Battery Junction - Olight
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Gruesome Walking Dead Zombie Merge Horror. Which flashlight would you EDC?

Unenlightened

Default Re: The Walking Dead tribute. Which flashlight would you EDC?

Quote Originally Posted by valueknifelover View Post
    This is the realization that I have now come to as well. It's time that I give in.
    yeah give in cause its totally awesome im about to start reading the comics well graphic novel cause i heard its just as good

Quote Originally Posted by NeonLights View Post
    LOL, sorry to break it to you, that isn't a flashlight, that is a column mounted automatic transmission gearshift lever from the Ford Taurus Lori wrecked. She broke it off and stabbed the walker in its eye with it.

Edit: I went back and watched the scene again in slow motion, and it looks like it is probably the wiper/turn signal stalk, also mounted on the steering column.
    Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    ^^ I thought she pulled a screwdriver off the floor. Pretty unrealistic to waste a good flashlight on a Zombie, esp. in the PAW.
    Perhaps this flashlight might do a better job?

LOL

I've never seen the show....

But I was inspired to post a section from a site that makes and sells incendiary ammunition...apparently, for pistols, rifles and shotguns:

This ammo is manufactured by Northern Arizona Munitions (N.A.M.), which is a fully licensed and insured ammunition manufacturer. They have been manufacturing incendiary grade ammunition for 22 years. They manufacture the projectiles for this ammo from the ground up using custom made bullet jackets that are thin at the tip and thick at the base, so they will rip open easier upon impact with the target. The manufacturer has a limited amount of bullet jackets to make this ammo. This ammo has a chemical mixture that is very similar to the 50 cal. Raufoss and also has the sea green tip color. It contains Barium, Titanium Sponge, and Zirconium Sponge under the bullet jacket at the tip of the bullet. The Zirconium Sponge and bullet jacket is what separates this ammo from a regular Incendiary round. This ammo is designed to be shot into a hard target that will rip the bullet jacket open to expose the chemical mixture. Metal, concrete, and rocks will rip the jacket open the best to give you the optimum performance of this ammo. This ammo will give you twice the flash bang as regular Incendiary ammo. This ammo will burn at 5000 degrees at point of impact. Use EXTREME CAUTION, this ammo is highly flammable upon impact. This ammo is completely safe to shoot through your weapon.

Default Re: A new twist - show us your zombie lights collection and explain why you chose the

First off, totally new here, so a big Hello

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    Got a chance to take some pix my Zombie lighting kit.

The Goal Zero will be the bug-in or extended BOB charger, and will cut charge times in half from the Powerfilm, but is also about 3x the size and weight. The Goal Zero, however, will handle 12V charging and will even charge an iPad (tested).
    Second, sorry if this is a silly noob question, since it is my first post I think I am entitled to ask at least one silly question, do you happen to know if that Guide 10 (I am guessing that is a Guide 10 kit by the size) can run a Pile IBC charger?

Thanks

Default Re: A new twist - show us your zombie lights collection and explain why you chose the

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    Can I get some links to these nifty solar chargers you guys have?
    PM Sent

This is a great thread. It finally motivated me to contact Cottonpickers on the marketplace and ask him to build me a foldable solar charger set up. Should be ready in a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRandom View Post

Second, sorry if this is a silly noob question, since it is my first post I think I am entitled to ask at least one silly question, do you happen to know if that Guide 10 (I am guessing that is a Guide 10 kit by the size) can run a Pile IBC charger?

Thanks
    First off welcome. Second off, I don't own a PILA (fixed that for ya) charger, so I can't say 100% that it will...but, I will say that the Goal 10 is a "dumb charger"...everything is hard-wired. It will give whatever juice it can to whatever is drawing from it. The kit comes with an auto adapter, so if your PILA charger has one, I don't see an issue. I use it to charge my 6V Surefire B65 batteries, so, in the the end, it depends on the devie, and not the solar panel. The Nomad-7, the panel that comes with the kit, is 7-Watts (yeah, the panels are UBER efficient), so you can power anything with a low draw. People said they were able to charge their IPads (albeit slowly) with it. Hope this helps, and again, welcome!

Now, to keep this thread on topic, you have to post at least one of your ZPAW Lights...

Thanks
    Welcome...

Looks to me like your charger needs 6V, 2-3A. The Nomad7/Guide10 kit can't supply that (although there are larger kits), both outputs (Nomad7 solar and Guide10 battery) are around 1 amp output max .... more HERE

Also a charger like that really needs a battery buffer (which is what the Guide 10 pack is). You need constant flow of energy or a passing cloud will cause the charger to shutdown and reboot.

For sheer durability sake I'm coming to the conclusion that Powerfilm has got it down in the thin film department with their waterproof rollable units. They've got a video showing a rollable hooked up to a multi-meter, measure volts and amperage, then shoot 6-7 rounds through it at about 15 yards and then hooked back up to the multimeter.
    You can see the damage, looked like about 8-9 cells were compromised. The voltage was almost unchanged, slight loss of amperage.
    They did mention that shooting holes in the unit would compromise it's waterproofness and might allow moisture to seep into the laminations. I'd think that you could use some good quality UV resistant flexible sealant to seal the holes though.

For the longest life and efficiency it still looks like high quality mono-crystalline silicon is best as long as you can keep from breaking them or shooting holes in them.
    I'd carry a smaller mono-crystalline panel for Mad Max world or a bigger, lighter, flexible panel for through hiking and beach bumming.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

The flexible ones will still wear out. Everything that bends will break eventually. In a "Mad Max world", your best bet would be to have lots of rechargeable batteries, charge them only when it's safe to bust out your equipment, and use candles when you don't NEED electric lighting.

I was holding out for 20 days on the paklite for an update, but here we are at 19... 456 hours, and ever so slightly starting to dim. You would never notice unless there was a control light for comparison, which I have. Still chugging along at a couple of lumens, 57 eight hour nights worth of illumination on the included Duracell 9v.

the Pak-lite rocks.
    I love how there isn't anything to it, no body hardly, without it's host battery.
    I'm definitely getting a couple of those and putting one in my kit without a battery and one for home with both of the batteries.

fyrstormer, I don't want to say too much before I've got something that works but I'm working on a project that will turn the whole light weight, durable, sustainable charging problem on it's head -at least for me. I'd of course love to turn it into a viable product but I'm not sure that it will be practical to produce for a fair price, either way I'll most likely test the waters with you fine people if it works out well for my own use, total Mad Max minus all the pig $#!+ and methane. Then will come the LiFePO4 compatible version...

And on a related note, I wanna make or see a LiFePO4 powered light where the battery and the led are basically matched together for lifespan, along with lifespan matched, reliable charger, matched switches, and if there were any question of it's lasting 50,000 hours then possibly a backup driver installed on board...
    Instead of carrying multiple batteries for one light you'd carry a spare identical light, and each would be balanced to run for about 50,000 hours before appreciable efficiency loss.
    With a 36Wh battery the light would weigh a bit over a pound with most of the weight being the battery, would contain about as much energy as carrying 1.25 lbs of Eneloops.
    (actually it would weigh a bit more on top of that, because it would be a shame to make the battery tube of such a light out of a metal like aluminum that won't spring back after impact, spring tempered steel for the battery tube is a no brainer, 'cause it's almost bound to do some repetitive whacking over the years.)
    Last edited by eh4; 02-28-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Many thanks all for the welcome and the great info! Will dig into it.

LOL, I certainly fat-fingered that one; "Pile" instead of "Pila"

Sorry for the detour.

Quote Originally Posted by eh4 View Post
    fyrstormer, I don't want to say too much before I've got something that works but I'm working on a project that will turn the whole light weight, durable, sustainable charging problem on it's head -at least for me. I'd of course love to turn it into a viable product but I'm not sure that it will be practical to produce for a fair price, either way I'll most likely test the waters with you fine people if it works out well for my own use, total Mad Max minus all the pig $#!+ and methane. Then will come the LiFePO4 compatible version...
    You'll still have to feed the squirrels though. People will get suspicious when they see you collecting acorns ten hours a day.

Many thanks all for the welcome and the great info! Will dig into it.

LOL, I certainly fat-fingered that one; "Pile" instead of "Pila"

Sorry for the detour.
    You were technically correct, just not in English. "Pile" is the French word for "battery".

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    I was holding out for 20 days on the paklite for an update, but here we are at 19... 456 hours, and ever so slightly starting to dim. You would never notice unless there was a control light for comparison, which I have. Still chugging along at a couple of lumens, 57 eight hour nights worth of illumination on the included Duracell 9v.
    Now do it with an Ultralast lithium 9V.

I've got another 133 hours (as of right now) until spec runtime is met... We'll see about the Ultralast. I'm thinking if the good folks at pak-lite were on the money about alkaline runtime, I may just take their word about the Lithiums.
    Last edited by scout24; 02-29-2012 at 03:45 AM.

Enlightened

Zebralight SC80 - cr123, AA, small, reliable and can switch on in low. Good run times, easily available cells, rechargables can be topped up by car charger or solar charger.

Whats needed for "walking dead" is a stronger female lead. How 'bout Ellen Ripley from the "Alien" movies. In fact, add the aliens too. Then let the zombies and the aliens duke it out, now that would be worth watching!
    ^G When I reply, threads die....

