anyone try dragon software?

budynabuick

Enlightened
I would like to get this but would like some feed back. This finger pecking is killing me lol. I think my fingers are getting shorter.

Keith

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am testing it, and in transition to using it more widely.

- Dragon NS 10 Standard.
- Logitech G330 headset (I had it for use with skype), but I am plugging it directly into the ports, not via the USB,
(for some reason, that decided to stop working one day)
- My computer is an HP Laptop with an AMD Turion 64x2 TL-60 with 4 gig of ram a pretty fast HD. ( WDC 7500 BKT).
- Win Vista 64 bit
- Libreoffice software, as well as some other stuff

So far, I mostly use Dragon for report dictation, and for that, it works better than I expected. I did run it through the setup and teaching, but it was much faster to do this than older speech recognition software. I am still playing with it, but just to get started, I think I used wordpad to dictate into.

I have not tried the voice control aspect for commands, but frankly for that, a really good mouse is a must.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
My wife uses Dragon to write papers, she swears by it. I don't use it only because I find the slowest part of writing to be the thinking and not the typing, but it is some impressively accurate software..

Eeyore

Newly Enlightened
If you know how to type (most youngsters do), then Dragon software is not worth it. I, on the other hand, type with two fingers. So, for me, Dragon Naturally Speaking is a life saver. I have been using it since version 5. Now I'm on 11. I also have a professional version 10 at work (provided by my employer.) It saves me a lot of time. To gain the most benefits, you need to study the extensive manual. Then you can easily create forms, add long salutations, addresses, etc. If you have a slightest accent, lisp, poor fitting dentures, or tend to mumble, the reliability goes way down.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some years ago I worked at a place where the president of the company wanted to save his administrative assistant the trouble of transcribing his voice recordings by using Dragon Naturally Speaking software. It worked fine for everyone who tried it, but, it didn't work for him because he has an Irish accent. No twiddling with the settings or different vocal profiles worked and he abandoned the idea. I recall that I thought it funny that I could set it up for an Indian speaking English, but, not for an Irishman speaking English. That might have changed in recent years.