Utilitech 60 Watt LED review

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the nice review! In your own opinion, what do you think the color temperature is? A lot of bulbs say 2,700K, but they seem like 3,000 to 3,200 kelvin to my eyes.

I'm interested in that new 90 l/w bulb when it makes its appearance. Hopefully it isn't overpriced like so many bulbs are.

ratsbew

Newly Enlightened
This bulb is listed at 3000K and it seems to be accurate to me. It isn't as warm as an incandescent bulb, but it isn't harsh either. I'm not sure how much control the department of energy has over the accuracy of the product information...I recall reading that they don't test every bulb for the accuracy of the manufacturer's claims.

Cree has demonstrated a 150 lumen/W bulb, but it is not in the A19 form factor.

http://www.cree.com/press/press_detail.asp?i=1312203835951

Harold_B

Enlightened

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point in the review about the heatsink paint being inconsistent. That's one I don't see paid attention to much.

I wonder if you can use an infrared thermometer and measure how well the painted area is emitting heat versus the unpainted. (For those wondering, 'emissivity' is the ability to emit heat; shiny metal is very poor, that's why a chrome tool will be too hot to touch after a while in the sun, while a dull wooden handle will have radiated away far more heat).

To use infrared thermometer on metal, you have to put a piece of masking tape over it and meter that to get a correct temperature)

Harold_B

Enlightened
They do look like the Seoul Semiconductor components although I'm not aware that the Utilitech is using an AC / AC power supply. I could be wrong and I will double check (will also post what I find). Thanks for the link Made In China.

patrickhuang

Newly Enlightened
I had the acrich2 in hand, the ledzoom.jpg looks like SSC PKG, its downset is similar ellipse, but its wire bonding is a little different , ledzoom.jpg PKG is lower+right & lower+left, acrich2 PKG's wire bonfing is lower+left& upper+right.

Harold_B

Enlightened
Thanks Patrick for the information. Very helpful. Osram has a similar package but I have yet to get a close look at those.

patrickhuang

Newly Enlightened
I asked my friend, he said ledzoom.jpg is a past SSC PKG, and acrich2 PKG is a new one; Lead flame is the same, just wire bonding mode is different.

DMC

Newly Enlightened
I replacement one of the CLF 16W 3000K spotlight bulbs in our kitchen with a Utilitech 13.5W at Lowes.
My wife likes the "instant on" feature over the slow warming up of the older CFL spotlight bulb and that is a white bulb when it is turned off. Seems to have the same color (warm - 3000K) but is slightly brighter than our existing CLFs.

Still hoping that the price will fall like the Utilitech 7.5W bulb.

Wife is very happy

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a different bulb made by Lighting Science.
I was not too impressed by the Lighting Science branded one. The light looking through a translucent shade is a thin horizontal line instead of a more usual blob. Colour and brightness is equivalent to the Philips 60W equivalent. Omnidirectional sends light forwards and backwards (many LED bulbs only sends light forwards).

jimgerlv

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased 2 Utilitech BR30, 650 Lumens, from Lowe's, for my kitchen recessed light cans.

They cost $24.98 each. They fit perfectly, look great and provide a nice warm (not harsh) light that rivals my 1600 lumen CFL Costco bulbs, which have failed intermittently within months.

Since my kitchen has 9 foot ceilings, it is a real pain to replace these 8 bulbs.

If these last longer than the next CFL failure (and I expect them to) I will replace them all with these LED indoor floods.

This LED bulb seems to be a winner in all areas!:twothumbs

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review thank you.

Utilitech/Lowes also have a 40-watt equivalent LED bulb for $9.98 -
claims "Uses 7.5 watts for 450 lumens of brightness"

One thing, in your video review showing the Kill-A-Watt meter reading (@ about ~1:50), you said the equivalent CFL draws almost twice the wattage - is this really so for a 60-watt equivalent CFL?

The specs I see for 60-watt equivalent (~825 lumens) CFL soft white are 13-watts also
eg:
GE soft white 16460 – FLE13HT3/2/SW/CD
is rated at 13 watts for 825 lumens

Utilitech 6-Pack 60-Watt Equivalent Soft White Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb
Item #: 252003 | Model #: L13T6/27K
claims " Uses 13 watts for 900 lumens of brightness"

So it appears that the LED bulb is consuming very slightly less (or about the same) as the equivalent brightness CFL -
or does your Kill-A-Watt meter really show almost double for the consumption on a 60-watt equivalent (13-watt) CFL?

Thanks

Last edited:

cruzzer

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at this same bulb today and the cfl's at lowes. I noticed they sold the cfl's in recessed can lights but after doing lots of research that is a big no no with cfl's. They need to be open. Any light housing that covers them and does not allow them a lot of ventilation they say life is only a couple weeks to months. Our lowes is rather poor in the lighting department. I'm trying to find a light like the one mentioned up in 5000k-6500k to use in my workshop. Dim-able would be great as when not wrenching on my bike I dont always need full light but its not a deal breaker. I'm planning on putting 4-6 of these in the room and its a 14x14 room with a bike lift in the middle, work benches down each side and only a 8" ceiling. Thanks for the info on those bulbs, I'm going to bring a few home to test now..

Latest posts