light to illuminate handle bar

smarkum

Enlightened
Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!
Hi All, I don't know if this is in the right section . . . but here it goes.
I've recently gotten an new scooter and just went for a ride in the dark. The headlight works great as does the light in the speedo. However, all of the other controls are dark . . . and i don't know the controls by memory yet. I'd like to find a way to illuminate the headset area so that I can see the other controls . . . turn signal switch, brights switch, kill switch, whatever else I can to see. I thought about expoloring headlamps to attach to my full motorcycle helmet, and I will look into that option , but I wondered if there is some other type of light that I could add to the headset (maybe a stick on or an led strip or something) that might be just as easy . . . or safer. I do have access to a plug in charger space that I'm assuming if for charging GPS or something. Don't know if there is something that could plug in there? Anyway, I'm open to your thoughts and direction if something like this has already been discussed. I did a search but I may not know enough about what I'm asking for to do an adequate search! Here's a pic of the headset area. . . .

68666439.jpg

Thanks!

2_i

Newly Enlightened
Faced with such a problem, I made an illumination lamp of my own. I've got a cheap USB goose-neck lamp and basically retained just the gooseneck. I saw in the past something commercial (maybe Sigma), intended for illumination of a bike computer but with little elevation above the handlebars.

2_i

Newly Enlightened
I power it from batteries that are charged by my dynohub. Guided by the design of the USB lamps, I built in a switch into the head of the lamp. In addition, the lamp goes off if the main lights are off. The gooseneck went through 2 iterations. At first, I did not appreciate the accelerations during the ride, that could sway the lamp. The second time I went with a thicker, sturdier neck.