Preon 2 vs. Stylus Pro + Other Flashlight Questions

Ravana

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm in the market for my first edc flashlight. Well second, I had a maratac AAA but realized then that bulky key-chains weren't my thing. As a result I've decided to give the penlight a shot.

From looking around it seems that the two biggest penlights are the 4Sevens Preon 2 (2.2-22-160 lumens) and Streamlight Stylus Pro (48 lumens). As a newbie to flashlights I'm not completely sold on having a dedicated flashlight over my Android Phone's LED flashlight so the Streamlight's price is pretty nice. But I also believe in buying a quality product with hopes that it will last longer so I don't end up paying twice for the same thing.

So I ask: In terms of quality how does the Streamlight fare against the Preon 2? In addition how often do you Preon 2 owners find yourself using the range of lights instead of going strait to med/high. Any other information that would help me make my decision would be much appreciated too.

Lastly general flashlight questions:

When I bought my knife I knew that it would be something that woulld never get outdated (well lightsabers are always a possibility...) so I was comfortable spending quite a bit for it. But with a light it seems tantamount to buying a computer. Every two years technology will get better, the Stylus Pro may just as well jump up to 96 lumens next! Given that, if I were to purchase the preon 2 how long could one anticipate being the king of penlights before another light (4sevens or other brand) takes its place. I ask this also because I know that the preon 2 has some iffy design features such as the clicky switch which most people report gets hit accidentally resulting in drained batteries. In a SHOT 2012 video 4sevens says they'll be looking at that so I assume that means an updated preon 2 in another year which means another $50.

I'm rambling now but I hope someone can understand what I'm getting all worked up about. Anyone care to share their opinions on what they would do if they were looking for their first dedicated light?

Thanks,
Rav

Jrubin

Newly Enlightened
Well first, I will say that I love my preon 1's and 2's. I don't own a stylus pro, but I love that I can switch (Lego) all the parts. Bodies, heads, tails, etc... You can make the light fit your current need. Which I guess makes it kinda future proof in a way. But I don't think when you buy a preon your buying a lifetime light. It has a 10 year guarantee but you cannot just unscrew the head and replace the led, for example. But with knives you get updates as well. There is always a new steel, handles, locking mechanism etc. so here is what I would do. I would buy both of them, they are not the expensive and i think both are undoubtably worth owning. You won't mind having both.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Preon1 hi cri and love it, I find the low modes great for late night paper work.
Streamlight Stylus Reach has a little more power than the pro, you may want to consider it.

BriteStrike makes a 2aaa light as well, not sure if it's been reviewed yet

valueknifelover

Newly Enlightened
The preon's are by far superior IMO. They are phenomenal little lights with great features and build quality. With that said I love my Stylus Pro and it's simplicity. I carry it every single day without fail. I may back it up with other lights but my primary EDC is the Stylus :) So simple, the price is right and 48 lumens is definitely adequate for normal tasks for most people. I do have a bigger light on me or near me most of the time just in case... but I am kind of attached to the Streamlight. Either way you can't go wrong. But my Stylus has not let me down yet and doesn't show any signs of letting up anytime soon. And I literally USE it everyday. I believe the differences really are cut and dry in this case. Stylus is simplicity in its finest and the Preon is probably the best penlight out there with features and output. Is the Preon worth the price difference? ABSOLUTELY. But in a year will you be pissed if you get the Stylus? Nope. I think you will love whichever you get :) Sorry for rambling.

Samy

Enlightened
I use a Preon2 every night at work clipped in my front pants pocket. I unscrew the head to lockout the light to prevent accidental pocket activations. Sometimes when out and about while not artwork I EDC it because it's so small you can't feel it.

It is VERY bright! But I mostly use the min or med modes.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Quark MiNi AA2. It is a twisty but it is shorter than a penlight. With 2AA batteries it is too heavy for shirt pocket carry (unless you wear workman's shirts with the button down flap). I carry mine in my jeans back pocket. Available in cool white and neutral white.
MiNi-AA2-size.jpg

EDIT
Look at the Fenix LD05 as well.

