Gear to help you conquer!
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: What is the most impressive/brightest thrower for under $200

  1. #1

    Default What is the most impressive/brightest thrower for under $200

    Hi all, I'm looking for something that has an extremely tight beam that can light stuff up from a mile or more away. The more lumens the better.

    I don't have a specific purpose, I just want something awesomely bright.

    I'd love for it to use 18650 batteries if possible.

  2. #2
    BVH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    CentCalCoast
    Posts
    5,886

    Default Re: What is the most impressive/brightest thrower for under $200

    The Megaray at around $7K or a Maxabeam at around $2.5K are the only two candidates for your desire. But you'll need a telescope or a strong pair of Binocs to see the scant amount of light at that distance. Technically, they will put a dim spot on something a mile away but it's useless because you won't see it.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

  3. #3
    Flashaholic JulianP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ratsbew
    Hi all, I'm looking for something that has an extremely tight beam that can light stuff up from a mile or more away. The more lumens the better.

    I don't have a specific purpose, I just want something awesomely bright.

    I'd love for it to use 18650 batteries if possible.
    I think only a laser will fit your specs.
    Malo odiat lux (Latin proverb - Evil hates light)

  4. #4

    Default Re: What is the most impressive/brightest thrower for under $200

    Okay then, tone down my requirements. I want something very bright that throws light a long distance. Forget about exact distances.

  5. #5
    Flashaholic* AnAppleSnail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South Hill, VA
    Posts
    4,061

    Default Re: What is the most impressive/brightest thrower for under $200

    Quote Originally Posted by ratsbew View Post
    Okay then, tone down my requirements. I want something very bright that throws light a long distance. Forget about exact distances.
    Buy the newest Deft EDC, but it won't be practical without a diffuser handy for using it at ranges closer than the next zip code. It'll push right up to the edge of your budget, and you'll need Li-Ion cells (and the requisite knowledge to use them safely).
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

  6. #6

    Default Re: What is the most impressive/brightest thrower for under $200

    Quote Originally Posted by ratsbew View Post
    Okay then, tone down my requirements. I want something very bright that throws light a long distance. Forget about exact distances.
    You will not find a similar-sized thrower that beats the DEFT-edc LR. The previous model, the DEFT-edc, fits your budget at $199. The LR is $299 and 50% brighter, with a neutral tint. I'd get that if I were you. Both run on 18650s, so you're good to go.

    Google DEFT EDC and you'll find what you need!

  7. #7

    Default Re: What is the most impressive/brightest thrower for under $200

    Quote Originally Posted by AnAppleSnail View Post
    Buy the newest Deft EDC, but it won't be practical without a diffuser handy for using it at ranges closer than the next zip code. It'll push right up to the edge of your budget, and you'll need Li-Ion cells (and the requisite knowledge to use them safely).
    All the new DEFT-edc models are now shipping with a stowable diffuser.

  8. #8
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: What is the most impressive/brightest thrower for under $200

    Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    The Megaray at around $7K or a Maxabeam at around $2.5K are the only two candidates for your desire. But you'll need a telescope or a strong pair of Binocs to see the scant amount of light at that distance. Technically, they will put a dim spot on something a mile away but it's useless because you won't see it.
    I think MaxaBeam is the best .

  9. #9

    Default Re: What is the most impressive/brightest thrower for under $200

    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

  10. #10
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Westminster, CA
    Posts
    94

    Default Re: What is the most impressive/brightest thrower for under $200

    how about this? seems to fit what your looking for

    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...HID-Flashlight

  11. #11

    Buttrock Re: What is the most impressive/brightest thrower for under $200

    I'd get a Fenix TK70 or SR90, used, to keep the $ down. The useful light is greatly increased, and probably closer to what is being looked for.

    The SR90 uses the 18650s, but in a sealed handle, the TK 70 runs on D cells....all using rechargeables.
    Last edited by TEEJ; 02-13-2012 at 09:56 AM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: What is the most impressive/brightest thrower for under $200

    Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
    I'd get a Fenix TK70 or SR90, used, to keep the $ down. The useful light is greatly increased, and probably closer to what is being looked for.

    The SR90 uses the 18650s, but in a sealed handle, the TK 70 runs on D cells....all using rechargeables.
    OP said his budget was sub $200. SR90 doesn't make the cut.

  13. #13

    Default Re: What is the most impressive/brightest thrower for under $200

    Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoastToad View Post
    OP said his budget was sub $200. SR90 doesn't make the cut.
    Hence the "used" part mentioned.



    The DEFT edc LR is ~ $300, and recommended as well.

  14. #14

    Default Re: What is the most impressive/brightest thrower for under $200

    Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
    Hence the "used" part mentioned.



    The DEFT edc LR is ~ $300, and recommended as well.
    Sorry, you're right, was speed reading on my phone and didn't see you wrote used. I would like to own a SR90 as well.

  15. #15
    *Flashaholic* Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    10,291

    Default Re: What is the most impressive/brightest thrower for under $200

    The Stanley HID has long been one of the best, inexpensive throwers in the HID forum. It doesn't use 18650's but definitely meets the "impressive" criteria and at less than $80 fits well within the budget.

  16. #16

    Default Re: What is the most impressive/brightest thrower for under $200

    Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoastToad View Post
    Sorry, you're right, was speed reading on my phone and didn't see you wrote used. I would like to own a SR90 as well.
    Yep, another vote for the SR90. I just got mine (new) with 15 percent off coupon, so above the OP's price range. But it's an amazing thrower. I was walking in the dark around a lake last evening. Had the SR90 on its shoulder strap and my Tiny Monster in hand. While the TM provided excellent flood and very good reach, the SR90 embarrassed it by shining clear across the lake, lighting up trees and homes that the TM couldn't touch.

  17. #17

    Default Re: What is the most impressive/brightest thrower for under $200

    Quote Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
    Yep, another vote for the SR90. I just got mine (new) with 15 percent off coupon, so above the OP's price range. But it's an amazing thrower. I was walking in the dark around a lake last evening. Had the SR90 on its shoulder strap and my Tiny Monster in hand. While the TM provided excellent flood and very good reach, the SR90 embarrassed it by shining clear across the lake, lighting up trees and homes that the TM couldn't touch.
    I picked up a used SR 90, and its a beast. I could see down a power line the other night about 730 meters based on tower to tower measurements. Reflectors were lit up past that, but frankly, my EYES are limiting factor at this point.

  18. #18
    *Flashaholic* Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    10,291

    Default Re: What is the most impressive/brightest thrower for under $200

    I really enjoy the SR90 as well. It rivals many of the HID's that I own but has more run-time. The only reason that I didn't mention it was because they typically sell used in the Marketplace for $350+

  19. #19
    Flashaholic Fresh Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Stratford WI
    Posts
    379

    Default Re: What is the most impressive/brightest thrower for under $200

    You'd need 275.00 batts and a charger, but it's impressive. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...araPower-Turbo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •