Gruesome Walking Dead Zombie Merge Horror. Which flashlight would you EDC?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been many threads posted through the years about "Zombie lights" or "SHTF" lights. I thought about just jumping into one of those threads, but Scout24 and I wanted this thread to be a little bit different – and simple. And many of the previous threads asked what "One Light" would you want if the SHTF? Why only one!!? I want as many as I can have!

Topics such as this can evoke strong opinions and thus strong responses, so we respectfully ask that you please keep your comments on topic – there's so much wisdom and experience on this forum that we can all benefit from. We'd hate to see a few rogue comments or troll posts have the thread shut down.

But no problems are expected! There – now that the disclaimers are out of the way, here we go.

With a very satisfying collection of McGizmos at hand, most of my recent light purchases have been focused on acquiring tools that are:

• Bomb proof
  • Long run times
  • Interchangeable parts
  • Simple
  • Flexible battery configurations

Thus, the following collection has come about – with a couple more lights to go yet. Please do what I have done below so we can all benefit from your ideas – show your photos of your SHTF lights with descriptions and the reasons you acquired them!

Elzetta 3 cell host with Malkoff M60 and hi/lo strobe, running on 3 primaries
Why? Great, rugged weapon light, incredible run time (2 cell ran for 130 minutes on high then another 28 hours on low – imagine how long the 3 cell will run).
IMG_6357.JPG

IMG_6360.JPG

Malkoff light engines: M60F, M60NF, M61, M61NLL, M31LL , M60

Why? (Really?) AWESOME quality, bombproof, amazing run times, and incredible flexibility within the hosts you'll see following. If the crap is hitting the fan, I want a Malkoff or a McGizmo with me!
IMG_6338.JPG

2 Elzetta hosts – both 2 cell with high/low clicky tail caps. Why? BOMBPROOF! And I can use any of the aforementioned Malkoffs in them. But if an EMP event took out my LEDs (I keep back ups in a grounded safe and in a Faraday cage, and yes, I do have my tin foil hat at the ready), I could always drop one of my dozen or so Surefire P60 or P90 incans in.
IMG_6340.JPG

IMG_6341.JPG

FM SS 18650 body with Malkoff VME head (with extra McClicky and boot)
This one gives me a simple, flexible set up. 1 18650, 1 17670, 2 18350s, 2 IMR 16340s, 2 RCR 123s, or 2 primaries, driving one of the Malkoffs. Awesome.
IMG_6347.JPG

Malkoff / VME Lil Twisty
This one houses primarily the Malkoff M31LL. Talk about simple. Twist on, twist off. Single primary. Perfect 60 or so lumen beam. Incredible run time. This one lives in my safe (which is grounded and I think, "hardened.")
IMG_6343.JPG

Fenix E01
I have a dozen or so of these (I think.) I don't need to extoll the virtues of this little light, but am happy to confirm them. I have 8 unopened ones in my faraday cage. All the virtues that we all know and love, plus in my mind, potentially a great barter item. I pray that we never need to find out whether or not that is true. Simple, available AAA batteries run forever!
IMG_6354.JPG

ThruNite ti Firefly
Although I don't know if they are as robust as the E01, they are definitely strong little lights with the added benefit of the "Firefly" mode. In this mode, they run forever! I have around a dozen of these, too. 1 AAA and you have light for a long time – as high as 60 lumen or as low as .04 lumen.
IMG_6355.JPG

Surefire G2 Nitrolon. Sits in my nightstand with primaries in it. Figure it'll work no matter what regardless of how long it sits unused. (At least 10 years.) It'll help me find my stuff in the cage and safe should the power go out and any exposed LEDs don't work any more.
IMG_6350.JPG

Custom 'Candle'…runs on 1 AA FOREVER!
IMG_6346.JPG

IMG_6344.JPG

Zebralight SC80
Flexibility in that it will run on 1 AA form or 1 123 form battery, with a simple internal adapter.
IMG_6352.JPG

McGizmo Haiku with 2 AA body. Absolutely awesome performance from my favorite light engine, and the 2 AA body will work with the VME heads and various Malkoff drop ins using multiple battery configurations – Alkaline, Eneloop, 14500.
IMG_6353.JPG

McGizmo Haiku with 1x123 body. Gotta have it. Rock solid McGizmo reliability, perfect beam, 3 nice levels in a pocket-sized light.
IMG_6351.JPG

McGizmo 6V Makai on 2x123 body. This gives me a thrower with an extra 2x123 body that can also drive the various Malkoff/VME modules.
IMG_6349.JPG

VME head and either 1x123, 2x123, or 3x123 VG body. 1, 2 or 3 123s…or 2 AAs in Alkaline, eneloop or IMR. Or 2 17500s.
IMG_6342.JPG

WHAT?? ONLY 1 SUREFIRE AND NO HDS?! Hey, I love those lights and would like to possibly add an HDS to the collection, but for regulated output the McGizmos serve my purpose! As for Surefire, they are great, but I'm good with the Elzettas – plus you didn't see all the P60 and P90 engines I have stored away that will work just fine in these Elzetta hosts!

So let's see what you have! And tell us the story behind them! Up next will be Scout's collection!

scout24

Flashaholic
Re: A new twist - show us your zombie lights collection and explain why you chose the

Reserved, I'll get right back to you... :)

I'm trying, I promise... VERY under the weather today, I'll start small and add pics as I feel better... I completely agree with a plan based on overlap and redundancy, with a few for specific tasks. "Rule of Threes", and all. I've tried to lean towards lights with availability of Lithium primary cells in the interest of long-term storage. Eneloop or RCR capability is a plus, but not a deal breaker. This allows me to slowly stock up on cells without a huge outlay of cash at one time, and add to the stock as I'm able. I've got a small solar Eneloop charger for my AAA and AA cells, and a Cottonpicker solar charger for my Li-ion RCR's.

Photon Freedom Micro, covert nose, NV Green: I credit Sub Umbra's threads on the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina for the push I needed to include a few of these in my kit. Lightweight for mouth holding, covert nose allows you to direct your lumens right where you want them. Lithium 2016's and 2032's are cheap in bulk, and have great storage life. Thanks, Sub! :bow: Well worth the time to search and read Sub's threads... Three on left running 2x2016's, dimmer one on right running 1x2032 for extended runtime, with a slight shift in tint.

P1020015.jpg

Fenix EO1's: I've beat the absolute heck out of the one I currently carry on my keys without failure, including the latest indignity of running it over with a 46,000lb water tanker at work. Three times. Cockroaches and EO1's will survive. Eneloop, alkaline, Energizer Lithium compatible, awesome battery vampire, and stone simple. Twist head, make light. I've got a couple more than a few... This pic does not include the ones in cars and on keyrings. In picture is my beloved Peak Matterhorn, and Mako Warm. All of these run forever on 1xAAA, I wish I'd bought more mattys when I could have.

P1020016.jpg

CMG Infinities: The AA predecessor to the EO1. Just as simple, digests Eneloops, alkalines, Energizer Lithium primaries, Reliable, solid, not much to go wrong. Nice AA vampire, can squeeze the last Mah out of a cell. Go ahead and try to break the tail lug, I dare you...

P1020020.jpg

Milky Candle: I've got one, and wouldn't mind another. Maybe Scott needs to do a Sprint Run of these? :) Nice area light that has multiple levels, crazy long runtime, and runs on various cell configurations. Go through a multi-day outage with one and you'll be a believer.

P1020021.jpg

The next few all tie together, please bear with me...

Malkoff dropin modules: Pick your tint, beam shape, input voltage, and output. All are overbuilt, solid as a bank vault, have great beams, and can be used in a variety of lights. Got a beater 6P or G2 laying around? VME-E series head? Battery vampires, awesome runtime, what's not to love? M60, M61LL, M31L, M61WLL here, with an M60NF on the way, along one that will be named later... :) Run great underdriven to lower output or stretch your battery supply as well...

VME heads: Pick your poison, Ti or aluminum. Fit on an ungodly assortment of bodies, and run the above Malkoff modules. With a Malkoff, and a VME head, uou're bound to have something it'll fit on. Nicely machined, aluminum not expensive IMHO, and allows another level of E-series versatility.

Valiant Concepts twisty bodies, and Malkoff Little Twisties: I've got a single 123, and a AA. Both eliminate a possible weak point, my beloved clicky switch. What's left to break? Not much...

P1020022.jpg

P1020023.jpg

This last pic includes my oddball 2x123 E body. KX1 head on left is built to run on 1xAA, with spacer and sleeve shown on right. That body hosts a VME head nicely as well, still fits 2x123, (Duh... :) ) and runs my M31L at reduced output on that Eneloop. The sweet part is that tailcap- Milky, I believe, modded it to a two-stage clicky (22 ohm) which gives hi/lo with either KX1 or M31/ VME combo. Twist to turn off/on, click back and forth between high and low.

