Aluratek

Harold_B

Enlightened
New one on me and I've tried a bunch of them. I wonder who is making them. Plan on getting any?

Harold_B

Enlightened
They take what is typically considered a liability and promote it as a benefit. Smooth. Not that bulbs with a narrow output pattern don't have a place in the market but it's kind of misleading to say that the output pattern of an incandescent which is the standard by which the A19 replacements are measured is the flawed design.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not confident the numbers on that website are correct.
aluratek is a general electronics company. I do not think they make the bulb. Probably just repeating numbers given to them by the manufacturer.

- Voltage: AC85-265V.
This indicates an Asia made bulb. Its 220-240V over there. All other specs could be at 220V. May not perform as well at 120V.

- Service Life: 50,000 Hours.
Looks like the manufacturer just copied the number off Cree or Lumileds website. The 50,000 hours is based on 25°C. The LEDs in a lightbulb is ~85°C. (Reminds me of SSC-P7 torches at DX claiming 900 lumens when most actually measure ~500 lumens because SSC had 760-900 lumens up on their website at one time. SSC have since revised the number to 700-800 lumens but 900 lumens stayed on the torches.) The heatsink is too small. Usually used in 5*1W up to 7W. They are pushing 10W into it further raising the temperature. (When the XP-G 1st came out Ultrafire just swapped them into an XR-E based module. The failure rate was horrid - lack of heat sinking.) The Evolux 2 from EarthLED has a much bigger heat sink.

- Temperature (Kelvin): 10W 4500K-6500K (850lm) - 2600K-3700K (720lm).
Dead giveaway the manufacturer is buying whatever crap LEDs they can find on the open market. 4500K is neutral white. 6500K is cool white. The Quality control of a bulb whose tint can vary from 4500K to 6500K is suspect. A comparison of 4500K vs 6500K tint here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...lights-do-you-love-em-If-not-take-a-look-here!

- Light Output (Lumens): 10W (850lm - 720lm).
If they are really that good why is that bulb not entered in the L-Prize competition?

Light angle 130°
The Philips 800 lumen, the Ecosmart (Lighting science) 850 lumen,and the Utilitech 60 Watt LED all have wider angles.

- Certification: UL / CE / RoHS / PSE.
Ask for the UL number. Then check it out on UL's website.

-

Price - $29.99
At Home Depot:
Philips Ambient LED 12-Watt (60W) A19 Light Bulb 800 lumens - $24.97
EcoSmart 13-Watt (60W) A19 LED Light Bulb 850 lumen - $23.97

-

To the OP,
I probably will take the Evolux 2 or Tuwago over this one.

-----

Hijack
Commenting on a different thread by the OP.
I got my Lighting science 60W from Earthled. The light is a ring with a dim rather dirty looking center. Not suitable for an exposed bulb.
If the light is a ring with a black center I would not mind.

Dr Evil

Newly Enlightened
A 130° beam angle is fine with me. The fixture uses 5 bulbs facing almost directly down. I'd use the Phillips if they face upward. The Evolux would be perfect if it was dimmable.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
5 bulbs? FIVE!

With an incandescent bulb half the light will come down directly, half will go up towards the ceiling. There is ceiling bounce but some of the light will be absorbed by the ceiling. You do not need to replace an 800 lumen incandescent bulb with an 800 lumen bulb of the type you are looking for.
I would suggest replacing one bulb with a Philips or Ecosmart 40 watt equivalent from Home Depot. Or a Utilitech 40 watt equivalent from Lowes. If that works then replace the other 4.

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
L Prize requires CRI>90. You can get more lumens without demanding CRI. So, I doubt that these could even be submitted for the L-prize. Does aluratek mention CRI for any of their bulbs?

I found an identical bulb on alibaba and other 'importer' websites. Nothing special with aluratek. This bulb would've be cool 2 years ago as guinea pig units. Now, they are just plain ol' an' obsolete for a bulb.

HomeDepot has the alienhead Philips 12w 800lm/82CRI A19 bulb on sale for $15.
I guess they need to move out the ol' inventory since the soon to be available updated Lprize winner is ~900lm/90cri at 10w. Both are 2700k.

egghead2004

Newly Enlightened
Yup, I agree, the ecosmart 40w equal is only $8 at HD. Nice color for the bathroom and kitchen. Looking for something a bit warmer for the living room.

Dr Evil

Newly Enlightened
I'll give something with a lower lumen output a try then. The 810lm Sylvania I have just didn't seem that bright which is why I was looking for 5 x 800+ lumen bulbs. I'll take a look around Lowes when I get home. HD is about 45 minutes away. Just far enough to make online ordering cheaper. So something 3000k to 3500k and dimmable about the size of a normal A19. The rest of the kitchen lights will be 3500k LR6s.

Last edited: