Olympia Products
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When will we see the alternate screw-in reflector for the Spark SD series?

Default When will we see the alternate screw-in reflector for the Spark SD series?

Starting a thread just to remind Xyber that there are a number of us who would like to have the screw-in reflector bezel he's promised for the SD series. If you're waiting for one, chime in!!

Default Re: When will we see the alternate screw-in reflector for the Spark SD series?

Swell. So it's just me. Thanks for the overwhelming support.

Flashaholic

Default Re: When will we see the alternate screw-in reflector for the Spark SD series?

Ha, Just saw this. I will add to your overwhelming support. LOL I hope its soon, but I am oncall this week for work, so hopefully I have one on my head for the next oncall in 5 weeks.....
    You have to decide what your priorities are and have the courage--pleasantly, smilingly, non-apologetically--to say no to other things. And the way to do that is by having a bigger yes burning inside. The enemy of the best is often the good.

Bolster I'm with you man!!! I want to see this happen soon! Reading some of these posts really drives the point
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...r-Night-Hiking this guy would like the SD fit it had the conversion bezels!
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...e-inside-Attic same here!
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-Pure-Flood-HL the list goes on.......

End of thread! From Xyber:

Hi Bolster,I saw your thread regarding the SD reflector. It is available right now, www.sbflashlights.com andwww.goinggear.com are going to get it within a week. As what we've seen on the samples, it is not that throwy like ST6 does, but still does.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
    End of thread! From Xyber:

Hi Bolster,I saw your thread regarding the SD reflector. It is available right now, www.sbflashlights.com andwww.goinggear.com are going to get it within a week. As what we've seen on the samples, it is not that throwy like ST6 does, but still does.
    Bolster where is the SD reflector on www.sbflashlights.com ? I typed in SD reflector, and searched under spark products, but I do not see anything ?

Quote Originally Posted by marcis View Post
    Bolster where is the SD reflector on www.sbflashlights.com ? I typed in SD reflector, and searched under spark products, but I do not see anything ?
    c'mon man, hasn't Bolster done enough? is it now his job to check inventory and update other people's websites? ask the guys who actually work at SBflashlights or Going Gear.

i apologize for butting in here as i know this has nothing to do with me, but good grief.

Quote Originally Posted by robostudent5000 View Post
    c'mon man, hasn't Bolster done enough? is it now his job to check inventory and update other people's websites? ask the guys who actually work at SBflashlights or Going Gear.

i apologize for butting in here as i know this has nothing to do with me, but good grief.
    .It's not even worth my time, but ... take a chill pill, gees. If bolster does or doesn't know the answer it would take him less than 10 seconds to tell me in a post. So just relax guy, more important things in life to get upset about.

Quote Originally Posted by marcis View Post
    .It's not even worth my time, but ... take a chill pill, gees. If bolster does or doesn't know the answer it would take him less than 10 seconds to tell me in a post.
    you know who else could take 10 seconds or less to answer your question? the guys at SBFlasghlights.

Flashaholic

Or could do a little search over on the Marketplace forum to find a very recent post from one of the guys at SBFlasghlights... (complete with photos)

Quote Originally Posted by BarryH View Post
    Or could do a little search over on the Marketplace forum to find a very recent post from one of the guys at SBFlasghlights... (complete with photos)
    Actually you can't if you are not registered. search is disabled for non members, like me

Here is one of the links to the SD series reflector - http://www.sbflashlights.com/Spark-H...ctor-p212.html . Going gear is also suppose to carry this, but I have yet to check the site.

Sorry, late to this thread, but Marcis has posted the only actual buy-link I'm aware of. I think goinggear is waiting for actual stock to arrive before posting a buy-link (?)

Photos:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?262091-Spark-SD-series-headlamp-reflector-adapter!-It-s-been-a-long-wait&highlight=reflector

L
    ooks to me that significantly less light would be lost, as compared to the previous dark-anodozed bezel. So I'd expect this to make the light brighter overall, not just less floody.

Who'll be first with beamshots?
    Last edited by Bolster; 02-20-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Party Re: When will we see the alternate screw-in reflector for the Spark SD series?

I have one coming for my SD6.

I found the Spark SD to be basically useless with the amount of flood so Im really looking forward to the reflector.

Hoping it is similar or even more focused than my excellent Zebra H600 beam

My carp is that I suspect a lot of light is lost with the dark anodized stock bezel. I like the super flood for work, but when I measure output in my Lumen Toob, I don't get readings nearly where they should be, for the 280 lumen advertised.

Sweet...you mean to tell me that all I have to do is pay $10 and I get another kick ass headlamp...wow...that's cool! Thanks Spark. What a great idea. Just change the bezel setup and change the beam profile. 2 lamps for the price of one plus $10

Totally agree. I've been whining for a year, for Zebralight to add threaded bezels to their lights. Think of the possibilities.

Yeah Bolster maybe we should be thanking you. I remember this was originally your idea.

