Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fenix HL30

Default Fenix HL30

Found some pictures of the Fenix HL30. Looks interesting. Im looking forward to when it comes out.
    Last edited by arizona1; 02-16-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Default Re: Fenix HL30

Weight 86g. without batteries, spec. two AA batteries, TIR optics. Аnnouncement soon.

I remember a 2XAA fenix headlamp that never came out. I really wanted it so maybe this one will fit the bill but like the first I am not getting my hopes up until it is for sale.

Those red one,Is that laser thing?

No, that 4mm red LED.

Last edited by a_b; 02-24-2012 at 11:58 AM.

They have a 4 cell AA battery headlamp. How does the new compares to the old?

You mean 5mm red Led
    Zebralight Spark Princeton Inova Petzl Maglite Bushnell 4 XM-L MagMod and a lot of Cree XM-L Lights Nitecore i4 Intellicharger Intl-outdoor 3400 Panasonic 3100 Bare and protected Samsung 3000 Sanyo 2600
    Please, respect the planet, dont kill animals...

Looks like poorly built POS, probably will cost around 40$ while be worth 10$ in real life.
    Just look at those pictures from the other site, it looks cheap and the person, who made those pictures complains regarding battery cover, pivot mechanism.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by a_b View Post
    not durable plastic construction. Why Fenix now produce these cheap (but with high price) models ? Fenix make a good for other companies, who makes Headlamps.

Waiting for Fenix to understand the utility of a flood light. They seem stuck on spot headlamps.

del post pls.....
    Last edited by Dface; 03-01-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Rolleye11 Re: Fenix HL30

Thank you very interesting review, it is a pity that in Russian
    Interesting flashlight. We wait for production models, and full review!
    I hope that soon there will be in English!

p.s. they have found about the Fenix ​​RC10
    Last edited by Dface; 03-10-2012 at 01:00 AM.

is it just me or does the beam actually look pretty uniform in those pics?

Hard to say for sure, they're got the beam aimed in a really unhelpful angle... looks like it's half on the corner of the wall, and half projecting down the hallway, making it virtually impossible to get a good idea of what the beam profile is like.

I also agree with Bolster on his comment about Fenix and their obsession with throwy headlamps... don't they get that most people use a flood beam for a headlamp rather than a spot beam?
    What? Me? Derail a thread?

I'd rather have a spot headlamp with a good diffuser for flood.

Quote Originally Posted by Freely View Post
    I'd rather have a spot headlamp with a good diffuser for flood.
    you know me too i guess. but i also wish headlamp makers would figure out that for the average user, even though spot and flood are both needed, flood is what is needed more often and spot is only used sporadically. most headlamps that are available now sort of have flood as an afterthought. these guys need to spend more time working on the diffusers and making the flood beam fit to be the primary beam option.

If I need a light with throw, that's what my EDC light or other pocket light is for.

Quote Originally Posted by B0wz3r View Post
    Hard to say for sure, they're got the beam aimed in a really unhelpful angle... looks like it's half on the corner of the wall, and half projecting down the hallway, making it virtually impossible to get a good idea of what the beam profile is like.

I also agree with Bolster on his comment about Fenix and their obsession with throwy headlamps... don't they get that most people use a flood beam for a headlamp rather than a spot beam?
    I rather like the throw of a fenix headlamp as it is unlike my other headlamps. Works great for those blue/white blazes at distance. For in camp give me a ZL any day.

If I need a light with throw, that's what my EDC light or other pocket light is for.
    yeah i guess, but it does get kind of tiring having to reach down to my pack to unclip or unholster my handheld light every single time i need a spot beam. it's just so much easier if i can just flick a button on my headlamp for that. plus when i'm backpacking, i really don't want to carry any extra weight. i just want my headlamp, a fauxton for backup and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by robostudent5000 View Post
    yeah i guess, but it does get kind of tiring having to reach down to my pack to unclip or unholster my handheld light every single time i need a spot beam. it's just so much easier if i can just flick a button on my headlamp for that. plus when i'm backpacking, i really don't want to carry any extra weight. i just want my headlamp, a fauxton for backup and that's it.
    Ah... someone who's never been in the middle of nowhere and had his headlamp fail! For backpacking trips I always carry two headlamps and two handheld lights. Lights like ZL's are small and light enough now days that I don't consider it an issue. I'd much rather carry another 4 oz. for two more lights and not need them, than need them and not have them because I was being a weight weenie... (nothing personal intended there Robo... )

About 20 years ago I was on a backpacking trip in the Wind River mountains in Wyoming with my girlfriend and a few other friends. We had base camped at a lake at about 9,000 ft. The crappy Princeton Tec headlamp I had at the time crapped out and I didn't have a backup, and we were about a three day hike from anywhere. That truly sucked a$$. I'll never make that mistake again.

Things like this make me want a headlamp with one driver running two light engines: Throwy optic OR floody optic. I am happy without both.
    It's so easy to do once we weigh in with opinions.
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

Ah... someone who's never been in the middle of nowhere and had his headlamp fail!
    you'd be wrong there. i have. i had a PT Pulsar with me then, a 6 lumen model. i was fine.

i don't know what you do at night on your backpacking trips but all i do is cook, eat, clean, take a deuce, gaze at some stars, and go to sleep. fauxton works just fine for all that.

you'd be wrong there. i have. i had a PT Pulsar with me then, a 6 lumen model. i was fine.

i don't know what you do at night on your backpacking trips but all i do is cook, eat, clean, take a deuce, gaze at some stars, and go to sleep. fauxton works just fine for all that.
    I'm quite fond of hiking at night actually...

I've hiked/backpacked overnight tons and probably 95% of the time all I had was an AA minimag literally since I was in elementary to last year lol! (I'm 33... not the exact same light though, I think I lost a few along the way). I guess my backup was my buddies light or whoever was with me. But in all that time I have never left the campsite once after dark, nor needed a backup. Nothing wrong with night hiking thats cool, I just like hiking during the day so I can enjoy the scenery. Night time is for the campfire, a hot drink and rest, for me. But even if you dont night hike an emergency could always arise forcing you to hike out in the middle of the night or something like that. Next time I go out I'll atleast have my ZL and shopping for a second light (or primary) now.

Quote Originally Posted by DIΩDΣ View Post
    I've hiked/backpacked overnight tons and probably 95% of the time all I had was an AA minimag literally since I was in elementary to last year lol! (I'm 33... not the exact same light though, I think I lost a few along the way). I guess my backup was my buddies light or whoever was with me. But in all that time I have never left the campsite once after dark, nor needed a backup.
    the spare bulb in the tailcap was your backup.

Flashaholic*

Light weight hiking for me would be two zebralights and a Thrunite TI around my neck (just in case)!

I've I'm using the plastic 3AAA kind of headlamps I would appreciate a decent shot and decent flood beam. Usually the spot beam isn't decent and I end up diffusing it and not having a real spot beam. I'd like an optic for the spot with diffused edges.

I hate hiking with a spot where there is that moving halo outer circle of light. An optic where the edges are diffused is much better and then either a sliding diffuser or a secondary flood beam is nice. No one does this well however.

I don't think the designers actually use the lights they design. The BD Storm is a good light but is an example of the designers not being outdoor people IMO.

I know many people subscribe to the hand held spot and headlamp flood school of though (and I do as well when weight isn't an issue) I find it annoying that a headlamp can't do it all when needed. I just got an older Petzl XP that does that to an extent except that it's just underpowered by todays standards.

I have two Zebralight H51's...one H51 and one H51f. I use the H51f all the time and diffused the H51 so there is little difference between the two. The H51 is no thrower with the small head and XP-G ...it's just annoying if it's not diffused.
    Last edited by gcbryan; 03-09-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Unenlightened

Weight 86g. without batteries, spec. two AA batteries, TIR optics. Аnnouncement soon.
    Definitively a cool looking headlight from Fenix.

I am buying this for sure! and prob in diferent colors for the family
    Fenix: E01 - E05 - E11 - E15 - E25 - MC10 - HL21 - HL30 - LD01 - LD10 R5 - LD12 R5 - LD20 R2 - LD22 - PD10 - PD20 Q5 - PD20 R5 - PD22 - PD30 Q5 - PD30 R2 - PD31 - PD32 - PD32 T6 - RC10 - TK11 R2 - TK12 - TK20 - TK21 - TK22 - TK30 - TK41 - TK70

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast