Xml video light Build

H20doctor

Enlightened
6911316187_eff2b30dcc_z.jpg

i started off by using Ledil 70 deg flood optics .. these turned out with a very nice flood , complete flood

6911320841_dd751a74e6_z.jpg

Mounted them onto some alum sinks... and threw them into a mag head

6911343663_0099016b5a_b.jpg

Front View of completed Light rig

6911337175_9db1f9632b_z.jpg

and the Back view..
Drivers are Taskled H6 .. battery packs are 10ea 1.2 volt 4/3 AF Nimh cells 2600 Mah.. 14.2volt packs

Last edited:

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
What beam angle do those reflectors throw? I have built a 3-XML system with no reflectors and next one will have a reflector like those! I think you lose too much throw without some sort of reflector!

betti154

Enlightened
Interesting build. I've been asking the reflector question for some time, having already built several no reflector video rigs.

On the flips side is the field of views, as we are shooting with extremely wide lenses and even 110 degrees with 2 heads is just enough.

My other thoughts have been that with the extra throw you will also get flare (with on camera setups at least). To me this is unacceptable as its too distracting to the viewer, though clarity of water will have a big impact here.

Do you have any in water footage?

Regards,
Damien Siviero
http://damiensiviero.com

H20doctor

Enlightened
well my thoughts on this rig after i built it and sold were as follows:

the optics i used were good, but they didnt throw at all, it was a good flood for about 10 feet, but nothing past that
Our vis here in Puget sound can get really mucky down to 5 feet at worst , average here is 15 to 20 feet , I d like to maybe see more throw with this set up , past the 20 foot mark , and with that said , id prob try throwing in maybe a 50 to 60 deg frosted optic..
What i was trying to get from this set up was massive light to light up a sunken wreck or at least light up a nice reef wall... but i think the optics need to be more in the lower deg range...... any way it was a good first build and i learned alot from it

betti154

Enlightened
well my thoughts on this rig after i built it and sold were as follows:

the optics i used were good, but they didnt throw at all, it was a good flood for about 10 feet, but nothing past that
Our vis here in Puget sound can get really mucky down to 5 feet at worst , average here is 15 to 20 feet , I d like to maybe see more throw with this set up , past the 20 foot mark , and with that said , id prob try throwing in maybe a 50 to 60 deg frosted optic..
What i was trying to get from this set up was massive light to light up a sunken wreck or at least light up a nice reef wall... but i think the optics need to be more in the lower deg range...... any way it was a good first build and i learned alot from it

Interesting here you comments on throw.

I was reviewing some gopro footage which I shot with using two hand held videos lights (each 9 xml @ 2200ma, no optic, ~6000lm each). With the handheld lights, and the gopro as opposed to lights mounted on dslr housing I could begin see exactly how much throw these lights actually put out.

I was actually quite surprised to see useable video light hitting subjects 3-4m away. A consequence of this kind of handheld setup in front of the lens (gopro was helmet mounted) was some horrible flare though causing hospots all over the video at the light source.

Given the trade off between beam width, flare and exposure levels I think I'll stick with the bare led solution until I see something better, at least for on camera solutions. I will increase output though, but to 10000-11000 lumen for the next build though with variable power levels.

Regards,
Damien Siviero
http://damiensiviero.com

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im quite impressed with the coverage. especially since its "only" 70 degrees.

What camera and lens was used?

SmokedCPU

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I'm not so familiar with video lightning even the fact that i made a set of two SST90 light arms, and perhaps some others aren't too. Can you explain the principe behind the need for arms to support light away from camera, so i can explain why i made a such device and look clever ?

betti154

Enlightened
Hi

I'm not so familiar with video lightning even the fact that i made a set of two SST90 light arms, and perhaps some others aren't too. Can you explain the principe behind the need for arms to support light away from camera, so i can explain why i made a such device and look clever ?

The concept of putting artificial light on distance arms away from the lens is primarily about backscatter. If you can avoid lighting up the water in between the lens an subject, you will not illuminate out of focus particles which show up in the image.

Positioning of light source, achieving adequate coverage (by moving back and forward) and reduction of lens flare are also supported by putting lights on arms.

Traditionally backscatter has been more of an issue for still photography with strobes due to the amount of light they emit compared with even 100w halogen light, which ha result is still photographers using really long arms for wide angle shooting). With much more light coming out of a 100w led solution I feel it applies equally to video today. With all that said I use 12"+12" arms on each side for wide still shooting, but only single 12" for equally as wide video (mostly for ease of use).

See also http://www.divephotoguide.com/under...reventing-backscatter-underwater-photography/

mrm6287

Newly Enlightened
Nice build. I'm trying to put together some lights for my gopro set up. Where did you get the loc-line and clamps for the lights?

Thanks!

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Google loc line, there are plenty of people selling. Also Ebay. Usually found through fish tant supply places.
The clamps are Maglite quickclamps, again Ebay, Google search should give you plenty of options.

tomhauburn

Newly Enlightened
Looking right now for GoPro3 Black and learning a lot. I thought 4000K each would be enough. Seems like I missed it a bit.

rodex99

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about reflectors for my 'square of light' project.
If my schoolboy physics is correct, an XM-L in air with a 130 deg projection angle behind a plain sheet of perspex with water on the other side, has an effective angle of around 74 deg. which is not too far off the 62deg of my camera at wide angle.. I assume video is even wider.
Rod.

H20doctor

Enlightened
sorry im not here very much anymore as i have been busy making video lights for divers ... The switch is a reed style that I designed you rotate the knob to turn the canister on..