P1020024.jpg

Elzetta: I picked up a 2x123 after reading the "Best Kept Secret" thread, and a little prodding. Watch the videos on the Elzetta website, you'll be a believer. Awesome with your choice of Malkoff drop-in if you don't like the stock choices. I put an M61 in mine. Even works as a P60 host? Cool! More versatility...

SF G2: 65 incan lumens, a wide array of dropins that won't melt it (See Malkoffs, above.) Super reliable twist tailcap, McClicky available aftermarket, one on my bookshelf with primaries. Go-to Tinfoil Hat light... :)

SF E-series lights and bodies: I love the form factor and variety of options. With a bit of searching, you could probably put together just about anything you can think of. VME heads and Malkoff dropins, above, just add to the possibilities. I probably own more E compatible parts than anything else.

Last edited:

egrep

Enlightened
Re: A new twist - show us your zombie lights collection and explain why you chose the

Subscribed
:popcorn:
Thanks

This thread is going to cost me money. That's good. I need to beef up my practical lighting options. An Elzetta Or two for my ARs and some Malkoff drop ins may be good next steps.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened

What's the custom candle? Never heard of that before. :candle:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Tough to do better than a dedicated SureFire weapon-light on a good rifle. Too many to name. But an LED model would be best.

Personally, my Milky-modded SureFire L1 "extreme." Only requires one cell. Capable of using rechargeable IMR 16340 cell. Optimized for one CR123 primary. 40 lumens on low. Around 200 on high. High mode can instantly be accessed if needed.

Another one would be my SureFire 6P with Malkoff M60W MC-E Warm LED drop-in. Tons of flood! Like carrying a mini area-light with you. Useful for checking a wide outdoor area for potential zombies, or for seeing just how many there are.

Can't leave out my Maratac AAA model. On high, it puts out 80 lumens. Only requires one AAA cell. Plus, in an extended zombie situation, you pair it up with several rechargeable AAA cells + a AAA solar charger; and you have a light for long-term zombie survival.

For some of the above reasons, the Fenix LD05 penlight as well. It's tough as nails. Features Med./Low/High mode instead of always coming on in Low Mode first. Can be pressed into service as a main light if needed. Runs on 2AAA cells. Once again, combined with rechargeable AAAs and a solar charger . . . You're good to go for the long haul.

Main issue is, finding batteries. Finding primary CR123 cells will especially be an issue. Otherwise, I'd include my SF M6, Custom Leef-bodied M4, and Fenix TK35. Output very impressive on all of those. But even a serious flashaholic will burn through their private stockpile of CR123s in short order.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the custom candle? Never heard of that before. :candle:

Well, a friend of mine quietly puts them together - almost anonymously. It's a nice neutral led driven by a single aa. Hopefully he'll see the thread and speak up!!
It's awesome, though. Just enough light to ceiling bounce and light a room just enough. Runs forever!

Great posts folks! Lets keep 'em coming and show your pics!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd like to hear more about the custom candle, I'd like to hear about where to get a neutral white 5 mm led for that matter too.

As for zombie lights, I've got nothing impressive to share at the moment but just want to say "Show me your recharging infrastructure!"

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to hear more about the custom candle, I'd like to hear about where to get a neutral white 5 mm led for that matter too.

As for zombie lights, I've got nothing impressive to share at the moment but just want to say "Show me your recharging infrastructure!"

I'm reaching out to the candle manufacturer. (actually, visit this thread)
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/311118

And as a follow up, the 'candle' is actually an adaptation of the "joule thief", a little DIY project that has been around for a long time. Here's a link to one of the cooler and more recent versions.

• As for charging, Cottonpickers chargers for li-ion and eneloops with a small solar panel -
  • Optima DM27 blue top marine battery and a 400 watt inverter with ac receptacles as well as USB.
  • A Sunforce 15 watt solar panel charging kit to keep the Optima topped off.
  • A 2000 watt Honda generator to use for short-term power outages.

More alkaline and rechargeable batteries than I care to admit to...

Although we can always have more, I'm in good shape for charging flashlight batteries - as well as a few other things.

But this is a zombie light thread, so let's now gently steer it back in that direction....and let's see those photos!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is it possible to buy one of the AA custom candle from your friend? Been looking for something like that for awhile.

Roger999

Enlightened

The good ole Propane torch + flamable aerosol can :D.

