Pen light's?

UVLaser

Enlightened
Pen light\'s?

What is the bright's pen flash light out there that has a clip?. A pen shaped light would be good not like an arc light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And one more Q can I buy one of those light's that a doctor use's to check your eye or ear. They are usually a white color. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MikeW

Newly Enlightened
Re: Pen light\'s?

I think several retail outlets carry them but I do not know off hand. As for brightness it is very bright for a pen light. It is signifgantly brighter then the lights a doctor would use, which are just black incandesant lights normally. They can't be to bright as it is used to check patients eye's.

Regards,
Mike

paulr

Flashaholic

The light ear doctors use is called an otoscope. Eye doctors use all kinds of specialized devices.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think he is referring ot one of these
20030506035118_Photo2.jpg

They sell for about $5 for a 6-pack.

gyverpete

Enlightened

Specs for the Stylus are here:
http://www.streamlight.com/stylus_specifications.htm
I've seen the Stylus penlights in a police-supply/gun shop before. Call one in your area to see if they carry them, or easier yet, use the dealer locator at: http://www.streamlite.com/locator.jsp
enter your zip code, pick "stylus" from the drop-down list and click "search".
A search of Long Island zip 11101 shows six stores within 7 miles. Call before going to be sure they have it in stock.
Specify which color anodizing and LED you want. They take 3 AAAA batteries.

FNG

Enlightened

Ive seen rebranded Stylus's at Clark's Tools. Not sure if its a nationwide chain or not but its an automotive tool store.

admedeus

Newly Enlightened

I got mine a Batteries Plus, if you've got one around. I love mine, great little light. Those batteries are kinda pricey, but I've read hear you can cannabilize a 6V lattern battery and use the small cells inside. I have not tried it, but I'm going to.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

That's a 9v alkaline battery. Do a forum search on AAAA batteries to find the particulars.

sld

Newly Enlightened

"can I buy one of those light's that a doctor use's to check your eye or ear. They are usually a white color."

WelcyAllyn once made medical pen lights. They were very well made and reliable. They used a halogen lamp that produced a very white light, probably to maintain correct color perception. I still have one from a past job. The place closed about 18 years ago and the light still works as good as new. The only problem I have with it is the cost of the replacement lamps, over $10 each! With a little work, a #222 lamp can be used as a replacement. The #222 is a little shorter than the Welchallyn lamp so I add a ball of solder to the center contact of the #222 to make up the difference. The #222 is not as white and no where near as bright as the original lamp. Still makes a good penlight though.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

My local RS sells .6A, krypton 222's. They suck a AAA dry sooner but they are about as bright as a regular Mag AA...for awhile, anyway.