My Spark SD6 is pressing so much the battery

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
In some lights I leave the battery inside, this is what I find yesterday, with almost a month with the battery inside, was a LG 2600 unprotected. This is dangerous? Can the battery exploid???

be79ee8a-2faf-904d.jpg

SFMI4UT

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My SD light is pressing so much the battery

~

Yes ... I agree , that is not good !

Can you cut and remove some of the spring ?

What part is causing it to be so tight ? Are your cells too long ?

What cell size does that light call for in it's specs ?

~

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well... Something ago I post in the SD thread that some of mine 18650 like a gray and blue trustfire dosent fit, so, I start to use unprotected, in this case is a LG 2600mha. In this case I think that the size is not the problem, is the spring is so hard, and I leave the bezel lose, I dont know what can happen if I dont it... Anyway I think that this light cant handdle protected batteries without make a spring mod... Cut it like you say...

SFMI4UT

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

wow ive never seen any of my lights do that to a battery.
cant imagine what that would do to a protected 18650.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

~

I think I'd be contacting the maker of the light .... with questions .

~

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's just incredible. :eek:

It looks more like someone took a hammer and a punch to the battery. I can't imagine how a tailcap and spring could put the kind of pressure on battery lo leave such an indentation.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

~

What exact light did that ?

What did you mean when you said your " SD light " ?

~

Esko

Enlightened

This surely seems quite incredible. No flashlight spring is strong enough to do that, except maybe when fully compressed. But SD6 is made of very thin materials and the other spring in the other end is directly attached to the circuit board. Surely the light should break a lot easier.

When my SD6 was new, I also was able to compress one cell very lightly. But it was a pretty long Redilast 2900mAh, it was the notched positive end of the battery and I was using way more power I would have wanted to use. Later I felt happy that I didn't break the circuit board, and have been using some shorter cells in it.

Have you tested the cell? Could it be possible that it has vented and expanded slowly inside the light, and later compressed back to normal size? Does it have parasitic drain (not sure, but I believe someone complained about it in his/hers version somewhere)? Sounds pretty unlikely, but it is the only explanation I could think that is even remotely possible.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

~

~

I'm pretty sure Changchung is using an SD6 (based on other threads)...although I could be wrong.

Changchung, it would probably be a good idea to go back and add information about the specific headlamp to your first post so forum members will know which one. I think that would help this thread greatly.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

~

A Spark SD6-500CW

The two springs are strong... I have to add that the piece for the screw to attach the mag take some extra room inside...

Like I say before... Some owners of this light say that their use protected... I dont think so... I try two differents brands and the tailcap dosent close, and look what the light do to a unprotected that is small...

SFMI4UT

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
This surely seems quite incredible. No flashlight spring is strong enough to do that, except maybe when fully compressed. But SD6 is made of very thin materials and the other spring in the other end is directly attached to the circuit board. Surely the light should break a lot easier.

When my SD6 was new, I also was able to compress one cell very lightly. But it was a pretty long Redilast 2900mAh, it was the notched positive end of the battery and I was using way more power I would have wanted to use. Later I felt happy that I didn't break the circuit board, and have been using some shorter cells in it.

Have you tested the cell? Could it be possible that it has vented and expanded slowly inside the light, and later compressed back to normal size? Does it have parasitic drain (not sure, but I believe someone complained about it in his/hers version somewhere)? Sounds pretty unlikely, but it is the only explanation I could think that is even remotely possible.

Incredible but possible... I have no reason to lie about this...

The two spring in this light are strong, more than any of my others lights, zebralight inclued...

No parasitic reason because the tailcap was loose and the light storage in the original box...

I dont know if the battery vented and expanded slowly inside the light. If the batt do it how much expanded??? 3mm or more??? Like I say before... The tailcap was loose...

SFMI4UT

Esko

Enlightened
Incredible but possible... I have no reason to lie about this...

The two spring in this light are strong, more than any of my others lights, zebralight inclued...

Of course, I am not suggesting anything. The springs are strong but naturally nowhere near that strong. On the other hand, the adapter protrusion under the spring might of course cause that (and now that I took a second look, I can see the end of the spring "printed" in the middle of the damaged area).

I don't know how much a cell could expand without breaking. Probably not much. But that kind of damage requires quite a lot of brute force, and since you didn't apply it, I didn't have any other explanation how this could happen. I know I used rather much force when I tried my light with that Redilast 2900 cell and managed to screw the tailcap to the end. Even then it didn't do anything to the negative end of the battery. Neither to the light - it seems to be well built. Some of the longest protected cells were too long (at least when the light was first released), but most work fine. And even that Redilast cell worked in some other people lights. Factory tolerances, I guess (either the light, or the battery). Maybe you got a light that is out of those tolerances but managed to pass the QC. I believe Xyber will sort it out.

And yes, I wouldn't use that battery any more, or store without a protective bag in my house, either. Some quick tests like the remaining charge/voltage might be interesting though.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course, I am not suggesting anything. The springs are strong but naturally nowhere near that strong. On the other hand, the adapter protrusion under the spring might of course cause that (and now that I took a second look, I can see the end of the spring "printed" in the middle of the damaged area).

I don't know how much a cell could expand without breaking. Probably not much. But that kind of damage requires quite a lot of brute force, and since you didn't apply it, I didn't have any other explanation how this could happen. I know I used rather much force when I tried my light with that Redilast 2900 cell and managed to screw the tailcap to the end. Even then it didn't do anything to the negative end of the battery. Neither to the light - it seems to be well built. Some of the longest protected cells were too long (at least when the light was first released), but most work fine. And even that Redilast cell worked in some other people lights. Factory tolerances, I guess (either the light, or the battery). Maybe you got a light that is out of those tolerances but managed to pass the QC. I believe Xyber will sort it out.

And yes, I wouldn't use that battery any more, or store without a protective bag in my house, either. Some quick tests like the remaining charge/voltage might be interesting though.

The strange here is that this happen with the light storaged, with the tailcap loose and trust me, I never tight the tailcap looking that the battery dosent fit causing a possible damage of the light or the batt.

I just think that I receive a first batch of the light with no room enought to hold protected ones.

I have too say that I have no problems yet with the use of non protected batts, I have three lights that dosent fit protected so that is not a problem. But non of this do that to a bettery.

I have the battery in a safe place, let me test the voltage for you...

SFMI4UT

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

ChangChung ,

You may not know How , When or Who did it , but I would like to suggest the possibility that your SD6 got Dropped or stopped quickly with that cell inside it .

I don't see how that could happen with the cell inside the light , just sitting in the box . That could only happen if the light came to a sudden stop at rapid decelleration , causing the spring to fully collapse under the weight of the battery. Then the stationary internal parts would dent the neg. end of the cell .

Were you using it as a weapon or slinging it around by the strap when it hit something and came to a sudden stop ?

Who else has access to your lights ? A violent action had to cause that . (IMO)

~

Last edited: