PEAK
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: McGizmo Ergonomics set the standard

Default Re: McGizmo Ergonomics set the standard

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    If you want to loosen the clamping force on the clip you can do it with the clip in place. Use multiple shims of some sort that are the same thickness so that as you add to the thickness you have a feel for how much you are lifting the clip off the light body. At some point you will lift the clip far enough to induce some permanent deformation (loosening of the grip force). I would think some plastic sheet stock like credit card thickness would work. If you need to increase the clip's clamping force then you do need to remove it from the light.
    So, just keep adding shims under the clip edge until it bends outward a bit? That almost seems too simple to work. I guess it's the same as bending it by hand except a lot less likely to snap the clip as the pressure is added more gently.

am I seeing it right? u have orings in the spaces in your haiku head? can I please get their sizes and type

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
    I never realized how great the ergonomics are on the Haiku/Sundrop/PD-S until working on a similar sized titanium light (SWM V10R). The V10R felt terrible in my hand & that caused me to analyze the McG design. My conclusion is:

Tail shroud design that flares out slightly. This makes extraction from a pocket easy, even with a super tight pocket clip. It also gives the gripping hand a "back stop" (for lack of a better term).

Reduced body tube diameter between head & tail. Lights that don't have this are much more difficult (for me) to grip.

Design of grooves. The spacing & height of the grooves is ideal for a good grip without being knurled or roughened.

Taking all that into account I McGizmo-ized the V10R by turning away half the grooves:

The difference in feel is night & day. Most of us take for granted the superb ergonomics of Don's lights - I certainly did. There's no doubt in my mind that the Haiku/Sundrop/PD-S has the best feel of any light on the market.

Thank you Don for a superb series of lights.

Quote Originally Posted by jalal20 View Post
    am I seeing it right? u have orings in the spaces in your haiku head? can I please get their sizes and type
    That's exactly what you see

I took my Haiku to the local Ace Hardware store & kept on trying O-rings until a size was found. Some are thicker, some thinner, some wider, etc., so you'll want to find the size that works for you.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through www:Precision.Works

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    So, just keep adding shims under the clip edge until it bends outward a bit? That almost seems too simple to work. I guess it's the same as bending it by hand except a lot less likely to snap the clip as the pressure is added more gently.
    You are basically lifting the clip away from the flashlight body and at some point you will lift it past its ability to return to its normal state. It will return but with less force against the body; that is to say looser clamping force. By doing this incrementally you are more in control and less likely to bend it too far. I don't know if I am being clear on this or not.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    You are basically lifting the clip away from the flashlight body and at some point you will lift it past its ability to return to its normal state. It will return but with less force against the body; that is to say looser clamping force. By doing this incrementally you are more in control and less likely to bend it too far. I don't know if I am being clear on this or not.
    Makes sense to me, just seemed too simple is all.

One benefit of the beartrap clip though, is that it really works. Today I ran two miles with one of my Mules clipped on the elastic waistband of my running pants, on the outside, and it didn't budge a millimeter.

Who runs on a treadmill in a gym with a flashlight? Yeah, that's what this place does to people. At least my shirt covered it to hide the geekiness. And Ti clips hold up well to sweat also.

I disarmed the traps on my Haiku and Mule today, with the shim method. Jammed about 10 plastic membership/gift cards under the clip. It stretched it out just enough. It doesn't look any different and it still grips plenty well, but it is just loosened enough to be able to slide it on my pocket and pull it out without lifting up the clip to get the raised part of the body past my pocket edge. Success!

Enlightened

HI McGizmo! I was over at EDCF and Okie Chick shared a pic and mentioned something about you and some meet a bunch of you had. I kust say, I had no idea you made such nice looking stuff. I was going to ask where one could see a selection, but just noticed a link in someones signature line.

And I thought I was gonna spend money BEFORE! Ha.

It's good to hear so many fans reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SAKplumber View Post
    ... And I thought I was gonna spend money BEFORE! Ha...
    Welcome aboard SAKplumber. Nice images on your Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/71467108@N08/

Don's lights remind me of a potato chip commercial that ran some years ago - "Betcha can't east just one". If you're like most of us you'll end up with a few. Not designed to be shelf queens but perfect for EDC & tough as nails.

I disarmed the traps on my Haiku and Mule today ...
    LOL

This is only slightly OT regarding the McG pocket clip ... there's a Ti pocket clip for knives that has a tension release feature. Made by father & son knife makers Grant & Gavin Hawk:

ZT 0550 with Hawk Grip Clip & McGizmo Ti PD-S.

The PD-S has been carried every day for about five years & the 0550 is a new addition.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through www:Precision.Works

Quote Originally Posted by SAKplumber View Post
    HI McGizmo! I was over at EDCF and Okie Chick shared a pic and mentioned something about you and some meet a bunch of you had. I kust say, I had no idea you made such nice looking stuff. I was going to ask where one could see a selection, but just noticed a link in someones signature line.

And I thought I was gonna spend money BEFORE! Ha.

It's good to hear so many fans reviews.
    Welcome!
    Please give my regards to Okie Chick.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Default McGizmo Ergonomics set the standard

By far, the Haiku is my top favorite.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12