Andersen vs Dean connectors

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using Dean connectors from Dx but they have been failing. They just dont seem to be making a good connection after awhile.

I am considering switching to Andersen ( Anderson?) type.

Anyone got any recommendations on a better connector?

Norm

Retired Administrator
I use 30A Anderson power pole connectors on most low Voltage gear around home, Ham gear chargers etc..
Buy genuine, get the correct crimping tool, easy to fit, self wiping, extremely reliable, ambidextrous, much easier to connect than a Dean connector. I tin all wires before crimping and have never had one fail.

I have over the years made up various adapter leads to allow me to adapt to nearly anything.

Norm

flashflood

Enlightened
How about a Richard Dean Anderson connector? That's what MacGyver would use.

(ducks)

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
McG.jpg

CKOD

Enlightened
If youre doing power poles, get a good ratcheting crimper, (I.e. http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-accessories/tricrimp-crimping-powerpole-contacts.html ) and not something hokey pokey like the pliers style crimpers ( http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-accessories/powerpole-crimping-tool-15-30-amp.html )

A good crimp will be better than a good solder joint, but a good solder joint will be much better than a poor crimp.

APP's definitely have a wide variety of options and accessories, and if they fit your size/weight/price requirements, definitely use them.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anderson connectors

ANyone know what size Anderson connectors are used in commercial can lights? Is it the 30 amp or 45amp ones?

Anyone know where to buy them cheap. Im after a dozen or so.

CKOD

Enlightened
Re: Anderson connectors

ANyone know what size Anderson connectors are used in commercial can lights? Is it the 30 amp or 45amp ones?

Anyone know where to buy them cheap. Im after a dozen or so.

The 15, 30, and 45A connectors all use the same housing, just different contacts, sized appropriately for your wire, and iirc intermate fine if thats something you need.