Electronic cigarette battery explodes

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yet another poor choice for l-ion batteries. Perhaps NiMH would be a better battery for devices held with the mouth.

But, from a historical point of view it is interesting. Someone has finally managed to make second hand cigarette smoke more hazardous by orders of magnitude.

Will wonders never cease? Ah, the 21st century!

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
after seeing pics of other exploding LiON cells here (with dented metal cabinets etc!) I figured the lion battery was the issue & didn't need to see pics of the guy's face missing teeth etc There are alot of these electric cigs with CW LED light at tip out there. personally I would prefer a warm or amber LED ;-)
Most folks that have them have not spent any time here at cpf learning about the wonders and perrils of Lion cells. sorry to hear it happend once yet given the circumstances it could happend again.
wonder if it was a rechargable cell??

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

Yes, and maybe soon, this should be moved to the Battery-Smoke & fire Forum?

Do those things have to use PROtected cells ?? Are they long enough ?

~

andrewnewman

Enlightened
I obviously don't have any more information than is readily available to others. Also I am not a smoker (electronic or otherwise). Having said that, however, I do recall reading an article where these devices (which apparently use an electric resistance element) are often designed to run on CR123 batteries (for the higher voltage) and that many "enthusiasts" prefer to use the AW IMR16340 cell because it
supports higher discharge rates (more current). Could have been a short with an IMR battery dumping a huge amount of current and simultaneously producing a lot of heat. I realize I am speculating wildly but I do think this might remain moderately interesting to the flashlight crowd.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

I kinda think these things will repidly loose their popularity , now .

Maybe they should have a 2 foot extension of surgical tubing - to suck on ?

That guy lost his teeth and part of his tongue ......... OUCH !

~

shadowjk

Enlightened
A coworker of mine is a fan of these electrical cigarettes. His runs on 2x18650 Red Ultrafire cells. I'm fully expecting he'll get more smoke than he expected at some point: )

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
A coworker of mine is a fan of these electrical cigarettes. His runs on 2x18650 Red Ultrafire cells. I'm fully expecting he'll get more smoke than he expected at some point: )

Two 18650 cells? WOW sounds like a thick stoagie. 2 x 18650s stacked is the same amount of juice I need to run my Catapault V3.
The one I saw was the size and diameter of a cigarette. figured it would take those "mini hockey puck" 1/2 inch diameter cells.