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I ask: In terms of quality how does the Streamlight fare against the Preon 2? In addition how often do you Preon 2 owners find yourself using the range of lights instead of going strait to med/high. Any other information that would help me make my decision would be much appreciated too.

I've done a run time test on a couple of 2xAAA pen lights including the Preon 2. This was done with freshly charged Eneloops. The Preon 2 is in a total different category than these other two below. It basically boils down to $45 light vs $20 lights. Reliability isn't what you are paying for........but features in my opinion. The Preon 2 on medium mode had something goofy going on with an oscillation and so I couldn't graph it. I'm assuming it's not the norm as I got less than 4 hours out of it. Spec says 6 hours. My eyes couldn't detect it buy my meter did. Thus it's efficiency wasn't good. The shape of the output on the Stylus Pro and the LS80 remind me of a simple Zetex type of driver.........not exactly current regulated...........but at the same time pretty efficient and simple.

I found the Stylus Pro to be the most efficient when taking the average output multiplied by the run time. The Terralux LS80 tint was fairly warm and that may be one of the contributing factors in less output efficiency.

Stylus Pro: 1880 x 375 min
Preon 2_high: 9250 x 58 min
Terralux LS80: 1610 x 301 min

Your choice also depends on how much you want to spend and will you feel bad if you lose it, or drop it. If you decide on the Preon 2, I'd also pick up one of the other lights just because they are so inexpensive and you don't have to worry about if it gets dropped, scratched or lost.

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used to love the combination of output/runtime/size of the Stylus Pro. The downside is I've had two of them fail now. The switches are pretty crap on them after a few months use. One was an original model and the second is a newer C4.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used to love the combination of output/runtime/size of the Stylus Pro. The downside is I've had two of them fail now. The switches are pretty crap on them after a few months use. One was an original model and the second is a newer C4.

Stylus Pro switch? You're right about that. I noticed that its the rubber boot that is so stiff and not the actual switch...........but don't know what to do about it. Good thing it wasn't much money.

Kokopelli

Enlightened
I just recently got a high CRI Preon II. It really is a nice light with well spaced modes. But the first thing I felt uncomfortable was the shaky switch cap and the little spring space it had. If you screw the tailcap tightly the switch is somewhat sticky and if you loosen it a bit it rattles. The light I have is the titanium black and the black part slips easily.

Criticism is up to here. It has a good size and a bright output even with a warm tint led. And maybe the best part is it has a low low output enough for almost any close up work. If I get bored of the warm tint I change the head with my ITP A3 R5 and have an even brighter cool white penlight.

My Terralux LS80 is yet to come. I think it will have a tougher body. The Preon felt just too fragile.

NOREAT

Newly Enlightened
I personally would get the Streamlight, as it has a very simple UI. As far as keeping up with technology, why try? My favorite light is the Surefire E2E. It is an ancient incandescent flashlight that has a mere 60 lumens for 1.25 hours, and only one mode. Why is it such a great light? Because of its design. There is something about most very high quality flashlights that make them timeless. It is never obsolete. As has been said many times on this forum there's more to a light than lumens. This is not to say, however, that the Streamlight is a very high quality light. The rant was for your future consideration.:)

fyrstormer

Banned
The switches on the Preons are crap also. They're press-fit into place, not screw-fit, and their electrical contact with the shell of the light consists of four little jagged metal points that dig into the shell (hopefully) and resist the pressure of the negative-electrode spring. In my experience it didn't work well at all.

Someone mentioned the Brite-Strike "Executive Precision Lighting Instrument" :)crackup:): http://brite-strike.com/epli.html It looks pretty cool, I wonder if the switch is any better than the other penlights on the market.

Harry999

Enlightened
I like my Preons but I am also considering now investing in a Peak SS Eiger 2AA. I have just ordered a Peak Logan SS with momentary switch and HCRI led because there are no heads available for the Peak penlite at the moment. When they get them in stock I will order one.

I think the Preon 1 and 2 are excellent for the price point they are in view of the current variety of LED options and legobility. They are not pure custom lights though - even the Titanium models. I do like them though otherwise I would not have six.

