could u recommend some bicycle lights for me?

pearjuice

Newly Enlightened
i am a bike lover , could some recommend where to buy high quality and cheap bicycle lights?

steveo_mcg

Newly Enlightened
High quality/ cheap / bright <--- pick two ;)

Where are you in the world and what type of riding do you want to do?

Deal Extreme do some cheap bright lights, hope do expensive bright lights.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
it seems with all those really cheap (You get what You pay for, but most of them still work ok) lights from chinese shops like dealextreme, most ppl suddenly "need" the latest high power leds run on full power (~700-900 Lumen) or multiled-setups which are even more powerful.
:rolleyes:

For me, I already was perfectly satisfied with the previous single-die led (~200 Lumen) and now these lights offer around 300.
This is a "typical", small, single 18650 flashlight, offering a runtime of about 2 hours; clamped to the bars.
This were any 1*18650 light You read in here.
(extreme cheapo offers will be about $ 50,-- including light, batteries, charger, bar holder)

to see the general idea:
open www.dealextreme.com and klick "flashlights" and then "18650 flashlights" for the flashlights,
or "sports & outdoors supplies", then "bike acessories" and "Bike lights and electronics". there something like the Magicshine MJ808.

PS: Last weekend we did a difficult trail snow ride, where I lent around 2 of my 1*18650 lights and had mine run on medium power (nailbender XM-L P60 insert) and that was totally ok. There simply is no real need for more power.
* "real" bike lights (XM-L on full power with external battery) are too big to bring more than one.
Also they are "single-use" items, as they can only be used for biking, while my flashlights see some use very often.
Of course my personal requirement is small and bright enough, I m more the backpacking guy
;)

Max_Power

Enlightened
Buy a 2xCR123A (or 1x18650) host. I suggest the SolarForce L2 or L2P if you are trying to economize, just be ready to use an aluminum foil shim wrapped around your drop-in LED module for improved electrical and heat conduction. I prefer Malkoff hosts for their great fit and the ability to use a high-low ring (go to low beam by slightly loosening the head.) If you go the rechargeable route, don't skimp on the charger. Get one that has proper cutoff after the battery is fully charged if you want to avoid a "vent with flame" event. (Recommend the Pila IBC.) Don't skimp on the batteries either, you do get what you pay for. AW and Redilast are two good brands.

Once you have the light, you'll need to attach it to the bicycle. The twofish cyclopblock is an excellent solution for street use. I use it to hold a Malkoff MD4 host with 2x18650 cells and a warm white WildCat head on the handlebars. I haven't tested this off-road on the mountain bike yet. Another solution is to strap the light to your helmet, which I have done with a Solarforce L2P and a Malkoff M61N drop-in. You will want a tight beam on your helmet and a more floody beam on the handlebars.

http://www.lighthound.com/Twofish-Cyclopblock-Flashlight-Bicycle-Mount_p_2251.html

Tweel

Newly Enlightened
Maxpower:

I had a problem with thread wear when I used a flashlight for bike commuting. All the removing and replacing the tailcap for recharging was too much for a cheap Deal Extreme light. How long have your lights held up?

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
For quality road-lights (don't blind people/cars coming at you) check out the offerings from Busch & Müller and from Philips. Both companies offer battery-powered ones and dynamo-powered ones.

Max_Power

Enlightened
Maxpower:

I had a problem with thread wear when I used a flashlight for bike commuting. All the removing and replacing the tailcap for recharging was too much for a cheap Deal Extreme light. How long have your lights held up?

DealExtreme lights are false economy for bicycling. If you will be putting yourself in danger when the cheap light fails, then the cheap light isn't giving you good value for your money. One visit to the doctor or hospital will wipe out any savings from buying a cheap (and worthless) light. Being forced to replace a failed cheap light with another cheap light is a common outcome of false economy. I went through a few iterations of this myself before I realized that I could have spent the money up front and been a lot happier for a long time.

I haven't used my Solarforce light much since I don't ride in the dark very often, but Solarforce has a pretty loyal following in the budget light section. My Malkoffs are unquestionably well-built. I haven't heard anything about thread wear issues on either brand of host.

buds224

Enlightened
My Jetbeam ST Cycler has served me well, on bike and as a pedestrian. It has a nice medium with an intermittent turbo flash, like a beacon. Spring contacts on both ends. Very sturdy so far. Good flood too.

glenrexellyn

Newly Enlightened
I just saw a Niterider minewt 150 usb on sale for $49 on the web. Niterider lights have always been reliable for me and the usb option is nice if you need to charge at work.

ttoshi

Newly Enlightened
I just saw a Niterider minewt 150 usb on sale for $49 on the web. Niterider lights have always been reliable for me and the usb option is nice if you need to charge at work.

At that price, the Niterider would be a no-brainer. If you get a 18650 flashlight you would need to buy a good charger and batteries, which is way beyond your budget. The Fenix L2D would probably be near the light of the minewt, but you need rechargable AA (which you may or may not have) and a bike mount (e.g. twofish lockblock).

Good luck,
Toshi

Tweel

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I just saw this: http://shop.hidcountry.com/product-p/300lm-mini.htm
300LM, battery & charger included, $46. I am wary because the price seems a little too good. You don't want to skimp on lithium batteries & charger for fire safety reasons.

Otherwise I am leaning towards a NiteRider Mininewt 300 or the new cordless mininewt 350. Both charge with USB; I could charge @ work.

Eneloops

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure what "cheap" means to you, but I've been really happy with my Fenix E-21 on the Fenix AF02 flashlight holder. They pair up and work really well. The two AA batteries are easy to manage and at 154 lumens, I'm satisfied with the output. The E21 has more "throw" than some, because it's somewhat of a spot light.