichia 119 emitters use the same surface-mount layout as Cree XP emitters use. That should make a swap using a heat gun or a hotplate fairly easy to perform. (so says the guy who has neither tool. :rolleyes:)

It's good to know the Tri-EDC uses the same driver board as the regular EDC, because unless something has changed recently, the regular EDC is available with a 1.4amp driver. That means the build I'm envisioning should be possible after all.

As for the color temperature of the Nichia 119...the ones Don uses are cool enough that there's room to use warmer emitters without the beam looking orange. My own mods using Hi-CRI emitters all used warm emitters with a color temperature at or below 3000K, but because they are Hi-CRI emitters, they still render greens and blues quite well and I have no complaints.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
... the regular EDC is available with a 1.4amp driver. That means the build I'm envisioning should be possible after all.

As soon as a read that I thought duh!
facepalm.gif

The 1.4A driver would be ideal.

Last edited:

smarkum

Enlightened
Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!
I have a hi cri tri by mac. It is my favorite tint ever. My favorite light... Well, right up there with the Gavina. It is a warm cri. The Nichia that are in the McGizmo's I have are quite neutral for my eyes. Mac got it perfect when he chose the emitter for my tri. It is bead blasted too... Perfect.