Vote - What is your favorite form factor?

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
I have just received, and opened my new Quark X AA2. And I love it!

It is actually surprisingly my first double AA flashlight. I have many single AA lights, but never a double AA one... don't know why.
Anyway, I think it is such a great form factor. I thought it would be to long and to 'under powered', compared to my CR123/18650 lights etc...but it is superb!
I usually EDC a NiteCore EZ11 V2 or my HDS rotary, but I now think this double AA form factor may be really useful. It is thin, but not too thin, long but so easy to just pick up, grab and use.

Don't get me wrong, I love my HDS, and I am awaiting a 120 high CRI..I love the way the HDS lights grip and hold in the hand...but I think the Quark at least is just so practical and easy to use.
I am going to EDC this light...well im actually going to leave it in my pocket at work, as I think it will suit just perfect their...easy to grab, not to small...and still powerful.

So I was wondering...what are peoples favourite form factors for general all round use? (form factor being batt type/arrangement etc)

cbthedookie

Newly Enlightened
Interesting question... I'm probably the wrong person to answer, but I can't resist ringing in.

My first reaction is single AAA - I'm always amazed at small lights, and I love single AAA form factor lights. The IlluminaTi and LD01, for instance, are well made and put out (relatively) so much light and are infinitely "useful". But I also really like single AA light (SC51w) - again, so powerful (and versatile UI, in the Zebralight case) in a small package (sure wish ZL would do a single AAA light...).

But lately, I've been buying a few 18650 lights, and when I use a light at home, the one I almost always grab is my SC600w. These lights are still easy to carry, and are wildly more powerful than the other form factors.

Oddly, I have a few single 123 lights, but tend to like them the least - although when I pick up an HDS my sentiment may change...

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
Interesting question... I'm probably the wrong person to answer, but I can't resist ringing in.

My first reaction is single AAA - I'm always amazed at small lights, and I love single AAA form factor lights. The IlluminaTi and LD01, for instance, are well made and put out (relatively) so much light and are infinitely "useful". But I also really like single AA light (SC51w) - again, so powerful (and versatile UI, in the Zebralight case) in a small package (sure wish ZL would do a single AAA light...).

But lately, I've been buying a few 18650 lights, and when I use a light at home, the one I almost always grab is my SC600w. These lights are still easy to carry, and are wildly more powerful than the other form factors.

Oddly, I have a few single 123 lights, but tend to like them the least - although when I pick up an HDS my sentiment may change...

I have the SC600W as well, and I admit it is fantastic, so small for a 18650! The range of brightness settings on it and the tint are just so useful. But it is not as practical to fit in my top overall pocket for example. I have an ITP A3 SS, and that as you say is so small but bright for a single AAA. but almost to small if I was going to use it for any sort of work.

I am still really liking the Quark X AA2. Maybe not EDC for all occasions, but EDC for work I think, and dog walks (I know that doesn't really count as 'every day carry', but im going to try it). I do not have any double CR123 lights either to try?

I think the collection has a long way to go!

varmint

Enlightened
18650 single size #1
123 single size #2
AAA single size #3
2x18500 size #4

Based on carry and my usage, all 4 get used daily

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like 2AA an 2AAA in side by side versions. IMO side by sides are easier to carry in pocket or sheath than longer lights. I used a plastic Duracell side by side AA with a pr2 when backpacking and climbing in the early 70s.

l337m4n

Newly Enlightened
I love 18650 now thanks to my S-Mini, it is smaller than any 2xAA light and is brighter and has a longer runtime than any 3xAA light. 18650 is the most efficient now since it can give you the smallest, brightest and highest runtime lights. Since the 18650 has been shifted into full use now AA and AAA will become your smaller good runtime lights and the 18650 will be a bigger more power format, i guess it still depends on the need.

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
I have to admit...since I got my Zebralight SC600w, the 18650 format has become so much more useful for everyday use. Its the only small 185650 I have, but I imagine there will be many more to come. I like the double AA, as its advertised 'readily available AA batteries', as when I am away for a little longer, the AA or AAA format seems more appealing...but in all honesty, I can take a couple of spare CR123 or 18650's with me...and I think in reality I will not use more than that runtime. I mean in real use...I am not going to be stuck in permanent darkness for days on end. The efficiency of modern lights means you will have more than enough light to last almost any situation.

I'm only wondering, as I am going away soon for a 4 week course. And I want to take a flashlight that will last the course. So AA or AAA seems more appealing, but as I said, in reality any 18650 or CR123 with a few spares would probably still easily last the duration.

arosner3

Newly Enlightened
  1. 1x 18650
  2. 1x 123
  3. 2x AAA
I currently own a single 123 and a dual AAA flashlight but I am looking forward to purchasing one that uses a 18650.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
1xAA, call me crazy but that's all I need and then some.
+1

AAA feels a bit light on runtime, and bit too small to hold. AA is just small enough for EDC, yet large enough to feel good in hand. Also it's nice to be able to swap batts with my other portable devices.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My strong preference are lights with a single cell or single-cell length in AAA (10440 or NiMH), AA (14500 or NiMH), RCR123, 18650. I used to use 2xAAA or 2xAA or 2xRCR123 lights with the cells end-to-end because of the lumen output, but realized that they were all too long and disposed of them. Otherwise the SC600 or SC60 are the preferred lights because of run-time - which should be at least an hour+ on max output. I also have the TK35 and V60 as examples of single cell-length lights but with plenty of lumens and run-time.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's funny, when I joined I prefered 2XAA and most people seemed to prefer 1X123. Now I prefer 1X123 and everyone else seems to favor other forms first...

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's funny, when I joined I prefered 2XAA and most people seemed to prefer 1X123. Now I prefer 1X123 and everyone else seems to favor other forms first...
This statement is funny and sad.

I currently only own Quark X 123A^2 and Quark R5 123A. I bought these because of the runtime, size, output and mainly the moonlight feature. 123A is a decent size but has higher output with same runtime as AA's.

I am going to have to look into the SC600W/SC60 thats been mentioned. I really like the moonlight feature; it helps me get ready in the mornings without waking up the wife.

I really like the 2 lights I have, but I am also open to new options. I like small form factor for edc, I already carry too much in my pockets and need to keep to a minimum but need lots of output at work.

valueknifelover

Newly Enlightened
Just got my Quark Mini 123 recently. Have to say the 1x123 is now my favorite. Then 2xAAA (stylus pro) and then 1xAAA. Basically I love small easy to find batteries :)

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
2xCR2016 - super light and very compact so it is always with me and I don't even notice it. Can be very low illumination when I want, up to enough (just) to locate my dogs in our backyard.