Are Cree flashlights any good?

Mar

Newly Enlightened
I see them on Ebay but not much talk about them on here except for Cree led's. I'm basically looking for a headlamp but am interested in flashlights also. I have a Surefire Fury and love it but would also like to get a smaller, around 200 lumen, light.
For headlamps I could pick up a Led Lenser H7 for $45 and or a Lee Valley Cree for $15.
So just wondering if Cree lights are something to avoid.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are Chinese made copies. It's a crap shoot regarding quality. Most times you get a decent light, sometimes you get a dud. For headlamps, check out Zebralight and Spark.

raymondip

Newly Enlightened
In the same version, CREE LED is more powerful than Nichia, Rebel that I test before, and the price are more competitive. But one things are not every LED are suitable in the same reflector, different brand LED have different angle, it will effective the beam distance.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree doesn't make flashlights so what you are seeing is a product made by many (any) company that decided to put the name CREE on the side. In effect, they are unbranded lights. They may or may not be OK but unless there is a specific light that you are asking about that someone else has purchased there is no way to answer that question.

It's not always a case of those lights being Chinese copies. They are not all copies of some other light. They are just inexpensive (for the most part) flashlights.

Mar

Newly Enlightened
Hey thanks for the info, I'd rather save my money for something worth it.