BTW - Is there a way to cast a light upon the problem that if zombies eat the brains of their victims, the victims would not become zombies...and the only source of new zombies would be the people who got away wounded?

And if they are rotting anyway, does eating help them at all?

Do they just continue to rot over time, slowly decomposing until they are just skeletons? Once they are devoid of muscle tissue, do they still move?

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    You'll still have to feed the squirrels though. People will get suspicious when they see you collecting acorns ten hours a day.
    Yeah, you got me.
    Plenty of squirrels around here, just got to coax them into the cage and explain the charging curve to them.

Quote Originally Posted by ^Gurthang View Post
    Whats needed for "walking dead" is a stronger female lead. How 'bout Ellen Ripley from the "Alien" movies. In fact, add the aliens too. Then let the zombies and the aliens duke it out, now that would be worth watching!
    Agreed! Warrant Officer Ripley is an all around bad-ass woman, and an Apocalyptic cockroach like the Alien is a terrifying foe, especially if it ever made it planetside.
    I grew up with Alien and Aliens, the Walking Dead barely elicit any increased pulse rate, I could nap through it mostly aside from the gross out factor.
    28 Days Later, now that's a pretty damn good zombie movie, Shaun Of The Dead I enjoyed as well.
    Now as for 28 Weeks Later... meh, they should have left it alone, same with Aliens 3 and 4... meh and meh again.
    Just my opinion.

As for Zombie Apocalypse lights, I still want a wind up spring fed ribbon of magnesium light... that would be bright, especially with a nice hard chromed reflector. Plus you can light your Molatovs with it.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by eh4 View Post
    Agreed! Warrant Officer Ripley is an all around bad-ass woman, and an Apocalyptic cockroach like the Alien is a terrifying foe, especially if it ever made it planetside.
    I grew up with Alien and Aliens, the Walking Dead barely elicit any increased pulse rate, I could nap through it mostly aside from the gross out factor.
    28 Days Later, now that's a pretty damn good zombie movie, Shaun Of The Dead I enjoyed as well.
    Now as for 28 Weeks Later... meh, they should have left it alone, same with Aliens 3 and 4... meh and meh again.
    Just my opinion.

As for Zombie Apocalypse lights, I still want a wind up spring fed ribbon of magnesium light... that would be bright, especially with a nice hard chromed reflector. Plus you can light your Molatovs with it.
    Zombie movies arent shocking anymore, no more adreline rise, but i still enjoy it
    They blow.

It looks all Franken-light now because it is (prototype) But I built me a self contained solar powered Joule Thief Zombie Light...

I'm going to detail the build over in my JT thread, but it's self contained and the solar panel both charges the light and acts as a photo resistor (light goes on at dark). I plan on making the final charging connection into the light a USB port so I can easily deploy the solar panel where I need to.

It's basically a garden light circuit with a traditional JT powering the LED.. and if you Google "evil mad scientist solar" you'll see where I got the circuit and parts list from.. This circuit is cool because there's even a 1N914 diode that prevent bleed back to the solar panel!! That means it's super easy to take a part of this circuit and build a AA trickle charger, total cost way less than 10 bucks for everything!!
    Last edited by Darvis; 03-02-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Absolutely awesome!

Thanks guys, it was super easy to build and I'm definitely going to show how I did it in the homemade section.

Run4jc- I know you're tinkering with building JTs yourself, this charging part is literally just an add on circuit to the JT- it's four more parts: The solar panel, the 914 diode, another transistor (a 3906) and resistor (EMS calls for a 5k, but used a 1K) The four parts cost less than 3 bucks!!!

Wait until you see my circuit board, it's a hack!! I'm almost embarrassed to show it it's so poorly done... just a by-product of being a rote amateur solder dude; but goes to show that free lumens and long running zombie lights can be easily attained.

Cool. I've had busy times and haven't built anything yet, but hopefully this weekend! Always need more jt zombie lights!

Quote Originally Posted by Darvis View Post
    It looks all Franken-light now because it is (prototype) But I built me a self contained solar powered Joule Thief Zombie Light...

I'm going to detail the build over in my JT thread, but it's self contained and the solar panel both charges the light and acts as a photo resistor (light goes on at dark). I plan on making the final charging connection into the light a USB port so I can easily deploy the solar panel where I need to.

It's basically a garden light circuit with a traditional JT powering the LED.. and if you Google "evil mad scientist solar" you'll see where I got the circuit and parts list from.. This circuit is cool because there's even a 1N914 diode that prevent bleed back to the solar panel!! That means it's super easy to take a part of this circuit and build a AA trickle charger, total cost way less than 10 bucks for everything!!
    Awesome! Saved to the future project folder!

Paklite 552 hours and chugging happily along No drop in output since the little blip previously mentioned. 600 in our sights!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast