What is the most impressive/brightest thrower for under $200

ratsbew

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I'm looking for something that has an extremely tight beam that can light stuff up from a mile or more away. The more lumens the better.

I don't have a specific purpose, I just want something awesomely bright.

I'd love for it to use 18650 batteries if possible.

BVH

Flashaholic
The Megaray at around $7K or a Maxabeam at around $2.5K are the only two candidates for your desire. But you'll need a telescope or a strong pair of Binocs to see the scant amount of light at that distance. Technically, they will put a dim spot on something a mile away but it's useless because you won't see it.

JulianP

Enlightened
ratsbew said:
Hi all, I'm looking for something that has an extremely tight beam that can light stuff up from a mile or more away. The more lumens the better.

I don't have a specific purpose, I just want something awesomely bright.

I'd love for it to use 18650 batteries if possible.

I think only a laser will fit your specs.

ratsbew

Newly Enlightened
Okay then, tone down my requirements. I want something very bright that throws light a long distance. Forget about exact distances.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay then, tone down my requirements. I want something very bright that throws light a long distance. Forget about exact distances.
Buy the newest Deft EDC, but it won't be practical without a diffuser handy for using it at ranges closer than the next zip code. It'll push right up to the edge of your budget, and you'll need Li-Ion cells (and the requisite knowledge to use them safely).

GulfCoastToad

Newly Enlightened

You will not find a similar-sized thrower that beats the DEFT-edc LR. The previous model, the DEFT-edc, fits your budget at $199. The LR is $299 and 50% brighter, with a neutral tint. I'd get that if I were you. Both run on 18650s, so you're good to go.

Google DEFT EDC and you'll find what you need!

GulfCoastToad

Newly Enlightened
Buy the newest Deft EDC, but it won't be practical without a diffuser handy for using it at ranges closer than the next zip code. It'll push right up to the edge of your budget, and you'll need Li-Ion cells (and the requisite knowledge to use them safely).

All the new DEFT-edc models are now shipping with a stowable diffuser.

matthewcyho

Newly Enlightened
The Megaray at around $7K or a Maxabeam at around $2.5K are the only two candidates for your desire. But you'll need a telescope or a strong pair of Binocs to see the scant amount of light at that distance. Technically, they will put a dim spot on something a mile away but it's useless because you won't see it.

I think MaxaBeam is the best .

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'd get a Fenix TK70 or SR90, used, to keep the $ down. The useful light is greatly increased, and probably closer to what is being looked for.

The SR90 uses the 18650s, but in a sealed handle, the TK 70 runs on D cells....all using rechargeables.

Last edited:

GulfCoastToad

Newly Enlightened
I'd get a Fenix TK70 or SR90, used, to keep the $ down. The useful light is greatly increased, and probably closer to what is being looked for.

The SR90 uses the 18650s, but in a sealed handle, the TK 70 runs on D cells....all using rechargeables.

OP said his budget was sub $200. SR90 doesn't make the cut.

GulfCoastToad

Newly Enlightened
Hence the "used" part mentioned.

:D

The DEFT edc LR is ~ $300, and recommended as well.

Sorry, you're right, was speed reading on my phone and didn't see you wrote used. I would like to own a SR90 as well.

Patriot

Flashaholic
The Stanley HID has long been one of the best, inexpensive throwers in the HID forum. It doesn't use 18650's but definitely meets the "impressive" criteria and at less than $80 fits well within the budget.

MDJAK

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, you're right, was speed reading on my phone and didn't see you wrote used. I would like to own a SR90 as well.

Yep, another vote for the SR90. I just got mine (new) with 15 percent off coupon, so above the OP's price range. But it's an amazing thrower. I was walking in the dark around a lake last evening. Had the SR90 on its shoulder strap and my Tiny Monster in hand. While the TM provided excellent flood and very good reach, the SR90 embarrassed it by shining clear across the lake, lighting up trees and homes that the TM couldn't touch.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Yep, another vote for the SR90. I just got mine (new) with 15 percent off coupon, so above the OP's price range. But it's an amazing thrower. I was walking in the dark around a lake last evening. Had the SR90 on its shoulder strap and my Tiny Monster in hand. While the TM provided excellent flood and very good reach, the SR90 embarrassed it by shining clear across the lake, lighting up trees and homes that the TM couldn't touch.

I picked up a used SR 90, and its a beast. I could see down a power line the other night about 730 meters based on tower to tower measurements. Reflectors were lit up past that, but frankly, my EYES are limiting factor at this point. :D

Patriot

Flashaholic
I really enjoy the SR90 as well. It rivals many of the HID's that I own but has more run-time. The only reason that I didn't mention it was because they typically sell used in the Marketplace for $350+