I've got one on the way. I'm hoping for a big improvement for $10 you can't go wrong. (fingers crossed)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffa View Post
    I've got one on the way. I'm hoping for a big improvement for $10 you can't go wrong. (fingers crossed)
    Update: Just received my reflector and the fit and finish is perfect. My SD6-460NW is now much more versatile for most of my uses and with one quick change back to the original bezel I can work underneath my car or in the engne compartment perfectly. This new bezel was an awesome idea and for $10 I essentially have two lights.

Great Job Spark / Bolster!
    Last edited by Jeffa; 03-08-2012 at 06:06 PM.

1) Glad to hear it
    2) I didn't do anything except whine for it
    3) Hopefully Zebralight is paying attention.
    4) Mine's finally in the mail. (Waited till it was stocked at Goinggear since they had other stuff I wanted.)

Has anyone measured the width of the spill beam with the SD reflector?

Thought we'd have a measurement or a beamshot by now...nothing. My reflector's in the mail. If nobody will beamshot/measure before then, I will.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
    Thought we'd have a measurement or a beamshot by now...nothing. My reflector's in the mail. If nobody will beamshot/measure before then, I will.
    There's a review with some beamshots in the German Taschenlampen-Forum .
    Compares SD6 with and without reflector against ST6.

Click here for Google translation of the review.

Best regards,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by loopguru View Post
    There's a review with some beamshots in the German Taschenlampen-Forum .
    Compares SD6 with and without reflector against ST6.

Click here for Google translation of the review.

THANK YOU!

Those beamshots are very helpful - I can see that the reflectored SD6 has a much tighter spill than the ST6. I'm considering buying a Spark for caving, and I'm looking for as wide a spill as possible.

Received my reflector today...but given the nice job at the German website above...no need for me to take more beamshots (unless someone really wants to see a white wall.)

I trigged the beam with reflector to: 18° spot, 70° spill. (Check my math? 36" from wall. Spot dia of 11.5", spill dia of 51".)

My impression: it's turned the SD52 into a traditional sort of spot-with-spill light. It's tighter and more throwy than I was expecting. Which is fine, especially if I need to use this light for searching at an upcoming CERT event. However I read a previous post where someone said something to the effect that "the reflector now makes this a useable light." I disagree-- for my purposes at least (handwork), the all-flood beam with the original bezel is superior. But...now we have a single light that should do duty as either a wide light for handwork, reading, or setting up camp; OR a throwy light for bicycling, searching, kayaking, etc, all with just a quick change of the bezel. That's how it should be. This would be a nice dual-use backpacking light now. (Watch and learn, Zebralight!)

I still have a carp with the original bezel. It should be painted white at least; I think it loses a lot of light to the dark anodization. And the next generation of this light should also remember its last setting (past the first couple of months of ownership); it should also step down, and not just die, when batteries are near exhaustion. Still a very usable and now FLEXIBLE light, despite these drawbacks.

Good job on the optional reflector, Spark.
    Last edited by Bolster; 03-16-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Flashaholic*

I wonder if you could remove the anodizing and polish the aluminum for he stock reflector? Just an idea. Great beamshots, I think the SD series is not what I am looking for though, the beam is too tight with the reflector and maybe too floody without it. Oh well.

This finally makes this light appealing for me. I hate floody lights while trail walking at night, although a floody light is nice in camp. Now I can have both options with very little additional weight & bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
    I wonder if you could remove the anodizing and polish the aluminum for he stock reflector? Just an idea. Great beamshots, I think the SD series is not what I am looking for though, the beam is too tight with the reflector and maybe too floody without it. Oh well.
    Yeah, exactly. I tried to disassemble my stock bezel, and finally asked Xyber why I couldn't disassemble it. Answer? The chrome ring that retains the glass is a press fit. Removing a press-fit ring next to optical glass is extremely difficult; chances are you'd break the glass trying. But if you could remove that chrome ring, then you could get to the inside of the bezel and paint it white, or polish it, or whatever.

LOL at the too wide/ too focused comment, I understand. I was a little deflated how focused the reflective bezel was, I was hoping for a 60-80 degree flood. (Zebralight H501s are 80 degrees.) I am actually considering trying to diffuse the reflective bezel but that's probably a fool's errand. With a hot spot that strong it's not going to modify easily. Probably best to just enjoy it for what it is, and the throw will come in handy on occasion.

Not complaining, I'm thrilled to have my first ultra-wide-flood AND spot/spill convertible light, rolled up into one bright, long-lasting 2AA headlamp. Maybe not perfect, but in some ways, as good as it gets.
    Last edited by Bolster; 03-17-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Update, just tried the reflector for my first night walk. WOW, that makes a big difference; the trail is nice and light for a good amount into the distance, with good spill to either side. Quite the improvement over hiking with pure flood. I think the trail hikers will like this accessory a lot. (I doubt it throws enough for bicyclists, but haven't tried it yet.)

If this light were offered in a compact 1AA format, that stepped down toward the end of battery life, and retained the interchangeable bezel function, I think you'd have a wildly popular backpacker's light...especially when it became available in high CRI versions.
    Last edited by Bolster; 03-17-2012 at 10:02 PM.