ArmyTek
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Gruesome Walking Dead Zombie Merge Horror. Which flashlight would you EDC?

Default Re: A new twist - show us your zombie lights collection and explain why you chose the

Replaced really bad pics with some almost as bad, and a bump! We need more pics, folks!!!

Default Re: A new twist - show us your zombie lights collection and explain why you chose the

Duplicate, Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    I'm reaching out to the candle manufacturer. (actually, visit this thread)
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=311118
    I'm fessing up as the candle manufacturer (actually, just the DIY info guy) for the benefit of those who have pinged me recently about the build and others that may be interested.

The thread link above will tell you all you need to know about the build, it truly is a DIY project that I encourage you all to try.. it's cheap and fun to boot.

No, I will not build one for anyone at any price, I simply do not have the time between work and family. I will, however, give anyone any info or answer any questions about parts, the build, etc. Please feel free to PM me if you have questions, but the thread above does a pretty good job of showing you the basics. Others have added GREAT ideas for magnetic battery leads, circuits, etc. Please feel free to add any ideas or information as you see fit.. please!!!

The Neutral LEDs were sourced from Super Bright Leds, they have proven to be great little 5mm guys. I have their neutral and warm versions, the warm ones are super warm though, around 3000k. They are the most "candle Like" The best part is that neither of them are the slightest bit angry blue

If you really want the best candle money can buy, reach out to Milky. My DIY Joule Thief? Yugo... Milky Candle? Ferrari...

Once the walking dead come, and you have no light with you because you needed a Zagnut and figured you could get to the nearest QT and back before the Mayan Calendar hit gold, so you left WITHOUT your man purse.. well, you'd better get all McGuyver before you get eaten.

NOW GO KILL SOME ZOMBIES!!!

And just to keep this all on topic, another favorite Zombie light. My glo-powder modified Peak Eiger sub-zero:

Last edited by Darvis; 02-01-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Well, I guess I inadvertently 'outed' Darvis as the builder of my cool joule candle. And as he says, the Milky candle is definitely the pinnacle of this concept.

I'm lazy when it comes to gathering parts. Take a magnet from a CFL bulb? Nah. Google where I can buy full kits? YES! I don't believe that we are supposed to link to outside suppliers, but if you Google "Mad Scientist Hut", then search on his site you'll find that he has many different parts and full kits for the 'innards' of the joule thief. After that, it's left to your own imagination how you put it together.

I'm thinking of taking an old amber colored plastic pill bottle and putting everything inside, installing a switch on the outside. Then when 'on' it'll offer up a "glow"....hmmm

Anyway, many thanks to Daryl for his offer of assistance. He personifies the spirit of the best of this forum! And this little light is truly appropriate for a 'zombie light' thread - heck, it's a vampire light - it'll suck the very last joule from your batteries.

Okay - some updates to the stash. Yesterday I picked up a sweet Glock 22...and today I received one of Gene's sweet MD2 Turnkey Packages with the hi/lo ring and an M61....I'll say no more, but let the photos speak for themselves. Well, I will say that this is a comforting addition to the collection!

(Glock22 - are you out there?)

When it hits the fan, and you need 'stuff', this stuff will get the job done!!

Can't believe I already got dust on the bezel!!

Bring it....
    Last edited by run4jc; 02-12-2012 at 07:35 AM.

I may have another addition... Just started a low level runtime test on a Pak-lite 9v. High, low, glow in the dark version. March 2015 USA made Duracell that came out of the box attached to the light. I'm trying to navigate a new Asusa tablet to get cell pics to my e-mail to my posts, please be patient.. Seems worthy based on specs, quoted 600 hours on low on an alkaline 9v. We shall see... Ceiling bounce on low in my bedroom is plenty to navigate. 6pm EST, 9 Feb...

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    I may have another addition... Just started a low level runtime test on a Pak-lite 9v. High, low, glow in the dark version. March 2015 USA made Duracell that came out of the box attached to the light. I'm trying to navigate a new Asusa tablet to get cell pics to my e-mail to my posts, please be patient.. Seems worthy based on specs, quoted 600 hours on low on an alkaline 9v. We shall see... Ceiling bounce on low in my bedroom is plenty to navigate. 6pm EST, 9 Feb...

I know the Pak-lite is a winner by reputation, still haven't gotten around to getting one yet but I'd like a couple of them.
    Another fun bit you could share with us would be to measure and weigh the light itself sans battery, I guesstimated maybe 7-8 (edit: ok that's the weight of a Photon II, so maybe 14g or so)
    -and about the size of four sugar cubes... if it's anywhere close to that small it would make plenty of sense to carry one even without bothering to carry the 9 volt, just pick them up as you need them.
    Last edited by eh4; 02-10-2012 at 07:59 AM.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

I'll try to get ahold of a scale before the runtime on low is over. No suprise, but 96 hours and counting with no drop in output.

Awesome thread, I hope it ends up huge

Hopefully I will learn a lot in here as I'm trying to get some similar kit together myself for when SHTF
    Four surefires and counting, this could be expensive

For my hand: 6P with M61LL. I also have an A19 extender and dummy CR123, so I can run one, two, or three primaries, or 2xAA in a pinch. This will let me have a long running low level light that will suffice for most tasks and versatility of multiple battery configurations. I also keep a SC1 spares carrier with a P60 incan for backup.

For my gun: 6P with M61 for brightness (aids in target ID) and durability

Chris

Flashaholic*

Just a couple:

SF C2 with M61W
    SF G2z with M61L HCRI

Maratac AAA (SS and Cu)

Nitecore Ti
    Fenix LD01

Don't know if a roundy 6P with McClicky and NailBender drop qualifies, but it's the one most likely to be nearby - I keep it in my jacket wherever I go.

Quote Originally Posted by cland72 View Post
    For my hand: 6P with M61LL. I also have an A19 extender and dummy CR123, so I can run one, two, or three primaries, or 2xAA in a pinch. This will let me have a long running low level light that will suffice for most tasks and versatility of multiple battery configurations. I also keep a SC1 spares carrier with a P60 incan for backup.

For my gun: 6P with M61 for brightness (aids in target ID) and durability
    Quote Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
    Just a couple:

SF C2 with M61W
    SF G2z with M61L HCRI
    Nitecore Ti
    Fenix LD01
    Don't know if a roundy 6P with McClicky and NailBender drop qualifies, but it's the one most likely to be nearby - I keep it in my jacket wherever I go.
    Great stuff, Guys. Thanks for sharing!

Default The Walking Dead tribute. Which flashlight would you EDC?

In light of the The Walking Dead returning from the mid season finally and brighting up my sunday nights, which light you would EDC if you were living though there eye's in the zombie apocalypse?

I'm going with surefire 9P and malkoff M61llw. The switch is pretty well fail safe. Lithiums cr123's have a long life and possible scavanged and I've tested the runtime with 2 AA's out to 14 hours with plenty of life. What do you choose?
    Elzetta M60 | Fenix E01 E05 | Surefire 6P C2 E2E E2L-AA | Malkoff: M61-219 M61HCRI M61 Malkoff 3D Maglite
    Certified Malkoff Junkie....

Default Re: The Walking Dead tribute. Which flashlight would you EDC?

My Quark AA and Zebralight H51w. The moonlight modes have enough light for me do most things that I need to, will retain my night vision so I can see and shoot the Zombs, good for around 300~400 hours from 1xAA, and they have the lowest chance of giving up my position.

FiveMega 2 "C" host, with a M31HCRI module. I run it off of 4000mah tenergy centura LSD C cells. I don't know the runtime, but I know it runs for a loooooong time!
    Also, I can run it off of primaries in a pinch, which I could find anywhere!

Runner-ups...

My TK45, TK41, LD25, LD40, HDS 170T, or HDS 120HCRI clicky (which I do not actually have yet.)
    Last edited by brandocommando; 02-15-2012 at 09:17 PM.

MY Peak Logan (SS) 17500 and multi cell adapter kit which allows use of AAA/10440, AA/14500/, CR123/16340 would be a good EDC, but I'd need a big honking light to bash some zombie brains in too.

Love that series on Netflix. My Zabralight inexplicably died so Zebra is out for me. Going to go with the Jetbeam Jet 1 Pro V 3 only because I don't know how if the new X-ML version gets hot. My reasoning is its small bright and if the grid goes down there will be plenty of AA's to collect from stores and TV remotes.
    I'm a Lumenaut, on a bold quest of discovery. To find the smallest, toughest, eyeball searing-est torch that modern science can create!

Quote Originally Posted by sassaquin View Post
    MY Peak Logan (SS) 17500 and multi cell adapter kit which allows use of AAA/10440, AA/14500/, CR123/16340 would be a good EDC, but I'd need a big honking light to bash some zombie brains in too.
    TK70?

I'd go with the Gerber Omnivore, Jetbeam RRT0 with AA extender and Zebralight sc80.
    The three multi fuel lights that I can think of. The Gerber and Jetbeam are already ordered.
    Haven't bought the sc80 yet, hopefully the zombie Apocalipse holds off for awhile
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

Quote Originally Posted by brandocommando View Post
    TK70?
    Yes, my perfect zombie wacking light - 16 inches, 27 ounces (plus 4 D cells) and 2200 lumens.
    Who am I kidding, I'd be Walker granola the first day.

Flashaholic

Novatac SPL-120 & County Comm Red SO-LED

Something XM-L floody on an incendiary shotgun:

Quote Originally Posted by CarpentryHero View Post
    I'd go with the Gerber Omnivore, Jetbeam RRT0 with AA extender and Zebralight sc80.
    The three multi fuel lights that I can think of. The Gerber and Jetbeam are already ordered.
    Haven't bought the sc80 yet, hopefully the zombie Apocalipse holds off for awhile
    +1
    Will go with the RRT-0...AA/CR123 compatible and i am sure i can salvage AA a lot easier than CR123 anywhere. Might not dish out 1k lumen, but i am sure i can hear them go *grrr* before i could see them...

Ok, where do we get those shells?
    I'm a Lumenaut, on a bold quest of discovery. To find the smallest, toughest, eyeball searing-est torch that modern science can create!

Flashaholic*

-6D Maglite with Terralux drop-in to use as an impact weapon.
    -Infinity Ultra G - long lasting, single AA powered, low output so as not to attract the walkers
    -some sort of Surefire weapon light attached to a silenced Ruger 10/22 for dispatching the zombies
    Ha ha, you fool!! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia; and only slightly less well known is this: Never go against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!

EDC? I plan on being one of the zombies! Brains are delicious!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by BIG45-70 View Post
    In light of the The Walking Dead returning from the mid season finally and brighting up my sunday nights, which light you would EDC if you were living though there eye's in the zombie apocalypse?

I'm going with surefire 9P and malkoff M61llw. The switch is pretty well fail safe. Lithiums cr123's have a long life and possible scavanged and I've tested the runtime with 2 AA's out to 14 hours with plenty of life. What do you choose?
    I think the SF 9P/Malkoff M61WLL pairing is dead-on That combo would be reliable and have plenty of output in a world without electricity.There is an argument to be made though for a 5 or 6 D Mag with an LED drop-in though..........

In the zombie apocalypse a light with moonlight mode would be critical...wouldn't want to draw attention to yourself. My first choice for an EDC light would be my Quark AA (with the XM-L head) which has a great moonlight mode (no pre-flash with this new head.) The AA battery is very common, and the Quark AA can use a NiMH, 14500 Li-ion, lithium primary, or a AA alkaline. I'd want a few of my other quarks, so I could change battery types and have spare parts. Quarks are interchangeable with each other, so I'd bring my Quark 123, Quark AA2, and an 18650 body plus batteries of all types, charger, & solar panel.

I'd also want my Zebralight H51 & H501w for hands-free use.

I'd prolly want one of my bigger lights to be used as a search light or a gun light mounted on my Kel-Tec SU-16c. Maybe the Olight M21X....pictured below.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Something XM-L floody on an incendiary shotgun:

what in the world is an incendiary shotgun!?!?!? I assume it's just the shells and where can I get them? Very cool for zombie control.