Retrofitting Adaptive Brake Light kit

rob3rto

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I found this kit.

feliogroup.com/pages/adaptive-brake-light

Has anyone tried it? Fairly cheap I think at around £60 plus whatever import taxes and postage will be.Doesn't activate until over a certain braking force is reached. Different kits too, flash brakes or brakes and hazard lights.Biggest question. would be, is it legal to fit. I am in the UK.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The website tapdances around the quesiton of legality, using language crafted to make the casual reader think this kit has been scrutinized and approved, when in fact that does not appear to be the case. Also, the site grossly overstates the alleged safety benefit of emergency braking display. While it is present on some vehicles, its threshold of activation is so high that most drivers will seldom ever see it in operation. I have to think there is a long list of upgrades to be made to a vehicle, even if we limit the discussion to lighting-related upgrades, that would give a much bigger safety benefit at much lower cost than this kit.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't activate until over a certain braking force is reached.

I see many cars on the road here that could never achieve that braking force.

I'd rather spend my money on making sure the legally-required equipment is in excellent working order.

Also, one of the best ways to not be rear-ended is to keep a safe following distance between you and the car ahead of you. This gives you more room to maneuver around whatever hazard is in front of you, and to accomodate the idiot that's been tailgating you.

A final consideration is that you're adding a layer of complexity to the brake lamp system, complexity that can lead to either failure of the lamps to light, or to misinterpretation of the brake lamps by the driver(s) behind you.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, one of the best ways to not be rear-ended is to keep a safe following distance between you and the car ahead of you. This gives you more room to maneuver around whatever hazard is in front of you, and to accomodate the idiot that's been tailgating you.

this

keep the distance from the vehicle in front of you, and barely need to touch the brakes in traffic jams
if a jabroni behind you gets upset, they will just go around you anyway