Z-Tab

Enlightened

I think you've gotta have a variety of colored lights for the zombie apocalypse. If there's a wavelength that you can see, but they can't, then you've got a serious advantage.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

One thing is for sure you're going to need a high CRI light to tell the living from the dead. ;-)
They all look dead in cool white or angry blue.

scout24

Flashaholic

My solar charging setups... Sunlinq roll up 6.5w panel, Cottonpickers panel and USB chargers, a 12v to USB plug, and a Powerfilm NiMH rollup panel for my AA and AAA's with magnet spacers...

P1020004.jpg

P1020005.jpg

P1020007.jpg

Thid does not include my 15w hard panel, deep cycle 12v's, inverters, etc... :)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Scout... how do you like the Sunlinq vs the Powerfilm?

I'm AA based and have been testing that same Powerfilm (2.2 watt) against the Goal Zero Nomad 7 (7 watt) w/Guide 10 plus AA charger.... I'm shocked the Powerfilm simple crushes the GZ in charging Eneloops, not to mention being about 1/3 the size and weight of the GZ. This is tested via Maha C9000 discharge function.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

duplicate.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Inova X5 white
Inova X5 red

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

post deleted -- new post updated w/ pics

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic

Reppans- I'm glad to hear of your findings with the Powerfilm charger, I've been more than happy with it so far. I have seen the Goalzero. But have no experience with it. Powerfilm was purchased based on the fact that it folds up nicely and will charge two or four at a time. Keeps my lights as well as my SW receiver in business... C'mon, folks! We need pictures!

Darvis

Enlightened

Whew, I love these threads, but they always make me feel guilty about the reams of equipment I've collected for just such Zombie laden emergencies... it would take me weeks to unpack, organize and photograph- just the flashlights!!!

Anyways, I won't bother to repeat some of the stuff above. Like most with "kits" I have a lot of the same time proven goodie like the E01 (many), Various Peaks, SS Preon Revos. On top of that, there are the knives, batteries, Ham radios, etc...

Anyway, first up are a pair of my favorites: Oveready component, Malkoff M31LLs running Eneloops. Notice the twisty switch on the right. I have long learned that the most needed and prized lights had better be non-whiz bang, single mode twistys. For me, that's Malkoff and either the Surefire twisty with an upgraded silver spring, or the Oveready Zero res...

Why I chose them? They always work, run foreever, I can recharge the batteries with solar, and can run with AA's, or 123s with spacers.

2dgwbw9.jpg

Next up... More Malkoffs. I stocked up when Gene had a fire sale on M60LL's. All running primaries, all with twistys in G2s, Aluminum Bezels. 2 Each in a kit already loaded with batteries and a spare pair for each. I have 3 such kits (one not shown). One of them in this picture is the odd man out, an M61LL which, oddly enough, I don't like as much as the M60LL version.. but hey, it runs forever too! These are some of the 20 or so Malkoffs I have ready for my extended family.

Why? They never fail... runtime is insane... Simple UI.

15mn51w.jpg

Next we have the E and L series kit. Many things inside of it that are not unpacked, such as the E01s and Peak Eigers.. you can also see an L1 in there, a SS Peak CR123 twisty, A glo-tube lithium (white). There are replacement clickies, bodies and a set of Surefire F series filters... And yes, I have a few E series twisty switches as well...

Why the E and L series? Great throw, runtime, have proven to be extremely reliable.. compact.. the list goes on.

2urmdyb.jpg

The obligatory 2xAA McGizmo tube. It can run the M3X series lights, the Surefire E1L and B heads, and any of my Mules, etc. (That's why). Next to him is one of my prized E1L heads that came loose from the factory, so I was able to get some of Phaserburn's diffuser film in it for that permanent smooth beam.

2upcn12.jpg

Solar!! Can charge anything.. Ham radios, batteries, whatever... fold-able, roll-able... Awesome.

2lwq5g9.jpg

Custom Candle? Check. :)

nxq450.jpg

And yet to come, I promise, a glamor shot of my most prized pair of lights... Just have to dig them out of one of my bags.

EDIT: Found them... A Milky Floodmaster on the right and his red-faced brother on the left....

Why? A finer pair of lights I have never laid eyes on... And they work as good as they look to boot.

30rqxk4.jpg

D

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome, Darvis!! Awesome! :bow:

Although I did not originally suggest photos of the various charging infrastructures, since eh4 asked about it I appreciate Scout24 and Darvis showing their stuff. I'll try to add some photos of my stuff, too - and everyone feel free to do so! We have to keep the main focus on our lights (to keep it on track), but lights need power....

Great job! Loving the Floodmasters...