Natty Bumppo

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a Preon 2 with the regular cool LED and it is awesome! I am a physician and the low mode is great for pupils and sore throats. I primarily use the medium for checking wounds, foley catheters, and drains. The high output has very little use in a hospital but is great for walking to the car. It is an all around good choice. I dont think you could go wrong with either light. You could always just buy both and give one to your wife to keep in her purse.

tacticaltony

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking into a good penlight for edc. I've been considering the pelican 1920 and also the streamlite pro tac which should come out in April sometime. I just drained all my money on a surefire E2DL, and now I need a edc light. Im leaning toward the pelican. But the pro tac looks real nice in the specs. But it's too bad that following the ANSI fl1 standards isn't mandatory. So companies can exaggerate lumen output. My cousin who's a cop said pelican lights are good. And my mechanic uses a streamlite. But I don't wana just go for big name brands and not help other companies grow. Like u said, I want to buy the light only once and know that I won have any problems and end up having to buy it again. Also maglite has a xl200 that is new, but it's. Other and takes 3aaa's

T45

Enlightened
I own a Foursevens Preon 2, Streamlight Stylus Pro, and the Terralux LightStar 80. My thoughts and opinions:

The Preon 2 has the best beam profile and is the only multi level/multi mode light among the 3
The Preon 2 is the sexiest one of the group
The switch on the TerraLux is the easiest to operate, and also the largest, and is the only HCRI unit available without a special order
The Stylus Pro has the hardest switch to turn on
The Preon 2 is the only one that that will turn on in your pocket with an annoying regularity
The switch on the Preon 2 will sometimes requires 3 or 4 clicks to work, no idea why that is, and a number of users have reported the same issue.

The ProTac 2AAA seems to be a multi mode version of the Stylus Pro with a Large head.

Brite Strike EPLI. No one seems to have purchased one yet. I would like to see a review.

The Pelican 1920 looks like a smooth reflector unit. Wonder why only Foursevens has an Orange Peel reflector?

For me, an ideal unit would be a "tactical version" with forward clicky for momentary on, an OP reflector, single mode with a well designed switch. Change out the tail on the Preon 2 and limit the head to high only, ~ 120 Lumens, would be perfect.

The Fenix LD05 can still be found. I like its looks.

The search continues....

Camper Greg

Newly Enlightened
I have had a Preon 2 for over a year. It usually sits in my Rite In the Rain Field Planner and occasionally in a lab coat pocket. Suffice to say, it is not abused. Unfortunately the blue color is wearing off in several spots. Even in areas not subjected to wear. This reveals a silver color. For the price of this light, I'm not impressed with the colored finish.

rishabharies

Newly Enlightened
I can't comment on preon 2 cuz i don't own one, but it does seem like a nice light. I am actually in the sane dilemma with the only exception that i own a Streamlight stylus Pro and absolutely love it. Although, i have put that thing through hell, dropped it tons of times, stepped on it, threw it across the shop at another mechanic for him to use, dipped the led end in boiling coolant, dropped it in a bucket of hot engine oil.
The trail cap was the first thing to go, no click, just constantly on. So i stopped using it and got another cheap pen light. But something brought me back to the Streamlight. I just keep unscrewing it shortly to kill the light but I'm using it on daily basis again. I love the tint of the light too, it's not bluish, it's pure white. I might get another stylus considering i got coolant in the reflector area of the one i have now. Oops.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, here is my Preon Collection:
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/...5-07/FBC2E013-46D1-4398-A0C1-60133AAC2F5F.jpg

and I don't have a picture of my Stylus Pro, but if I did you would see a metal screw clamp holding the switch together. It broke less than two weeks after I bought it. I do have two other Streamlights, both which work well and have lasted very well. I love my Preon's. I was a Chief Flight Nurse for an air ambulance company, and my hi CRI titanium Preon II flew all around the country with me. The FourSevens Penlight and Olight O-penlight and their 180 lumens were not around back then or they may have given the Preon some competition. I found that inside an airplane the "Low" setting was sufficient 95% of the time. When going from the ambulance to aircraft, the high setting was used. I always had a Preon I for backup and a couple of extra sets of batteries. Four Sevens also has the very best warrant service in the industry. I have found that Four Sevens is often copied, but never beaten. That's my 2 cents worth...